News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Proposal to teach slavery as 'involuntary relocation' sent to Texas education board
QuoteA group of nine educators submitted the idea to the State Board of Education, which directed the group to revisit the language, the Texas Tribune reported.

AUSTIN, Texas — Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as "involuntary relocation" under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board.
A group of nine educators submitted the idea to the State Board of Education as part of Texas' efforts to develop new social studies curriculum, according to the Texas Tribune. The once-a-decade process updates what children learn in the state's nearly 8,900 public schools.

"The board -- with unanimous consent -- directed the work group to revisit that specific language," Keven Ellis, chair of the Texas State Board of Education, said in a statement, according to the Tribune.

Board member Aicha Davis, a Democrat who represents Dallas and Fort Worth, raised concerns during a June 15 meeting that the term wasn't a fair representation of the slave trade. The board sent the draft back for revision, urging the educator group to "carefully examine the language used to describe events."

"I can't say what their intention was, but that's not going to be acceptable," Davis told the Tribune on Thursday.

Part of the proposed draft standards obtained by the Tribune say students should "compare journeys to America, including voluntary Irish immigration and involuntary relocation of African people during colonial times."

The board is considering curriculum changes one year after Texas passed a law to eliminate topics from schools that make students "feel discomfort."

The state's public education system has become heavily politicized in recent years, with lawmakers passing legislation to dictate how race and slavery should be taught in schools and conservative groups pouring large amounts of money into school board races.

Texas drew attention for a similar situation in 2015, when a student noticed wording in a textbook that referred to slaves who were brought to America as "workers." The book's publisher apologized and promised to increase the number of textbook reviewers it uses.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

If we're going to have unlimited tax-paid school voucher portability available to people with kids, then I demand an equal tax refund for us bachelors/bachelorettes.

Eddie Teach

The people with kids are funding our retirement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

The Brain

Sweden has had school vouchers for 30 years. NB not valid for home-schooling and similar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 01, 2022, 12:54:38 PMWe're watching the devolution of a modern nation into a fairytale nostalgia-state in real-time.

So the US is becoming a new Iran.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:41:31 AMSweden has had school vouchers for 30 years. NB not valid for home-schooling and similar.

And it is quite controversial, given the considerable decline in the performance of Swedish students on international standardized tests.

Charter schools in the US are basically voucher schools.  Michigan has the largest percentage of students in charter schools (thanks, Betsy DeVos!), and charter school students there perform much worse on standardized tests.

Charter/voucher schools sound good in theory (reduced bureaucracy), but there seems to be no proper accountability for the results and poorly-performing private schools are not closed as they would be in theory.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 02, 2022, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2022, 01:41:31 AMSweden has had school vouchers for 30 years. NB not valid for home-schooling and similar.

And it is quite controversial, given the considerable decline in the performance of Swedish students on international standardized tests.

What's the connection?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

My assumption is the voucher program is intended to have to following effects:

1) A small handout to the wealthy and privileged who are sending their kids to high quality private schools.

2) A reasonable handout and more moral support to folks whose top education priority is that their kids are raised with a value system that includes things like "I'm sick of the separation of Church and State" and "protecting children against the woke LGTBQ+ agenda" rather than fostering critical thinking and problem solving skills.

3) Make it more practical for people who care about racial segregation in schooling to find solutions that work for them.

4) Open up potential money streams for radical right wing / evangelical grifters as well as profit maximizing education companies (with ties to State lawmakers and/ or donors) to target.

If at the same time the education quality of minority groups, non-voters, Democrats, and/ or the gullible deteriorates... well, that's just their own fault for staying in the public school system.

Eddie Teach

I think it's mostly 2).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Voucher programs follow the logic of "defund the police" and apply it to education.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Before desegregation and an end to school prayer conservatives wanted to ban private schools.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2022, 12:37:42 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 02, 2022, 12:11:10 PMI think it's mostly 2).

Interesting. Why is that?

I agree with ET.  These are the people who elected a nitwit to the governor's mansion in Virginia so that he could stop the unspeakably evil, but also non-existent, teaching of Critical Race Theory in Virginia schools.  They are terrified that their kids might be taught to be skeptical about claims lacking proof.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Here we all pay property taxes to support the public school system.  So if parents also pay for private school, they are effectively paying twice.