News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Trying to convince people that the GOP really is a threat when they mindlessly ignore all of the danger signs? No I don't think I'm gonna stop that.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2022, 07:32:13 AMTrying to convince people that the GOP really is a threat when they mindlessly ignore all of the danger signs? No I don't think I'm gonna stop that.

Let me ask you something; when you read, do you ever try to analyze the text to determine if there is something else being communicated that is not expressly stated?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I can totally believe that CC tries very hard to determine what is being communicated that is not expressly stated.  It's the expressly stated parts that he never bothers with.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2022, 08:22:58 AMI can totally believe that CC tries very hard to determine what is being communicated that is not expressly stated.  It's the expressly stated parts that he never bothers with.

About par for the course around these parts.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2022, 09:46:58 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2022, 08:22:58 AMI can totally believe that CC tries very hard to determine what is being communicated that is not expressly stated.  It's the expressly stated parts that he never bothers with.

About par for the course around these parts.

I don't think that is true at all. There are plenty of people around who actually try to have a conversation with what people say in good faith, or something sort of approaching it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Genuine slip of the tongue or something more sinister?

QuoteSenator Says Legalizing Interracial Marriage Was a Mistake, Backtracks Unconvincingly

Mike Braun of Indiana told reporters that the Supreme Court was wrong to strike down state laws that banned Black and white Americans from wedding.

Republican Sen. Mike Braun is attempting a rather unconvincing cleanup job after telling reporters on Tuesday that the Supreme Court was wrong to strike down state laws banning interracial marriage in its landmark 1967 decision, Loving v. Virginia.

Braun, the junior senator from Indiana, made his comments during a media call in which he argued that policy issues should generally be left in the hands of state governments whenever possible, especially in the case of abortion.

"So you would be OK with the Supreme Court leaving the question of interracial marriage to the states?" a reporter asked.

"Yes," Braun answered. "I think that that's something that if you're not wanting the Supreme Court to weigh in on issues like that, you're not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too. I think that's hypocritical."

But afterward, Braun's office issued a statement attempting to walk back the comment, suggesting he had misunderstood the question despite having seemingly answered with unblinking certitude.

"Earlier during a virtual press conference I misunderstood a line of questioning that ended up being about interracial marriage, let me be clear on that issue - there is no question the Constitution prohibits discrimination of any kind based on race, that is not something that is even up for debate, and I condemn racism in any form, at all levels and by any states, entities, or individuals."

grumbler

Quote...let me be clear on that issue - there is no question the Constitution prohibits discrimination of any kind based on race...

Not true.  If it had been true, the KKK (whose true stomping ground was Braun's own state) would not have been so infuriated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

That would have made a great Onion article back in the day

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2022, 01:19:28 PM
It was antifa making trouble on Jan 6th, so they denounced it, allright. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I am beginning to like that guy.
Crenshaw, Greene clash on Twitter: 'Still going after that slot on Russia Today' (msn.com)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2022, 05:51:20 PMI am beginning to like that guy.

Yeah, his tone sometimes reminds me of CdM. :P

https://twitter.com/Stonekettle
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Ohhh!  That's another good one!  :showoff:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2022, 02:57:41 AMYeah, his tone sometimes reminds me of CdM. :P

Ay, Dios mio

Razgovory

I bought a dishwasher last month.  It took two weeks to be delivered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017