News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It only takes one unhinged loon to create massive damage, and this is not a Trump problem, it is a GOP problem. He is the symptom, and when he is gone, the problem will still remain. Someone else will pick it up. The narrative of the "biggest threat remains the sick, sinister and evil people from within our country" was not invented by Trump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2022, 07:24:13 AMIf you are terrified of that you need to toughen up.

The guy was just president for four years, had a majority in both houses for half of it, and the major thing he got through was a tax cut. He commanded the executive branch and tried to launch an insurrection to stay in office and only got a band of goofballs led by a guy in a viking helmet to respond. If he wasn't a threat then, he isn't a threat now that he is out of power and is getting more senile by the day. Notice the crowd sizes of his rallies keeps diminishing.

Trump could vanish tomorrow, the damage has been done.

QuoteWhen do we get to use the guns? No, and I'm not — that's not a joke. I'm not saying it like that. I mean, literally, where's the line? How many elections are they going to steal before we kill these people?

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2022, 07:24:13 AMIf you are terrified of that you need to toughen up.

The guy was just president for four years, had a majority in both houses for half of it, and the major thing he got through was a tax cut. He commanded the executive branch and tried to launch an insurrection to stay in office and only got a band of goofballs led by a guy in a viking helmet to respond. If he wasn't a threat then, he isn't a threat now that he is out of power and is getting more senile by the day. Notice the crowd sizes of his rallies keeps diminishing.

Who do you think "our people" is referring to in the passage Oex quoted?  And what do you think might happen to people not identified as "our people"?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2022, 10:31:46 AM

Who do you think "our people" is referring to in the passage Oex quoted?  And what do you think might happen to people not identified as "our people"?

"our people" probably refers to the american people collectively, while the "you" later in the passage probably refers to trump supporters specifically, who i think are probably considered the only true americans.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2022, 11:40:53 AM

"our people" probably refers to the american people collectively, while the "you" later in the passage probably refers to trump supporters specifically, who i think are probably considered the only true americans.

You may just be trolling.  But if not I suggest you re-read it.  the evil ones being referred to are also Americans and they are clearly being differentiated from "our people".  So I ask again, who are these pure untainted folk that make up the categorie "our people"?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2022, 09:32:51 AM

You may just be trolling.  But if not I suggest you re-read it.  the evil ones being referred to are also Americans and they are clearly being differentiated from "our people".  So I ask again, who are these pure untainted folk that make up the categorie "our people"?

I don't see any reference to "pure untainted folk"...there is a clear "us vs. them" motif going and a reference to "Our biggest threat remains the sick, sinister and evil people from within our country" as the "them". I would think most trump supporters would include people like Hillary Clinton in that group...it ties into his talking points of the "swamp" and "swamp things".

Hillary is white but I don't think anyone in the crowd would think Trump meant to include her in the group of "us", while I don't think many would include Clarence Thomas in the "them". It is divisive and confrontational rhetoric but at least that portion isn't racial. Imo.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2022, 10:54:38 AM

I don't see any reference to "pure untainted folk"...there is a clear "us vs. them" motif going and a reference to "Our biggest threat remains the sick, sinister and evil people from within our country" as the "them". I would think most trump supporters would include people like Hillary Clinton in that group...it ties into his talking points of the "swamp" and "swamp things".

Hillary is white but I don't think anyone in the crowd would think Trump meant to include her in the group of "us", while I don't think many would include Clarence Thomas in the "them". It is divisive and confrontational rhetoric but at least that portion isn't racial. Imo.

let me ask you something, when you read, do you ever try to analyze the text to determine if there is something else being communicated that is not expressly stated?

alfred russel

crazy canuck

Great, now apply that skill

alfred russel

The Larch

Lovely people, these Republicans:

QuoteAbbott says Texas could 'resurrect' SCOTUS case requiring states to educate all kids

Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that Texas would consider challenging a 1982 U.S. Supreme Court decision requiring states to offer free public education to all children, including those of undocumented immigrants.

"Texas already long ago sued the federal government about having to incur the costs of the education program, in a case called Plyler versus Doe," Abbott said, speaking during an appearance on the Joe Pags show, a conservative radio talk show. "And the Supreme Court ruled against us on the issue. ... I think we will resurrect that case and challenge this issue again, because the expenses are extraordinary and the times are different than when Plyler versus Doe was issued many decades ago."

DGuller

Speaking of GOP, is it common for guys to rub their naked bodies against their male cousins?  I never hung out with any of my male cousins, so I don't know what male cousins do for fun, but I imagine that at least in my extended family people would look at you weird if you try that.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2022, 12:23:18 PMLovely people, these Republicans:

QuoteAbbott says Texas could 'resurrect' SCOTUS case requiring states to educate all kids

Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that Texas would consider challenging a 1982 U.S. Supreme Court decision requiring states to offer free public education to all children, including those of undocumented immigrants.

"Texas already long ago sued the federal government about having to incur the costs of the education program, in a case called Plyler versus Doe," Abbott said, speaking during an appearance on the Joe Pags show, a conservative radio talk show. "And the Supreme Court ruled against us on the issue. ... I think we will resurrect that case and challenge this issue again, because the expenses are extraordinary and the times are different than when Plyler versus Doe was issued many decades ago."

Well I guess that is one way to cut property taxes Abbott.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2022, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2022, 12:23:18 PMLovely people, these Republicans:

Well I guess that is one way to cut property taxes Abbott.

You'd figure they'd go back even farther to San Antonio v Rodriguez, and dispense with the entire concept.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2022, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 05, 2022, 10:54:38 AM

let me ask you something, when you read, do you ever try to analyze the text to determine if there is something else being communicated that is not expressly stated?

You might want to cut back on that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?