News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

John le Carré RIP

Started by Sheilbh, December 13, 2020, 05:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

A colleague of mine shared a story re: Le Carré.

A few years ago, she was emptying the flat of her deceased father. She finds a cache of letters between her father and a certain individual. Being a historian she reads them, but they are quite mundane expressions of friendships.

A few years later, she gets around to reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and spots the name of said individual in Le Carré's dedication. She wrote to Le Carré, who, to her surprise, replied - they carried an infrequent conversation for a couple of years. 

Turns out her father was US intelligence in Bonn, where Le Carré was stationed and both learned the ropes from the same guy, Samuel "Dusty" Rhodes. 

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/samuel-t-dusty-rhodes-army-lieutenant-colonel/2014/02/01/485fe814-8537-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html)
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 15, 2020, 09:49:14 PM
A colleague of mine shared a story re: Le Carré.

A few years ago, she was emptying the flat of her deceased father. She finds a cache of letters between her father and a certain individual. Being a historian she reads them, but they are quite mundane expressions of friendships.

A few years later, she gets around to reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and spots the name of said individual in Le Carré's dedication. She wrote to Le Carré, who, to her surprise, replied - they carried an infrequent conversation for a couple of years. 

Turns out her father was US intelligence in Bonn, where Le Carré was stationed and both learned the ropes from the same guy, Samuel "Dusty" Rhodes. 

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/samuel-t-dusty-rhodes-army-lieutenant-colonel/2014/02/01/485fe814-8537-11e3-bbe5-6a2a3141e3a9_story.html)

:cool:

Neat story.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"