News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Do You Say To Anti Vaxxers?

Started by fromtia, December 19, 2020, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I haven't encountered any beyond seeing strangers on the internet being nutjobs. What I'd say depends a lot on the circumstances. In a work environment for instance I try to avoid political discussions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I was ready to stomp on mono b/c of herd immunity, but then I stopped.  Herd immunity is a benefit to those not vaccinated, right?

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2020, 06:51:06 PM
I was ready to stomp on mono b/c of herd immunity, but then I stopped.  Herd immunity is a benefit to those not vaccinated, right?

You should stomp on mono. Not everyone who relies on herd immunity has a choice. For example, inmuno-compromised people can't be inoculated with attenuated (live) viruses. And of course there are many people for whom a vaccine won't actually work (and there's usually no way to tell if it does anyway).

Eddie Teach

Mono is doing his part by getting the vaccine. Not his job to coerce others to do the same.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2020, 06:51:06 PM
Not exclusively.  The vaccine is not perfectly effective, so just like with masks, the total protection is a compound effect of improving your armor as well as degrading others' weapons.

alfred russel

Quote from: chipwich on December 19, 2020, 04:09:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 19, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
When my sister starts on her anti-vaxx stuff I just comment how selfish her position is, relying on others to get vaccinated to protect her and her family.  She gets off the topic immediately.

She probably isn't being selfish, just stupid.

She is absolutely being selfish.

If she thinks that vaccines are effective and wants everyone else to get vaccinated so she gets the benefit of an immune society, then yes she is being selfish.

If she thinks that vaccines are rubbish or even actively harmful, then she is just stupid. In that case, telling people not to get vaccinated isn't selfish, it is just profound ignorance. From her perspective, speaking her "truth" about vaccines is altruistic, and she is probably something of a hero and martyr considering that people with education like grumbler look down on her for spreading the message.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 19, 2020, 08:32:06 PM
Mono is doing his part by getting the vaccine. Not his job to coerce others to do the same.

I think that HK has public health officials who do that job.  Nothing Mono has said leads us to believe that he works in public health.

Mono is doing his part by getting the vaccine, and public health officials are doing their part by keeping track of who isn't, and then finding them, roping them, and tying them off before jabbing them. 

I'd argue for branding them, as well.  Not for failing to get the vaccine, but for being the kinds of assholes that fail to get the vaccine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

To answer the thread question: a heartfelt "Fuck you".

DGuller

I think the non-insane part of society will have to figure out how to productively deal with brainwashed zombies, and I don't think we have yet.  We can't just politely ignore the fact that some people have completely departed reality in order to avoid conflict, but saying "fuck you" is probably not going to be productive either.

Zanza

Of course, but I am not the right person to convince or coerce them, so I guess expressing my disdain of their choices is all I can do.

Private and public actors here are allowed to ask for vaccinations as a precondition for contracts, so I expect that at least airlines etc. will require this eventually...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2020, 01:52:05 PM
Do we have any anti-vaxxers here?

I don't like Vax hoovers, they suck, does that count?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"