News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Do You Say To Anti Vaxxers?

Started by fromtia, December 19, 2020, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromtia

Serious question. I know what I want to say to people who are somewhere on the spectrum of anti vaccine ideology, but I'm refraining from doing so as I don't think it will help lead them out of their misguided position. I'm asking you all this question before I say anything to my colleagues at work, many of whom are vocal opponents of taking any of the vaccines for the current corona virus.

I know where a lot of my colleagues fall politically and the conservative "movement" is now reliably anti vaccine to a greater or lesser extent but in my workplace other anti vaccination types are well represented. Less obviously right wing conspiracy theories, theories about experiments on black people and so on and so forth.

I've been loudly mentioning that I'm thrilled that my father will be getting vaccinated today and I've had some pretty negative responses. Lots of genuinely impressed ones and happy ones, but really a lot of cuckoo-bananas horse shit responses.

In a spirit of trying to encourage people to take public health seriously, how should I respond?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Nothing, I don't normally talk to people when I'm kicking them in nuts.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Richard Hakluyt

Well Pence got vaccinated; or is he also part of the vast post-modern marxist conspiracy?

Darth Wagtaros

Tell them they are true patriots for not falling for the looney leftist autism injections.
PDH!

Crazy_Ivan80

tell them your stocks in companies that sell small coffins are rising.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2020, 01:46:16 PM
Nothing, I don't normally talk to people when I'm kicking them in nuts.

English law-talkers, is assault legal?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Depends on the branch of lunacy and how deep they are.
Life is chemicals does it for me.
And
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Don't think I actually know anyone. Doubtless absolute tonnes from school on Facebook if I checked though :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

I'm counting on the anti vaxxers letting me get vaccinated a lot sooner than I would otherwise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

When my sister starts on her anti-vaxx stuff I just comment how selfish her position is, relying on others to get vaccinated to protect her and her family.  She gets off the topic immediately.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 19, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
When my sister starts on her anti-vaxx stuff I just comment how selfish her position is, relying on others to get vaccinated to protect her and her family.  She gets off the topic immediately.

She probably isn't being selfish, just stupid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

chipwich

Quote from: alfred russel on December 19, 2020, 03:20:24 PM

She is absolutely being selfish.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on December 19, 2020, 03:20:24 PM

She's being both.  Just like the "face diaper" brigade.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

I will get vaccinated myself.  What other people want to do is their own business, so long as they don't meddle with mine.  I have nothing to say to them.