What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on December 14, 2021, 07:54:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2021, 07:39:54 AM
It seems that Amazon was not alone in that kind of shenanigans, another employer in Kentucky was willing to sacrifice its employees' lives to keep the vital supply of scented candles up and running.
Can we maybe not use that kind of language before we know the details of what happened?  When people go around claiming that employers sacrifice their workers' lives without really understanding what happened, it just builds up outrage fatigue and makes it harder to make more certain cases of employee abuse be taken seriously.  Tornados are not like hurricanes; you don't have much warning when they come, and sometimes you're just fucking screwed because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.  People who die in their own homes when tornados hit probably didn't want to sacrifice themselves for any cause either, but they still die.

Oh fuck off already.

Syt

It seems that Amazon was not alone in that kind of shenanigans, another employer in Kentucky was willing to sacrifice its employees' lives to keep the vital supply of scented candles up and running.
Can we maybe not use that kind of language before we know the details of what happened?  When people go around claiming that employers sacrifice their workers' lives without really understanding what happened, it just builds up outrage fatigue and makes it harder to make more certain cases of employee abuse be taken seriously.  Tornados are not like hurricanes; you don't have much warning when they come, and sometimes you're just fucking screwed because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.  People who die in their own homes when tornados hit probably didn't want to sacrifice themselves for any cause either, but they still die.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-tornado-factory-workers-threatened-firing-left-tornado-employ-rcna8581

QuoteMAYFIELD, Ky. — As a catastrophic tornado approached this city Friday, employees of a candle factory — which would later be destroyed — heard the warning sirens and wanted to leave the building. But at least five workers said supervisors warned employees that they would be fired if they left their shifts early.

For hours, as word of the coming storm spread, as many as 15 workers beseeched managers to let them take shelter at their own homes, only to have their requests rebuffed, the workers said.

Fearing for their safety, some left during their shifts regardless of the repercussions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

To be fair, Larch quoted a very different linked article when he wrote his commentary.  The article he originally quoted said none of these potentially damning things.

If the supervisors kept their workers on site because they wanted them to work, then that's damning.  If supervisors were just following safety policies, then it's more ambiguous.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2021, 07:54:52 AM

Oh fuck off already.
You've become a really unpleasant poster.  Yeah, yeah, I know, you're going to say the same thing about me.  Whatever.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2021, 07:48:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2021, 07:47:08 AM
Larch, maybe you don't realize it because of unfamiliarity with tornadoes, but the proper procedure is to stay in the building.

I question the lunacy of keeping operations running with tornadoes running around in the area.

Edit: Cherry on top, threatening workers with firings if they left their shift due to the tornadoes? Not cool.

QuoteFactory workers threatened with firing if they left before tornado, employees say

As a catastrophic tornado approached this city Friday, employees of a candle factory — which would later be destroyed — heard the warning sirens and wanted to leave the building. But at least five workers said supervisors warned employees that they would be fired if they left their shifts early.

For hours, as word of the coming storm spread, as many as 15 workers beseeched managers to let them take shelter at their own homes, only to have their requests rebuffed, the workers said.

Fearing for their safety, some left during their shifts regardless of the repercussions.

At least eight people died in the Mayfield Consumer Products factory, which makes scented candles. The facility was leveled, and all that is left is rubble. Photos and videos of its widespread mangled remains have become symbols of the enormous destructive power of Friday's tornado system.

I would question the lunacy of doing that as well, but nothing you've linked said they kept on working during the tornado.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on December 14, 2021, 08:03:27 AM
You've become a really unpleasant poster.

Not sure I agree there. As Languish goes, Larch strikes me as one of the more relaxed and chill ones.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2021, 08:17:52 AM
You've become a really unpleasant poster.

Not sure I agree there. As Languish goes, Larch strikes me as one of the more relaxed and chill ones.
If you don't challenge him, maybe.  Being on the receiving end of multiple personal invectives, I'm obviously having a different take on it.

grumbler

Oh fuck off already.

OUTRAGED MAN IS OUTRAGED!

Don't let calls for sane and reasonable discourse harsh your OUTRAGE!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2021, 08:14:09 AM
I would question the lunacy of doing that as well, but nothing you've linked said they kept on working during the tornado.

Don't harsh his OUTRAGE! with reason.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Look, there is a national shortage of outrage going on, and we cannot just let chances for more outrage go by without mining them to their full potential.

Why didn't the factory managers just shoot that tornado in its battery? WHY THE FUCK DIDNT THEY THINK OF THAT???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

I am just going to go ahead and be outraged at the report Syt linked, though. I know MURRICA and all that, but still.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on December 14, 2021, 11:43:48 AM
I am just going to go ahead and be outraged at the report Syt linked, though. I know MURRICA and all that, but still.

I am skeptical. It just sounds stupid. Not that people being stupid are that hard to imagine, but this just seems extra dumb. People who run businesses are generally not so totally ignorant of basic relations between employees and managers.

The company denies doing any such thing:

Quote"It's absolutely untrue," said Bob Ferguson, a spokesman for Mayfield Consumer Products. "We've had a policy in place since Covid began. Employees can leave any time they want to leave and they can come back the next day."

He also denied that managers told employees that leaving their shifts meant risking their jobs. Ferguson said managers and team leaders undergo a series of emergency drills that follow guidelines of the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Oh fuck off already.
You've become a really unpleasant poster.  Yeah, yeah, I know, you're going to say the same thing about me.  Whatever.

You're both pretty typical Languish posters, so...  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

I don't find DG's posts at all unpleasant.  :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Oh fuck off already.

No, I'm not going to say that you've become unpleasant. What you've become is unbearable. And what I've become is sick and tired of your continuously obtuse and condescending attitude, as well as your apparent need to police what other people say to decide if it's fair or not. Who made you forum arbiter of what can and can't be said?