What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Remember when trump used to talk a lot about infrastructure then did nothing?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I have a radical idea:  If Republicans don't like what's in the infrastructure bill then they should enter good-faith negotiations and ask Democrats to remove certain offending elements and in return Republicans will vote for the amended bill.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2021, 07:53:48 AM
I have a radical idea:  If Republicans don't like what's in the infrastructure bill then they should enter good-faith negotiations and ask Democrats to remove certain offending elements and in return Republicans will vote for the amended bill.

Here's another radical idea: if the Republicans want a poorly run oligarchic dictatorship, then they should move to Russia and leave the rest of us to run the country.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2021, 07:53:48 AM
I have a radical idea:  If Republicans don't like what's in the infrastructure bill then they should enter good-faith negotiations . . .

I think I've spotted the flaw in the proposal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

https://www.rawstory.com/elaine-chao-2655522078/

QuoteFormer Trump official tells workers it's their 'patriotic duty' to take whatever jobs are offered to them

Elaine Chao, who served as former President Donald Trump's secretary of transportation, chided workers on Monday for not snapping up available jobs on the market.

While appearing on Bloomberg TV, Chao said that while last week's big jobs report was welcome news, there still aren't enough Americans joining the labor force.

"If you look at the labor participation rate, it is still very low, about 61.6 percent," she said. "We, as a country, have to encourage people to come back to work. What we are seeing in the supply chain crisis is basically the lack of workers. There are not enough people to produce goods and services. That is putting inflationary pressures on our economy, adding to the woes of the supply chain."

She then said that it was time for Americans who don't currently have jobs to suck it up and get to work, even if they had already retired or were staying out of the labor force due to fears about the novel coronavirus.

"We basically have 5 million people now who have left the workforce, and because of COVID, some have retired early, some have decided not to come back," she said. "We are going to need these workers to do their patriotic duty to come back and help the economy."

Shouldn't the market solve this, by offering higher wages and salaries to attract employees? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

One issue I have not seen a lot of discussion of is what effect, if any, the eviction moratorium has had on labor force participation.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2021, 12:26:39 PM
https://www.rawstory.com/elaine-chao-2655522078/

QuoteFormer Trump official tells workers it's their 'patriotic duty' to take whatever jobs are offered to them

Elaine Chao, who served as former President Donald Trump's secretary of transportation, chided workers on Monday for not snapping up available jobs on the market.

While appearing on Bloomberg TV, Chao said that while last week's big jobs report was welcome news, there still aren't enough Americans joining the labor force.

"If you look at the labor participation rate, it is still very low, about 61.6 percent," she said. "We, as a country, have to encourage people to come back to work. What we are seeing in the supply chain crisis is basically the lack of workers. There are not enough people to produce goods and services. That is putting inflationary pressures on our economy, adding to the woes of the supply chain."

She then said that it was time for Americans who don't currently have jobs to suck it up and get to work, even if they had already retired or were staying out of the labor force due to fears about the novel coronavirus.

"We basically have 5 million people now who have left the workforce, and because of COVID, some have retired early, some have decided not to come back," she said. "We are going to need these workers to do their patriotic duty to come back and help the economy."

Shouldn't the market solve this, by offering higher wages and salaries to attract employees? :P

What an atrocious headline. They don't even care about honestly reporting her words.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2021, 01:08:12 PM
One issue I have not seen a lot of discussion of is what effect, if any, the eviction moratorium has had on labor force participation.
Maybe a bit - I think the bigger question is addressing the impact the financial crisis had and the general decline in labour force participation in the US since 2000. The US used to be high for the developed world. It's not anymore:

I think it's also higher in Poland, the UK, France, Germany etc. I think productivity is still good and growing - but I think it's an important and under-discussed trend.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Labor force participation for men has been declining very steadily for men in the US since WW2.  The rate of decline moderated in the 80s and 90s and there was a big drop from 2008-2014 but the overall trend is pretty consistent.

For women in the US, participation steadily increased until it hit the low 60s in the late 1990s.  It stayed steady until 2009 and then declined steadily except for a brief recovery around 2019.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

I think this surprisingly earnest article from CNN shows exactly where the United States is in 2021:

QuoteBillionaire heiress Ivy Getty gets married in a gown covered in mirror shards

Artist and model Ivy Love Getty put a high-fashion spin on the idea of a city hall wedding.

Getty, the great granddaughter of late billionaire oil tycoon J. Paul Getty, married photographer Tobias Alexander Engel Saturday on the ornate steps of San Francisco's City Hall, walking down the aisle in a sparkling John Galliano for Maison Margiela Haute Couture gown covered in mirror shards, according to Vogue.

US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi officiated the star-studded ceremony, at which actor Anya Taylor-Joy (the maid of honor), singer Olivia Rodrigo and California Governor Gavin Newsom were among the attendees.

Getty poses in her wedding dress and accessories before the ceremony. Credit: Jose Villa/Vogue

"It's just like everything I could have dreamed of and more," Getty told Vogue. "So it's wild when something so magical comes true because you've thought about it but didn't actually think it would."

Getty's wedding style choices included references to her grandmother, who raised her and -- like Getty's father -- died in 2020. An embroidered couture veil and headdress, Christian Louboutin shoes and Getty's grandmother's jewelry were the finishing touches on the bridal look. The Persian rug-carpeted rotunda at the hall was another nod to her grandmother.

The bridesmaids dressed in gray-lilac satin Maison Margiela gowns. Even Getty's pet Chihuahua, Blue, was dressed to the nines as he delivered the wedding rings per Pelosi's request.

The newlyweds stand among some of their wedding party. Credit: Jose Villa/Vogue

The couple's union was the culmination of an opulent, event-filled wedding weekend, which included a picnic lunch where Getty wore an archived Alexander McQueen gown.

Among the festivities was a British Invasion Mod Party held Thursday night at The Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco (where party-goers were reportedly required to show Covid-19 vaccination cards). Event planner Stanlee Gatti transformed the space into a silvery nightclub with 1968 sci-fi film "Barbarella" in mind. Donning '60s hallmarks such as go-go boots, sequins and big hair, guests danced the night away to music DJed by Mark Ronson and performances by Earth, Wind & Fire.

Getty was the sartorial chameleon of the night: Styled by Carrie Goldberg of CLG Creative, the oil heiress wore a vintage Emanuel Ungaro dress with coral and diamond earrings from Stephen Russell, and a vintage Emilio Pucci dress and D'Accori shoes. The outfits were references to '60s style icons Mary Quant, Twiggy and Jean Shrimpton, Goldberg said to Vogue.

"We agreed that nothing should play it safe, and that we should focus on turning up the volume on the '60s vibe Ivy's so inspired by," Goldberg told the outlet.

Who would have ever guessed that celebrities, billionaires, politicians and the news industry would get along so well?  It's a beautiful world.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on November 11, 2021, 05:02:27 PM
I think this surprisingly earnest article from CNN shows exactly where the United States is in 2021:

(snip)

Who would have ever guessed that celebrities, billionaires, politicians and the news industry would get along so well?  It's a beautiful world.   :)

William Randolph Hurst says "hi!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Why are the bridesmaids in American weddings
often wearing uniform dresses?  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on November 13, 2021, 02:28:56 AM
Why are the bridesmaids in American weddings
often wearing uniform dresses?  :huh:

Because that's a tradition.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.