What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2021, 05:15:27 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 22, 2021, 10:19:55 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on July 19, 2021, 03:54:06 AM
Sounds like a lovely system. :huh:

The whole political mess going on in the US seems very similar to the late Roman Republic.

How late are we talking about? We haven't even had our Tiberious Gracchus yet.

Bernious Gracchus has come and gone.  We haven't had our practical Gracchi yet, and maybe won't.

But the whole political divisiveness and the conservative's willingness to oppose their "evil" opponents through violence are eerily similar, as is he breakdown in constitutional norms.  Trumpeters scoff at the mos maiorum and delight in the idea that putting partisan morons on the judicial benches really "triggers the libs."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2021, 06:59:22 PM
My Latin teacher claimed that our Gracchi were the Kennedys.

Well they're both dead.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Is the US Supreme Court going to reconsider Roe v Wade?

This NPR article makes it sound like it could happen: https://www.npr.org/2021/07/23/1019746478/on-abortion-mississippi-swings-for-the-fences-asks-the-supreme-court-to-reverse-

How likely is it that the court will reconsider Roe v Wade?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2021, 06:35:38 PM
Is the US Supreme Court going to reconsider Roe v Wade?

This NPR article makes it sound like it could happen: https://www.npr.org/2021/07/23/1019746478/on-abortion-mississippi-swings-for-the-fences-asks-the-supreme-court-to-reverse-

How likely is it that the court will reconsider Roe v Wade?

It is clear that a majority of justices want to expand government control over women's sex lives, but some don;t think it is worth setting the precedent that the political party in power overturns all rulings by past courts dominated by the other party.  Fratboy would overturn in a second, I think, and not consider for that second what the long-term implications of his decision were.  Church Lady would rely on the clear concept that only decisions by Republican-dominated courts are "super precedents" that she needs to consider; mere stare decisis would not, in her mind, outweigh what Jesus is telling her to do.  I think that Roberts and maybe Alito would be the roadblocks to overturning such a long-standing and oft-cited ruling.

But I can almost guarantee that, if RvW is overturned by this court, the decision to overturn will itself be overturned by the first Democratically-dominated court.    Overturning RvW would be the end of any pretense that there is one Supreme Court, rather than a bunch of self-serving Supreme Court factions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

In a way I think it would be good for the SC to discredit itself.  It doesn't deserve the legitimacy it still enjoys.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2021, 09:18:39 PM
In a way I think it would be good for the SC to discredit itself.  It doesn't deserve the legitimacy it still enjoys.

And then the rule of law totally evaporates.

The Brain

Have you tried turning the US off and turning it on again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

We've had a good 240 year run.  That's enough for the history books.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on July 24, 2021, 02:45:25 AM
Have you tried turning the US off and turning it on again?

Perhaps Trump was the equivalent to turning us off.  But alas, we're rebooting with an older hard drive.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2021, 06:51:46 PM

But I can almost guarantee that, if RvW is overturned by this court, the decision to overturn will itself be overturned by the first Democratically-dominated court.    Overturning RvW would be the end of any pretense that there is one Supreme Court, rather than a bunch of self-serving Supreme Court factions.

You are assuming there will be a Democratically dominated court...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2021, 02:20:22 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2021, 09:18:39 PM

And then the rule of law totally evaporates.

With the recent intense politicization of your Supreme Court and all federal judicial appointments, I am not sure there is much left.

Oexmelin

"In private calls with voting rights groups and civil rights leaders, White House officials and close allies of the president have expressed confidence that it is possible to 'out-organize voter suppression'"

:wacko:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/22/us/politics/biden-voting-rights.html?referringSource=articleShare
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Sounds obvious to me.  What am I missing?

Oexmelin

Because it's not? "This game is rigged! I sure hope I can win it, so I can change the rule again".

Quite aside from the fact that voter suppression is an affront to the democratic principle, and should be fought on those grounds with all possible energy, current Republican measures are all designed to prevent another Georgia 2.0. Republicans are currently making sure they take control of the certification process, which would likely be able to overturn any sort of close call. The sort of margins you get in contested territories are minuscule, and you'd need a herculean effort to offset them, which the Democratic establishment seems quite incapable to do, much less sustain - precisely because it's so timid about... everything. Considering the Republican Kool-Aid right now, I am not sure that even some huge margin - like 80% - would convince them it's not a steal.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Ah, that's a different argument than the one I was responding to.

I was saying you can out organize reduced voting hours etc.

I agree you can't out organize Republican election officials overturning election results.