What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 09, 2021, 04:30:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 01:07:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 11:16:01 AM
The only black USSC Justice on the court was nominated by a Republican.

Sure. And Republicans passed the 13th Amendment. But that is all ancient history now. If GHW Bush was still representative of the modern party I would feel very differently about it.

Ben Carson was briefly ahead in the polls in 2016, before people found out he was crazy.

Yeah with like 18% or something. And I dispute the notion that was before his positions were known or that his quick collapse were due to that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 11:16:01 AM

The only black USSC Justice on the court was nominated by a Republican.

Can you expand on what your point is here?

Clarence Thomas is so radically right wing that he isn't even taken seriously by other conservative judges.

Are you seriously arguing that because the GOP found a insanely right wing black person to park on the USSC, that means....what exactly, about their position on race and racial equality?

How should we balance that, for example, with the GOP's war on CRT?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 12:00:29 PM

edit: fuck off with trying to equate the racists in the GOP with people with mental disabilities. You know exactly what the insult was intended to convey.
you are equating people with mental disabilities to Republicans.  It is extremely insulting for the disabled people.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 09, 2021, 09:22:30 PM

edit: fuck off with trying to equate the racists in the GOP with people with mental disabilities. You know exactly what the insult was intended to convey.
you are equating people with mental disabilities to Republicans.  It is extremely insulting for the disabled people.

I agree.  disabled people do not share the characteristic of being unprincipled despicable human beings, unlike the modern day GOP.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 10:46:18 PM

I agree.  disabled people do not share the characteristic of being unprincipled despicable human beings, unlike the modern day GOP.

Great but GOPtard as an insult has retard as its root. And that term isn't really something thst sensible people use as an insult.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2021, 11:43:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 10:46:18 PM

Great but GOPtard as an insult has retard as its root. And that term isn't really something thst sensible people use as an insult.

You are right.  I will stop using that term.

OttoVonBismarck

I see this forum has gone full woke.

Jacob

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

I wonder, what does it take to count as being woke?  Let's say you're saying something that you feel is deeply stupid, but you're saying it because that's the only socially acceptable thing to say in your environment.  Does that make you woke?  Or do you have to be a true believer?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on July 15, 2021, 02:27:13 PM
I wonder, what does it take to count as being woke?  Let's say you're saying something that you feel is deeply stupid, but you're saying it because that's the only socially acceptable thing to say in your environment.  Does that make you woke?  Or do you have to be a true believer?

In my observation you can be dismissed as being too woke if your opinions are to the left of the speaker in matters related to the greater American culture war.

So in the case you outline, yes that makes you woke in the eyes of of those who refuse to mouth those platitudes in your environment (or who are from an environment where they are not under pressure to do so). Conversely, you will not be deemed woke by those who sincerely subscribe to the opinions you are merely mouthing (assuming they even clue into the fact that you don't actually believe what you're saying).

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 15, 2021, 02:08:34 PM
I see this forum has gone full woke.

No, I think our transgender megathread prevents us from collecting any woke badges.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 15, 2021, 02:27:13 PM

You are what you do. Not what you think you are.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.