What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on July 07, 2021, 04:36:04 PM
Taliban was in charge, pushed out by the coalition, fought for 20 years, and if they take over after all that time it seems reasonable to conclude that is as legitimate "self determination" for Afghanistan as independence was for the USA in 1776-1783.

If you go back a bit further to the USSR occupation and the US support of the resistance fighters, followed by the failure to help after the USSR withdrawl, the full magnitude of the policy failure of the West comes into full focus.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2021, 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2021, 02:27:20 PM
Non-Taliban Afghans, instead of fighting for their country, moved to Germany.

I don't think that's completely accurate....

Yeah, some moved to Sweden or France as well.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on July 07, 2021, 04:36:04 PM
Taliban was in charge, pushed out by the coalition, fought for 20 years, and if they take over after all that time it seems reasonable to conclude that is as legitimate "self determination" for Afghanistan as independence was for the USA in 1776-1783.

The Taliban ruled some parts of Afghanistan after the Soviets left, true, but what you are espousing here isn't "self-determination;" what you are espousing is "might makes right." That is, of course, your choice, but you shouldn't try to fool yourself or us that you are making some generalization abourt the "founding principles of the US."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2021, 05:52:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2021, 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2021, 02:27:20 PM
Non-Taliban Afghans, instead of fighting for their country, moved to Germany.

I don't think that's completely accurate....

Yeah, some moved to Sweden or France as well.  :P

I think it eases Yi's conscience to pretend the Americans are not abandoning people. 

It might be the correct policy decision, I am not sure what the correct decision is here.  But he should not be pretending it does not have consequences for those left behind.

Admiral Yi

Dude on NPR just pointed out in the course of a discussion about the impending minority-majority change in the US that all three branches of the government are headed by practicing Catholics (Biden, Pelosi, and Roberts) and that this is totally unremarkable now.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2021, 07:48:21 PM
Dude on NPR just pointed out in the course of a discussion about the impending minority-majority change in the US that all three branches of the government are headed by practicing Catholics (Biden, Pelosi, and Roberts) and that this is totally unremarkable now.

Progress indeed, though I think if it happens that three Jewish Americans do the same, the conspiracy wack-jobs/ some GOPtards will go into overdrive.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Solmyr

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on July 09, 2021, 01:21:04 AM
What about three African-Americans? :unsure:

We can only hope.  Of the many positives, it will mean the GOPtards lost and democracy in the US survived this era of chaos.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 11:07:51 AM

We can only hope.  Of the many positives, it will mean the GOPtards lost and democracy in the US survived this era of chaos.

:rolleyes:

The only black USSC Justice on the court was nominated by a Republican.

And the use of "tard" is highly disrespectful to those with mental or developmental difficulties.  I know it has historic usage around here but I would recommend avoiding it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 11:16:01 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 11:07:51 AM

:rolleyes:

And the use of "tard" is highly disrespectful to those with mental or developmental difficulties.  I know it has historic usage around here but I would recommend avoiding it.

Are you seriously suggesting that the success of the present day GOP and having a Black President, Chief Justices and Majority Leader are consistent with eachother?

Can you not see what has happened to the conservatives in the US?

edit: fuck off with trying to equate the racists in the GOP with people with mental disabilities. You know exactly what the insult was intended to convey.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 12:00:29 PM
edit: fuck off with trying to equate the racists in the GOP with people with mental disabilities. You know exactly what the insult was intended to convey.

I know exactly what it was meant to convey.  You were trying to equate the GOP as being "retards".

That word is very hurtful to people with developmental disabilities and I recommend you not use it in future.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2021, 12:00:29 PM

I know exactly what it was meant to convey.  You were trying to equate the GOP as being "retards".

That word is very hurtful to people with developmental disabilities and I recommend you not use it in future.

Ok, you didnt.  I was equating them with racist fascists who choose to follow Trumpism in their pursuit of power. 

I recommend you not defend such people in the future.

Valmy

Sure. And Republicans passed the 13th Amendment. But that is all ancient history now. If GHW Bush was still representative of the modern party I would feel very differently about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Republicans are committed to the violent overthrow of the lawful US government and the polishing of Putin's scrotum. Whatever else Republicans were once in ancient history is completely irrelevant today.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 01:07:34 PM

Sure. And Republicans passed the 13th Amendment. But that is all ancient history now. If GHW Bush was still representative of the modern party I would feel very differently about it.

Ben Carson was briefly ahead in the polls in 2016, before people found out he was crazy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?