What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2021, 09:23:39 AM
Something about that analogy doesn't quite work . . .

Who knows what the sensitivities will be in 150 years. It is possible this will be viewed as an extraordinarily corrupt time and Trump's corruption not necessarily notable. Maybe the rise of bureaucratic states and excessive international cooperation (moving forward to stifle innovation) will be seen as the ultimate failings of the early 21st century.

I'm definitely stretching because trump didn't actually try to do that much.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on July 01, 2021, 07:59:12 AM
And Beebs kind of loses his mind. If he gives the right wing story, why, that is just part of the discussion. But if you give the left wing story, that is beyond the pale, and some kind of personal attack on him.

:jaron:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Maybe a better angle would be that he pushed back against the global elites that ended up cementing control of the global economy/political system for a time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2021, 09:34:52 AM
Maybe a better angle would be that he pushed back against the global elites that ended up cementing control of the global economy/political system for a time.

Did he
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Some Trump presidency positives:

1) Helped cable news ratings and newspaper sales at a time when revenues were under pressure
2) Although tariffs hurt trade, massive imports of MAGA hats helped buoy Chinese economy
3) Helped Fiona Hill get a better paying job
4) Didn't lose the presidency to Kanye West
5) Second best President in history whose last name begins in "Trum"
6) Finally got the SOB out of New York
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on July 01, 2021, 09:17:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2021, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 01, 2021, 07:29:58 AM

They have to be dead, for one. Whatever they do after leaving office can still influence how their presidency will be judged.
Plus, after they're dead things will be said that couldn't be said before.
And I guess whatever duration is placed on restricting archive records to historians.

Is there any chance that Trump's reputation will improve?

Only if it get worse from here on  :P

But I suppose he really could have had seriously impaired mental faculties during his presidency, because of illness or age.
It wouldn't necessarily improve his reputation, but maybe he couldn't be fully held accountable either.

He accepted and then held onto a role where he wasn't fit to discharge his duties? How is that not on him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2021, 09:21:58 AM

Absolutely.  Once the evidence comes out that the Italian satellites conspired with the Jewish orbital lasers to switch ballots from Trump to Biden, and the Dear Leader's 99% landslide victory is confirmed, Trump's reputation will rise.  And his place in history will be cemented when subpoenas to the CDC force them to disgorge their secret studies showing that a combination therapy of hydroxychloroquine and bleach is more effective vs COVID than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

Yes, I can see that if mainstream shifts fully to the crazies then, of course his standing will improve as there will be no one else to say otherwise.

But I guess to some extent we're judging all the former office holders by comparison to a 'platonic form' of a president and on that he would still look bad. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 01, 2021, 09:34:30 AM
And Beebs kind of loses his mind. If he gives the right wing story, why, that is just part of the discussion. But if you give the left wing story, that is beyond the pale, and some kind of personal attack on him.

Sad end for a once great poster.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2021, 05:16:39 PM
I have a question: how long do you folks think is a reasonable time that should pass before a useful historical consensus can form concerning the worth of a particular leader?

Obviously, right after they leave office is not a good time, as supporters and enemies alike will tend to exaggerate their virtues and vices. Plus, it is not enough time to see if the choices they made turned out well or not.

The converse could also be true - too much time, and they have values that are simply too alien to modern reviewers, it becomes difficult to judge them. Or they become heavily mythologized and we are judging the myth and not the leader.

They have to be dead, for one. Whatever they do after leaving office can still influence how their presidency will be judged.
And I guess whatever duration is placed on restricting archive records to historians.

He's already a God to his supporters, so no, it won't go further. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2021, 10:08:46 AM

:rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Absolutely.  If "Trumpism" remains the GOP ideology state legislatures will mandate pro-Trump lesson plans for public schools.  Kids will learn that Trump is the best thing since sliced bread there by improving his reputation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2021, 10:04:54 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 01, 2021, 09:17:08 AM

Only if it get worse from here on  :P

But I suppose he really could have had seriously impaired mental faculties during his presidency, because of illness or age.
It wouldn't necessarily improve his reputation, but maybe he couldn't be fully held accountable either.

He accepted and then held onto a role where he wasn't fit to discharge his duties? How is that not on him?

If he made those decisions with compromised mental faculties, I don't think he should necessarily be held fully accountable. Is that such a weird thing to say?

If someone with dementia walks into the wrong house, you would lock them up?

Jacob

I think the argument is that if you know you have dementia, you and insist on taking on responsibilities that put people's lives at risk then you are culpable.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2021, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2021, 10:08:46 AM

:rolleyes:

True he hasn't started posting blood soaked crime scenes.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2021, 10:28:16 AM

Absolutely.  If "Trumpism" remains the GOP ideology state legislatures will mandate pro-Trump lesson plans for public schools.  Kids will learn that Trump is the best thing since sliced bread there by improving his reputation.

The DeSantis administration will mandate it nationwide during his third term.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help