What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2021, 03:26:47 PM
His admin certainly did laugh it off - there are recordings of press conferences where his press secretary is cracking jokes about whether the journalist asking about the Presidents response had AIDS.

I think the knock on Reagan was mostly that he just stayed completely silent, and his administration was clearly uninterested in the problem.

And at the time, the right in America was VERY much all about the "gay plague" and how this was retribution for the sin of homosexuality.

I mean I was there, though just a kid, but this is kind of how it seemed to play out.

The turning point seemed to be Magic Johnson. It was amazing how seriously everybody seemed to take things after 1991.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I'd also recommend reading and watching How To Survive a Plague which covers the late 80s and early 90s because there was an enormous amount of activism and anger that also helped focus attention. They were particularly focused on the FDA and other bits of the health bureaucracy.

But their attention grabbing was also an important factor in people taking it seriously because, I think, without that it probably would have relied on celebrity infections like Rock Hudson and Magic Johnson to get any mainstream coverage at that time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2021, 03:32:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2021, 03:26:47 PM
His admin certainly did laugh it off - there are recordings of press conferences where his press secretary is cracking jokes about whether the journalist asking about the Presidents response had AIDS.

I think the knock on Reagan was mostly that he just stayed completely silent, and his administration was clearly uninterested in the problem.

And at the time, the right in America was VERY much all about the "gay plague" and how this was retribution for the sin of homosexuality.

I mean I was there, though just a kid, but this is kind of how it seemed to play out.

The turning point seemed to be Magic Johnson. It was amazing how seriously everybody seemed to take things after 1991.

Rock Hudson coming out as having AIDS seemed like a big deal in (checks) 1985.

Ninja'd by Sheilbh. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:36:21 PM

Ninja'd by Sheilbh. <_<

True. I was a kid and had never heard of Rock Hudson so that event probably didn't register with me at the time. 1985 also seems to be a turning point at least according to this thread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

My 5th grade teacher said that she was sorry for us because our generation wouldn't be able to have one night stands the way her generation did. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2021, 03:37:34 PM

Ninja'd by Sheilbh. <_<

True. I was a kid and had never heard of Rock Hudson so that event probably didn't register with me at the time. 1985 also seems to be a turning point at least according to this thread.

I'd never heard of him either as a kid, but the media seemed to make a big deal about it.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2021, 03:15:32 PM
You really take this stuff personally though.

I'm not taking it personally at all.  Fuck you and have a nice day. :)

It's very amusing how intentionally insulting you are towards people who disagree with you, and I don't doubt that you imagine it is in response to some kind of actual slight. But the slight is just....disagreeing with you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2021, 03:42:35 PM

It's very amusing how intentionally insulting you are towards people who disagree with you, and I don't doubt that you imagine it is in response to some kind of actual slight. But the slight is just....disagreeing with you.

:jaron:

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:41:54 PM

Ninja'd by Sheilbh. <_<

I'd never heard of him either as a kid, but the media seemed to make a big deal about it.

He was actually a friend of the Reagans - they had known each other for some time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2021, 03:46:55 PM

He was actually a friend of the Reagans - they had known each other for some time.

Interesting. It kind of shows how political considerations can often trump personal ones.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:41:54 PM

Ninja'd by Sheilbh. <_<

From what I've read it's the inflection point in public attention from indifference to panic.

Also just watching that film of press conferences (which are only audio) and a reporter was asking about whether it could transmit by saliva in December 1984 (apparently citing the CDC), which was about two years after it was clear how it transmitted and shows the issue with "bodily fluids" language. Someone jokingly shouts out "is the President going to ban mouth to mouth kissing?"

QuoteHe was actually a friend of the Reagans - they had known each other for some time.
Yeah I don't want to say it took one of his friends to die for it to be a big deal in terms of motivation, and Reagan's first mention of AIDS which was in a press conference came two weeks before Hudson disclosed his diagnosis. But there is sort of something to it in pure timing terms.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:44:25 PM

You are coming across rather odd in this exchange. I'm not sure why you'd want to defend the train wreck of the American Right.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2021, 03:58:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2021, 03:44:25 PM

You are coming across rather odd in this exchange. I'm not sure why you'd want to defend the train wreck of the American Right.

:moon:

Valmy

Ok moving from hilariously passive aggressive to just plain aggressive is not fun.

The Brain

BB gave an opening to end it by his humorous fuck you post. But Berkut just can't help himself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.