What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2021, 02:41:07 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 08, 2021, 02:35:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2021, 02:34:11 PM
It didn't collapse so much as faded away. Literally in the East.

Ok but it still ceased to exist at some eventual point in history, I hope we agree on that much.

Anyhow, I have long forgotten what my original point was, I am dead tired from work, had my second AZ shot this morning, and have drunk some beer. Move on. :P

Yeah I think we can all agree it does not currently exist :P

I feel like its final death knell was the rise of national identities in Europe. Eventually a Roman identity came to be an Italian Nationalist thing (or an Orthodox Christian nationalist thing on the other end).

476 is an arbitrary date chosen because Rome, the city, fell in that year, and the Roman Emperor was deposed and replaced by a non Roman citizen who made itself Emperor of Rome.  But we can all agree that by that time, there wasn't much of the Western Empire left, it was a long process and it continued for some time.  I would put the definite end at the beginning of the 7th century when the Western Roman Senate ceased to exist entirely.  Even though it's influence had waned since the end of the Republic, imho, that was the last vestige of the Western Roman Empire.

After that, many people may have claimed to be Roman, the new Rome, the 3rd Rome, etc, but it was just a way to use the prestige of the name.  Russia's only ink to Rome was a Tsar marrying the niece of the Byzantine Emperor.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2021, 02:34:11 PM
It didn't collapse so much as faded away. Literally in the East.

Agreed--What can be seen to have collapsed is rule in the West by an Emperor seated at Rome who, through loyal subordinates administered the vast reaches of the Empire, supported and hosted legions that served said Emperor and etc.

Most of the "successor" Kingdoms of Western European peoples went through a long period in which they used rhetoric and systems that continued right on from the time of the "centrally controlled" Western Empire and they just gradually fractured into different systems and traditions until eventually the "conception" of being Roman died too.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1UFHnRg4xw

The Georgia psycho chick apologizes for the Holocaust comment.

I honestly think this is about the slowest coming political apology i can remember.

Monoriu

How is it possible that anyone can compare the Holocaust with mask mandates?  :blink:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 11, 2021, 08:57:31 AM
Agreed--What can be seen to have collapsed is rule in the West by an Emperor seated at Rome who, through loyal subordinates administered the vast reaches of the Empire, supported and hosted legions that served said Emperor and etc.

By that measure it collapsed a lot earlier; that doesn't really describe the empire at any point after the 2nd century.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 14, 2021, 10:55:51 PM
How is it possible that anyone can compare the Holocaust with mask mandates?  :blink:

Everything gets compared to the Holocaust. Even stuff that is supposed to save lives.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Speaking of Nazi analogies, Biden is the American Konrad Adenauer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2021, 10:45:58 AM
Speaking of Nazi analogies, Biden is the American Konrad Adenauer.

Or possibly Hermann Müller.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

The Senate has unanimously agreed to make Juneteenth a federal holiday.

Eddie Teach

I guess Strom Thurmond is really gone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 15, 2021, 08:40:13 PM
According to Wiki, he is indeed gone.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2021, 08:15:14 PM

And yet, too late for it to give us all a day off this year.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2021, 09:18:47 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 15, 2021, 08:40:13 PM
According to Wiki, he is indeed gone.

Well, he did run for President in 1948. However, it's said the dark side may lead to abilities many consider unnatural...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2021, 10:30:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2021, 08:15:14 PM

And yet, too late for it to give us all a day off this year.

Well it is a Saturday this year anyway.

The day the Federal Government made Texas stop it's bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.