What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2021, 05:30:54 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2021, 07:58:54 PM
In an epoch of generalized population collapse, the nations that succeed in pulling in a regular flow of immigrants will have a critical strategic advantage; the rest will stagnate.

As is evidenced by the Roman Empire.

:huh:  The Roman Empire was not a nation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 05:41:15 AM
In an epoch of generalized population collapse, the nations that succeed in pulling in a regular flow of immigrants will have a critical strategic advantage; the rest will stagnate.

Also not a generalized population collapse.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

It is generalized though. Practically every country in the world is having the collapse outside of Africa, and even then I think the trajectory is downward. Pretty soon we will wish we had immigrants from Latin America wanting to sneak in.

So I question the idea that a regular flow of immigrants will even be possible in a world where most countries are below replacement level.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I mean I don't think anybody has entire mobile countries, complete with military forces capable of defeating theirs in open battle, crossing into their territory en masse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 08:35:12 AM

I mean I don't think anybody has entire mobile countries, complete with military forces capable of defeating theirs in open battle, crossing into their territory en masse.

You appear to understand what Tamas was trying so clumsily to say, so share it with us.  Was he claiming that the Roman Empire was an example of a nation (yeah, I know) that was pulling in a regular flow of immigrants and so avoided stagnation, or that the Roman Empire didn't pull in the immigrants and therefor was stagnant for 600 years or so or something else?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 09:11:59 AM

You appear to understand what Tamas was trying so clumsily to say, so share it with us.  Was he claiming that the Roman Empire was an example of a nation (yeah, I know) that was pulling in a regular flow of immigrants and so avoided stagnation, or that the Roman Empire didn't pull in the immigrants and therefor was stagnant for 600 years or so or something else?

The claim I see tossed around was that the Roman Empire was destroyed because they let all those Germanic "immigrants" move in. They eventually took over, like the recent scourge of Muslim immigrants are soon going to do.

Something like that.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 09:13:33 AM

The claim I see tossed around was that the Roman Empire was destroyed because they let all those Germanic "immigrants" move in. They eventually took over, like the recent scourge of Muslim immigrants are soon going to do.

Something like that.

I hope for Tamas's sake it's not something that stupid.  The Romans "welcomed" the German "immigrants" like the Germans "welcomed" the Western Allied "immigrants" at Normandy in June 1944

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 09:26:37 AM

Something like that.

I hope for Tamas's sake it's not something that stupid.  The Romans "welcomed" the German "immigrants" like the Germans "welcomed" the Western Allied "immigrants" at Normandy in June 1944

By disarming them, and drafting some into their army? And settling the others with their families (that presumably were on the landing craft) into new groups by breaking up family clans?

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on June 07, 2021, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 09:26:37 AM

Something like that.

By disarming them, and drafting some into their army? And settling the others with their families (that presumably were on the landing craft) into new groups by breaking up family clans?

No, by fighting them off as long as possible, and then retreating when forced to.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on June 07, 2021, 06:59:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 05:41:15 AM

Also not a generalized population collapse.

Well except for a couple of plagues...

Threviel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 07, 2021, 10:32:26 AM
Well except for a couple of plagues...

Well, yeah, the Antonine and Justinian plague hit the empire harder than the barbarians. But it recovered from the Antonine and the Justinian I interpreted as after the fall of the empire in this case, seeing as one often equates the fall of the west as the fall of the whole. The plagues presumably hit Persia just as hard though, and that was the only serious peer enemy.

Razgovory

The population of Europe decline by quite a bit in the late classical/early medieval periods.  It didn't recover until the high middle ages.  Plagues don't' hit all areas equally.  Areas that have had significant disruptions of the food supply get hit with plagues much harder than areas where food is plentiful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The Roman Empire doesn't really have anything to do with the issue . . . FWIW 19th century America indicates the advantage of a high immigration industrial economy over slave-based agrarian economies as a general principle. . .

It's hard to talk about immigration in ancient Rome in any meaningful way because the concept of "immigration" doesn't really translate and even if it did we don't have anything resembling useful data to say anything intelligent about it.  What we can say is the the Roman polity lasted as long as it did in significant part because it was very successful in expanding the pool of talent and manpower it drew from. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 07, 2021, 10:24:37 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 07, 2021, 09:51:03 AM

No, by fighting them off as long as possible, and then retreating when forced to.

Well, you are both right, aren't you? Both happened.

I agree that Rome's collapse was mostly a military affair. But I think it was also socio-economic in the sense that a lot of the population ruled over had no real investment in the Roman system, since they were not beneficiary of it neither did they identify with it too much culturally.

That still had little to do with immigration but also that could not had helped with these otherwise natural processes.

I just don't think quickly absorbing as many immigrants as possible is such a clear-cut advantage for a political unit as it was made out to be by Minsky's comment. Although, depends on the timeframe as well I guess. e.g. from Hungarian history, letting the Cumans in following the Mongol destruction was a big short-term boost, a lot of medium and long-term problem but eventually a big net positive as it helped the country ("nation" if you will) survive and whatever it meant to be Cuman was eventually (in a space of 500 years) absorbed into what it meant to be Hungarian.  Following the Ottoman destruction a lot of German, Slavic, and Romanian settlers were invited to what was for sure already significant populations of them, since large areas of the country were depopulated. It sure helped but in the meantime what a "nation" meant has switched from subjects of the same crown to ethnic/cultural identities and the increasing problems from these eventually destroyed what at the start of the process was considered the "nation".