What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It's too bad that this is in a virtual form and we won't be able to print it out for warmth when the climate implodes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2021, 08:11:39 AM
Hey....how did we end up with 6 Supreme Court justices from the Tea Party when we won that damn argument so convincingly! How is it that the Senate is half fucking Trump troglodytes when we keep winning our argument so thoroughly????

Because of the structural issues within your system? I mean you have a President that lost the popular vote, nominating SC judges by having Wyoming senators overrule California senators.

Tlaib can be on message all she wants, it's not going to flip Wyoming.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 02, 2021, 11:36:27 PM
Hey....how did we end up with 6 Supreme Court justices from the Tea Party when we won that damn argument so convincingly! How is it that the Senate is half fucking Trump troglodytes when we keep winning our argument so thoroughly????

Because of the structural issues within your system? I mean you have a President that lost the popular vote, nominating SC judges by having Wyoming senators overrule California senators.

Trump had a greater percentage of the vote than Trudeau's party did.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2021, 03:22:32 AM

But neither Trudeau nor Trump ever themselves faced a nationwide popular vote.  Heads of Government are indirectly elected in both countries.  Same with the UK and France.  A lot of people don't appear to know this, which surprises me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

If he is on message, and the rest f the party is on message, then it can most certainly flip plenty of states that are not Wyoming.

I don't understand how this isn't just obvious.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2021, 06:52:30 AM

But neither Trudeau nor Trump ever themselves faced a nationwide popular vote.  Heads of Government are indirectly elected in both countries.  Same with the UK and France.  A lot of people don't appear to know this, which surprises me.

I know.  My glib remark was meant more as a riposte on the fact we have different political structures (aimed at Zoupa's criticism), that don't translate equally.  Certainly those structures can be criticized as to which is superior, or works better, but that gets more into the realm of political/opinion and philosophy, and away from the factual.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2021, 08:18:37 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2021, 06:52:30 AM

I know.  My glib remark was meant more as a riposte on the fact we have different political structures (aimed at Zoupa's criticism), that don't translate equally.  Certainly those structures can be criticized as to which is superior, or works better, but that gets more into the realm of political/opinion and philosophy, and away from the factual.

More importantly, once you start talking about how political systems work, you immediately go into how to make them work in order to win elections (at least nominally democratic ones).

...which then we end up right back with exasperated centrists asking the left to think a bit about actually winning elections instead of arguments when prominent left wing politicians (and yes, she is prominent enough that people notice what she says) start spouting off stupid shit like abolishing the police. Hell, even SHE knows it was a dumb thing to say, since she walked it back the next day.

0 rows returned

Tonitrus

I am not trying to step into the Tlaib/Centrist quagmire that ya'll have set up here.  :P

I am more tired of the "ZOMG THA POTUS DIDNT EVEN WIN THE POPULAR VOTE!!11" arguments, and the subsequent smugness about the superiorness of their political systems, when those same systems have what could easily be argued is even more removed from directly electing their executive than the one we have.

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2021, 08:31:40 AM
I am not trying to step into the Tlaib/Centrist quagmire that ya'll have set up here.  :P

I am more tired of the "ZOMG THA POTUS DIDNT EVEN WIN THE POPULAR VOTE!!11" arguments, and the subsequent smugness about the superiorness of their political systems, when those same systems have what could easily be argued is even more removed from directly electing their executive than the one we have.

Fair enough. Although our system really is fucked up.

But that quagmire is, as Zoupa notes, exhausting.

But its the one we have, so we have to figure out how to work inside it, especially if we want to contemplate trying to change it.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Yeah but there is a pretty big difference: another party did not get more votes than Trudeau's did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2021, 08:58:11 AM

Yeah but there is a pretty big difference: another party did not get more votes than Trudeau's did.

:lol:

You better check again. :contract:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Canadian_federal_election
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

If we follow that logic, though, it's worth noting that Hillary Clinton did not win a majority of the popular vote either.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2021, 09:45:02 AM

Crazy, how inefficient the CP vote is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 03, 2021, 10:00:14 AM

If we follow that logic, though, it's worth noting that Hillary Clinton did not win a majority of the popular vote either.

It is worth noting. I would vastly prefer ranked choice voting or a runoff instead of FPTP.

Having one singular powerful office with vast arbitrary power, like the POTUS, without even a minority plurality support, is dangerous to the long term health of our goverment. I don't see why that isn't obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2021, 09:45:02 AM

Sorry I missed that one. I was going off 2015 since I have been kind of distracted by all the nonsense going on in my country since then.