Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 04:53:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2021, 04:15:55 PM
Going to put this here as we don't have a more generic US election thread:

:contract:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,15715.0.html

QuoteTopic: US Elections 2020 

:contract:

Y'all should follow Canada's lead and have a US politics Redux thread.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

The American Overlord Government is too big and important, thus we need to have a new thread every election cycle.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 04:58:08 PM
We're too big and important, thus we need to have a new thread every election cycle.  :sleep:

The real reason is there no American Josephus who keeps us in one thread through sheer force of his personal will.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2021, 04:21:12 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
Hey Jake, do you think garbon's assessment of me being a dick because I didn't agree with his evaluation of my contemplating working in China in regards to genocide was a fair conclusion? Do you feel like his basic response to my own reasons why I didn't agree with him (the accusation that I was just rationalizing my support for genocide) was fair and reasonable?

I don't think you support genocide. I do think you find it easy to not care about issues that don't personally affect you.

I think you have to believe that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a "dick" or "doesn't care about genocide". Even when they tell you why they don't agree with you with actual reasons, and you just ignore those reasons and say "Yeah, you just don't care". Not like YOU of course, who TOTALLY care so much you are doing...what exactly, about it? Other then lecturing us about how little we care?

You know, it's possible that you are just not always right. That other people have different opinions about things, and they are not just that they don't care, or are closet racists, or any other derogatory thing you can imagine - they might just not agree with you for perfectly good reasons arrived at in good faith.

You don't have a monopoly an social intelligence.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 03:30:29 PM
You think not enjoying being called a racist makes me think skinned? I suspect that you would not be nearly so "tough" if the tables were turned.

Suggesting "woke" is used to mean "Black" is not the cleanest rhetorical move, but by Languish standards it's pretty trivial IMO. Beyond that - and I don't think that amounts to calling you a racist (and it came way after you said he called you a racist) - I still haven't seen where garbon called you racist.

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
Hey Jake, do you think garbon's assessment of me being a dick because I didn't agree with his evaluation of my contemplating working in China in regards to genocide was a fair conclusion? Do you feel like his basic response to my own reasons why I didn't agree with him (the accusation that I was just rationalizing my support for genocide) was fair and reasonable?

No I don't. As I think you'll probably see if you read my posts in the relevant thread.

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 03:33:49 PM
Yes, I am the only person on languish who "lectures" anyone. Of course.

I see we are in the full on ad hom part of the discussion.

In no way did I suggest you were the only one. The joke was that no one tells you what to do on languish, not that you lecture people.

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 03:30:29 PM
You think not enjoying being called a racist makes me think skinned? I suspect that you would not be nearly so "tough" if the tables were turned.

I don't think you're being called a racist.

Berkut

I think that is exactly what I am being called, and I cannot think of anything it could possibly mean otherwise.

His claim is that I am using the term "woke" in the context of objecting to the actions of people who are "woke" as a placeholder for "black people". There is no fucking other way to interpret the claim that he thinks my issue is not with people with overly extreme social strategies is actually an issue with "black people". That is exactly what he is saying.

The entire discussion from the start was specifically about Tlaib making a specific comment. He said my issue was with the fact that she was black, rather then what she said. If that is the case, then in fact that means I am a racist.

0 rows returned

Zoupa

Well I don't think you're a racist, but you're definitely not invited to the cookout anytime soon.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 06:21:08 PM
I think that is exactly what I am being called, and I cannot think of anything it could possibly mean otherwise.

I can.

QuoteHis claim is that I am using the term "woke" in the context of objecting to the actions of people who are "woke" as a placeholder for "black people". There is no fucking other way to interpret the claim that he thinks my issue is not with people with overly extreme social strategies is actually an issue with "black people". That is exactly what he is saying.

The entire discussion from the start was specifically about Tlaib making a specific comment. He said my issue was with the fact that she was black, rather then what she said. If that is the case, then in fact that means I am a racist.

That's cool, but when you said...

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2021, 07:40:08 PM
I'm glad you agree with me. Garbon probably thinks you must be a racist.

... that was way before the Tlaib article was posted. It kind of makes it seem like you decided garbon was calling you a racist already.

Berkut

Quote from: garbonIt is interesting how 'woke' has now been slotted in by white people where 'playing the race card' used to sit.

It is hardly the first time we've been down this road before.

0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 07:02:21 PM
Quote from: garbonIt is interesting how 'woke' has now been slotted in by white people where 'playing the race card' used to sit.

Yeah that looks to be a precipitating statement for the trip down that road this time.

I am genuinely hard pressed to see how that sentence is calling you a racist.

DGuller

If someone put words in my mouth that I praised Biden for not succumbing to black people, I would absolutely take it like Berkut would.  Most reasonable people would, I suspect.  And just to clear up on the timeline, Berkut wasn't the first recipient of a casually thrown racism allusion, I was, so that's why the discussion about garbon accusing people of racism was already active. 

I think it may be wise to pause focusing on people's thin skin for a second, and consider it from the POV of the people with the thin skin.  Maybe people in the US just really don't like fielding accusation of racism of varying subtlety as part of a debate?  :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2021, 07:04:17 PM

Yeah that looks to be a precipitating statement for the trip down that road this time.

I am genuinely hard pressed to see how that sentence is calling you a racist.

I am genuinely not even remotely convinced you are hard pressed to understand that at all.

Sure, there is the veneer of barely plausible deniability thrown over it, just like the right will tell you that the new voting restrictions have nothing to do with suppressing minority voting. After all, the laws say nothing about black people at all!

0 rows returned

alfred russel

While I'm loathe to ever take garbon's side, that isn't accusing you of racism. He is just associating your use of a word to another rhetorical device that a lot of POC find infuriating.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2021, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2021, 03:40:59 PM
I have no quarrel with Future-Raz, but that guy hates my guts.  He blames me for everything!

That dudes a cunt.  Don't worry present Raz, we have your back.

He's lazy bastard who eats too much!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2021, 04:15:55 PM
Going to put this here as we don't have a more generic US election thread:

Quote'Disgusting' robocall accuses Texas candidate Wright of causing husband's death
Wright supporters reported receiving the calls the day before the special election in Texas' 6th District.

04/30/2021 02:18 PM EDT

Updated: 04/30/2021 03:38 PM EDT

Texas Republican congressional candidate Susan Wright is seeking help from federal law enforcement the day before her special election, after supporters reported receiving robocalls that accused her of being responsible for the death of her late husband.

Wright's campaign reached out to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice on Friday after discovering robocalls baselessly alleging that she had "murdered" her husband, the late GOP Rep. Ron Wright. Wright is running in the special election to succeed Wright, who passed away in February after being diagnosed with coronavirus.

Wright aides say they found out about the robocalls on Friday morning, a day before Saturday's crowded all-party primary.

"This is illegal, immoral, and wrong. There's not a sewer too deep that some politicians won't plumb," Wright said in a statement.

A female voice begins the minute-long robocall by saying that Wright "murdered her husband," and that "she's now running for Congress to cover it up." The robocalls do not have a "paid-for" attribution saying who is paying for the attacks.

The robocall then claims that "according to confidential sources," Wright "obtained a $1 million life insurance policy on the life of her husband...six months before his death." It then says that Wright "tearfully confided in a nurse that she had purposely contracted the coronavirus."

It adds that the hospital "has made a formal criminal referral to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and they have now opened a formal criminal inquiry into the matter," before concluding: "It is clear that the voters of Texas' 6th Congressional District deserve to know the truth about Susan Wright and her involvement in the death of her husband."

Recipients of the calls say they are being made from a blocked number. In addition to reaching out to the FBI and the Department of Justice, the Wright campaign has been in touch with the Tarrant County Sheriff's Department.

"When we heard reports of this criminal smear of a voicemail attacking Susan, we immediately referred the matter to law enforcement and started cooperating with authorities," Matt Langston, a Wright campaign consultant, said in a statement. "Susan's opponents are desperate and resorting to disgusting gutter politics because they know she's the frontrunner.

Wright has received the endorsement of former President Donald Trump, who appeared with her on a conference call earlier this week held by the anti-tax Club for Growth, which is also supporting her. She is running in a Republican field that includes businessman Michael Wood, former Trump administration official Brian Harrison, and retired pro wrestler Dan Rodimer.

The race has been a relatively tame affair until now. The candidates have taken few direct shots at one another in their television ads, though the Club for Growth has been attacking GOP candidate Jake Ellzey, casting him as an anti-Trump Republican because he received a donation from Trump critic Bill Kristol.

Ellzey said he was shocked to hear about the robocall while on the campaign trail with former Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

"This is horrible," Ellzey said. "It's unbelievable that anybody would stoop so low."

Former Trump official Brian Harrison, another leading GOP candidate, also condemned the call.

"Voters are sick of candidates resorting to disgraceful negative attacks," he said in a statement. "And I'm proud our campaign has focused on my conservative achievements and ability to defeat Biden's radical agenda."

Wright has been running as someone who could continue the legacy of her husband. The two have been active in local GOP politics in the community for decades, and Trump touted their strong relationship in the tele-town hall held with Wright and the Club for Growth on Thursday night.

"It's a great honor to be with Susan," Trump said. "It's a great honor to help a friend of mine who thought so much, not only in terms of he loves Susan, but he respected Susan. He respected everything she said and that's Ron Wright, who served us so well for a long period of time."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/30/texas-election-robocol-susan-wright-husband-485113

That may be the worst slander I've ever seen in American politics.  I would much rather have a crazy Trump supporter than a Democrat who sank this low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017