What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 12:26:43 PM
I did not use the term, as I stated time and again. You are not even the least bit hurt, and are happy to repeat over and over and over again that I must be a racist if I don't agree with you.

Could you point out where garbon called you a racist? I must've missed those posts over and over and over again.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2021, 12:29:35 PM
When it comes time to vote you can lecture me about it being a "binary choice".

But not when it comes to a general discussion about what public policy choices I want to see implemented.

History suggests that Berkut can lecture you whenever he feels like it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2021, 01:48:11 PM
I did not use the term, as I stated time and again. You are not even the least bit hurt, and are happy to repeat over and over and over again that I must be a racist if I don't agree with you.

Could you point out where garbon called you a racist? I must've missed those post over and over and over again.

Berkut can speak for himself, of course, but from the sidelines, I would guess that he interpreted...

QuoteNot succumbing to black people?

...as implying his comment that that was a response to, as being cloaked racism.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 01:51:20 PM
Berkut can speak for himself, of course, but from the sidelines, I would guess that he interpreted...

...as implying his comment that that was a response to, as being cloaked racism.

And "woke" people are the ones who're supposed to be thin skinned? Jesus fucking christ.

Admiral Yi

Deficit spending is an intergenerational transfer.  We are robbing future generations to pay for goodies in the present.

Tonitrus

Does that mean that if I take out that huge mortgage to buy a house, that I am robbing my future self in order to have a goodie home in the present?  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2021, 01:55:31 PM
Deficit spending is an intergenerational transfer.  We are robbing future generations to pay for goodies in the present.

True, but investment spending will reduce other costs to those future generations, sometimes more than the value of the deficit.

For instance, future generations will have to pay for the costs of imprisoning current pre-K kids who grow up to be crooks.  Running courts and prisons is expensive.  If the current generation can deficit-spend $100 billion to save the future generation $200 billion in court and prison expenses, then the future generation should be delighted with the decision.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 01:58:12 PM
Does that mean that if I take out that huge mortgage to buy a house, that I am robbing my future self in order to have a goodie home in the present?  :P

That's what it means - you could have saved that money and have more cash in the future.  But the costs of renting, not buying, may end up greater than the costs of buying, so the home becomes an investment, not a cost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 01:45:23 PM
Why not just tax the individuals that make up those corporations appropriately (however one thinks is fair), instead of taxing entities that we should not be treating as something akin to "persons"?

Two reasons:

1) Individual income from corporations is generally considered the dividends they pay, not their current earnings. That is, if you have a business that is not a corporation, and it makes $10, you pay personal tax on $10. But if you are a shareholder in GE, and it earns $10 but doesn't pay you a dividend, you have gotten no money and thus have no income. If you don't tax GE at all, then corporations are highly favored because they get effective deferral of their income taxes versus small businesses/non corporations.

2) The political atmosphere isn't really conducive to removing all corporate taxation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Yeah, I kinda realized the flaw in my reasoning...as then the "income" generated and held by the corporation would not be taxed in any form...unless it is paid out in dividends/salaries/bonuses, or whatever. 

Maximus

Quote from: Habbaku on April 30, 2021, 10:55:57 AM
I haven't paid much attention to politics since Biden was sworn in. What has he done that's convinced you guys he's not as bad?

I do like the way he's been speaking, mind, but I don't know how much of that is just listening to a guy who sounds like a normal human.
For me it's the apparent willingness to adapt his positions to current realities. Campaigning on "return to normalcy" did not fill me with hope, but I am much less leery now

alfred russel

I think it would make sense to have really low corporate tax rates (say 10-15%) and then get rid of capital gains rates and reduced rates on dividends. That way you improve your tax competitiveness as a jurisdiction and reduce the ability and incentive of corporations to avoid taxes.

In the fantasyland that we move to such a setting it is helpful that the US has worldwide taxation of individuals. For countries without such a worldwide regime it would be easily exploited by individuals setting up an awesome company, not paying dividends, moving to a low tax jurisdiction, and then paying it all out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 01:58:12 PM

Well, it's analogous in that your future self didn't have a vote on your decision to buy a house.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2021, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2021, 11:57:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 11:18:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2021, 11:03:29 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2021, 10:59:52 AM
He is absolutely NOT succumbing to the demands from the <insert word other then woke to describe exactly what we all know that word describes in this context> crowd to make a bunch of dumbass speeches about defunding the police or abolishing cops or cancelling anyone.

Not succumbing to black people?

Yes, that's right. That is the only possible thing that anything can be about. It's all about you, always.

You misuse a term, when I tell you that's hurtful, you then double down on it. I guess the other option is that you are just a dick?

Frankly, I really could not fucking care less if you pretend to be "hurt" while you accuse me of being a closet GOP racist every fucking time a conversation comes up that I don't align with your views, even when it is a subject that I don't even consider to be ABOUT those views. It's exhausting, and I am done.

Funny how you say I called you a racist when the only mention of that was me saying that I know people using the term on Languish are not racist.

But yeah dick it is. Explains the genocide stance too.

Thanks for making it clear how uninterested in you are in actual discussion. Yes, I am totally an advocate for genocide because I don't agree that your posturing while doing nothing yourself is the end game of how to react to it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2021, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2021, 01:51:20 PM

And "woke" people are the ones who're supposed to be thin skinned? Jesus fucking christ.

You think not enjoying being called a racist makes me think skinned? I suspect that you would not be nearly so "tough" if the tables were turned.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned