News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So Lindsey Graham introduced a bill to federally ban abortion after 15 weeks. Apparently Mike Pence has come out and said that that fight is more important than winning the mid-terms.

One question and one observation:

Observation: I guess it means that either the GOP believes fighting abortion remains a winner for them - either in terms of motivating the base or getting votes.

Question: Is there any point in introducing this bill now - with the Democrats controlling the House and the Senate (even if narrowly) - other than as political signalling?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2022, 08:52:13 PMQuestion: Is there any point in introducing this bill now - with the Democrats controlling the House and the Senate (even if narrowly) - other than as political signalling?

Senility? Delusion?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2022, 08:52:13 PMQuestion: Is there any point in introducing this bill now - with the Democrats controlling the House and the Senate (even if narrowly) - other than as political signalling?

No. It is political signaling. They tend to do this every time the Democrats control the government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2022, 09:18:39 PMNo. It is political signaling. They tend to do this every time the Democrats control the government.

Then that seems to indicate the the GOP - or Lindsey Graham and Pence at least - think that pushing national abortion restrictions is a winner?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2022, 10:15:34 PMThen that seems to indicate the the GOP - or Lindsey Graham and Pence at least - think that pushing national abortion restrictions is a winner?

He doesn't come up for election until 2017, so that suggests state electoral politics is not the motivation.

Possibly he wants to break the news cycle about getting subpoenaed in Georgia.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2022, 08:52:13 PMSo Lindsey Graham introduced a bill to federally ban abortion after 15 weeks. Apparently Mike Pence has come out and said that that fight is more important than winning the mid-terms.

Tbh, 15 weeks sounds quite reasonable.

In Germany/Austria the limit is 3 months after being of pregnancy, and I don't recall debates for extending it.

But I assume the intention is that states can still set the limit at less than 15 weeks or ban it outright?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

15 weeks is a weird number politically, even if it makes sense on some policy level.

The anti-abortion crowd will not like it because they want to ban abortion entirely and the pro-choice crowd will not like it because they don't want any limitation to abortion short of viability. So it seems like a political position designed to make everybody who cares about this issue mad.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2022, 11:21:21 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2022, 10:15:34 PMThen that seems to indicate the the GOP - or Lindsey Graham and Pence at least - think that pushing national abortion restrictions is a winner?

He doesn't come up for election until 2017,.

Now that's a safe seat.

QuotePossibly he wants to break the news cycle about getting subpoenaed in Georgia.

Lindsey went down to Georgia,  looking for an election to steal
He was in a bind cause Trump was way behind
And he was willing to make a deal
. . .
Lindsey bowed his head because he knew that they'd been beat
And he laid the Presidency on the ground at Joe B's feet
Joe B said, "Lindsey, just come on back if you ever wanna try again
I done told you Trump's a son of a bitch, he's the worst that's ever been"

(fiddle playing omitted)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2022, 09:44:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNBnKRW0TY

Governors of Texas and Arizona busing thousands of illegal immigrants to NYC and DC.

Now they're sending them from Florida to Martha's Vineyard and Kamala's home.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

A good use of our tax dollars. The Biden administration deports shitloads of illegal immigrants so I don't really understand even the statement here. It is not like they are failing to deport at an impressive clip.

The Minsky Moment

Tri-state area is suffering from labor shortages; i say take them and have the last laugh.

The societies that succeed in the 21st century will be the ones that are able to attract increasingly scarce labor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2022, 11:36:10 AMTri-state area is suffering from labor shortages; i say take them and have the last laugh.

The societies that succeed in the 21st century will be the ones that are able to attract increasingly scarce labor.

Well this time they are not delivering them to federal property this time so maybe the state can step in and get that sweet scarce labor.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2022, 11:36:10 AMTri-state area is suffering from labor shortages; i say take them and have the last laugh.

immigration does not solve long term labor shortages.  Slavery does, because slaves don't consume much. Immagration add the population of consumers over long term.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 15, 2022, 11:36:10 AMThe societies that succeed in the 21st century will be the ones that are able to attract increasingly scarce labor.

Similar to the 17th and 18th centuries. We did well then: should we revisit those tactics?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 15, 2022, 08:31:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2022, 09:44:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNBnKRW0TY

Governors of Texas and Arizona busing thousands of illegal immigrants to NYC and DC.

Now they're sending them from Florida to Martha's Vineyard and Kamala's home.

So there's kind of a point here.  Texas receives thousands of illegal immigrants per day.  Cities like NYC and DC proudly announce themselves as "Sanctuary Cities" that welcome illegal immigrants (although they use the term "undocumented").  Seems like a perfect match then - send these people from a state that is struggling to cope with the numbers of people to cities and states that proclaim to welcome them with open arms.

Where it falls down though is from what I can tell these migrants are being lied to to get on those buses - they're being told all kinds of services will be available once they arrive, when in fact they're just getting pushed out the bus door and dumped on the sidewalk.  That takes away any moral high ground Governor Abbott would have otherwise had.

But still the point is: it's easy to proclaim yourself open to undocumented migrants when you don't actually receive very many.  I've made this same complaint about Canada several times.  It says a lot that NYC and DC and loudly complaining about receiving a few bussfulls of migrants when Texas receives almost that many on a daily basis.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.