News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I see Mayor Pete launching "Momentum" an initiative to help countries around the world learn from the DoT's best practices and expertise in "planning and modernizing transportation infrastructure".

I have to be honest the impression I have of US infrastructure is that, much like the UK, it's not where I'd go for best practice at modernisation :huh: :lol: It may just be the famous ones but, like the UK, my impression is that it's generally always wildly expensive and often very late in being delivered - but maybe I'm wrong? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

That cartoon will annoy many and convince no one. Anyone who finds Handmaid's Tale plausible is already a Democrat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

It's more than plausible in Afghanistan

As for America, lots of things that would have seemed implausible in 2014 have come to pass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I'm agnostic about Handmaid's Tale as an imagining of a dystopia in which the vast majority of women are rendered infertile.  It would shock society and I can imagine efforts to reorganize the limited resource for optimal reproduction.

I'm less enamored of Handmaid's Tale as a critique of current society or current trends.

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 01, 2022, 10:00:28 PMThat cartoon will annoy many and convince no one. Anyone who finds Handmaid's Tale plausible is already a Democrat.
It's hyperbole.
Nobody thinks things literally will end up the same as HT.
But moving in that sort of direction? Well yes. It's happening.

Who would be annoyed at it on what grounds BTW?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 02, 2022, 03:05:48 AMBut moving in that sort of direction? Well yes. It's happening.

Who would be annoyed at it on what grounds BTW?

Because that's treating it as a smooth, continuous variable.  It's not.  It's discrete acts.

DGuller

I had no idea it referred to Handmaid's Tale, I didn't even know what it was until I googled it just know.  Apparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.  I just assumed that the cartoon described some horrible vision of the future, and that we got there because too many voters vote for the dumbest of reasons.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2022, 11:23:42 AMI had no idea it referred to Handmaid's Tale, I didn't even know what it was until I googled it just know.  Apparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.

You're kidding, right?

The Larch

On the topic of US agencies, maybe they could nerf DHS instead of EPA?

Apparently that's a real letter that a woman in Dallas received recently.  :wacko:

DGuller

I think calls for violence were never covered by First Amendment.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.  It seems like there should be some agency out there in charge of monitoring that.

grumbler

I don't think that it is possible for government agencies to distinguish between genuine incitements to violence and "I was just venting" incitements to violence.  Warning inciters without attempting to mind-read them for seriousness seems warranted.

Dallas woman should STFU with that shit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2022, 11:23:42 AMI had no idea it referred to Handmaid's Tale, I didn't even know what it was until I googled it just know.  Apparently it's a novel by some obscure Canadian author.  I just assumed that the cartoon described some horrible vision of the future, and that we got there because too many voters vote for the dumbest of reasons.

Do you even read this forum?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?