News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 18, 2021, 05:05:15 PM
My statement referred to the advice he gave, not the act of giving it.

Well, he wasn't charged with giving bad advice, so your opaque comment turns out to be a non sequitur.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

What crawled up people's asses and died?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that Manchin has killed the coal switchover penalty/subsidy portion of Biden's bill.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

How or why should we still support the filibuster?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2021, 03:00:11 AM
How or why should we still support the filibuster?

isn't it meaningless when you can't have a majority to vote for your bill?

I mean, even without filibuster, if Manchin wants to protect the coal industry of his part of Virginia, to the detriment of the enitre country, or insist on less spending so as not to upset his centrist-Republican constituants, with or without filibuster, he can still do it, no?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/business/economy/biden-inflation.html

Quote[...]

Mr. Bernstein and other advisers say many of the causes of inflation are already improving. They point to calculations by Mark Zandi, a Moody's Analytics economist, that suggest Americans who have left the labor force will begin flocking back into the job market by December or January, because they will likely have exhausted their savings by then.

[...]

Considering the types of jobs that seem to go understaffed, I somehow doubt that this demographic has much in terms of savings.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Workers in this country have made an incredible discovery:  If they all stop working at the same time they have more leverage when asking for pay raises and working conditions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2021, 01:18:52 PM
Workers in this country have made an incredible discovery:  If they all stop working at the same time they have more leverage when asking for pay raises and working conditions.

The obvious answer is not paying decent wages, but child labor:

Syt

Didn't some states loosen restrictions on how much minors can work?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on October 29, 2021, 09:22:25 AM
To the mills with them!

Are there no McDonalds, no Amazon fulfillment centres?  I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course

garbon

Less about this article itself, but more on the meme. Just how immature are our politicians?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/southwest-airlines-pilot-lets-go-brandon-biden

QuoteSouthwest Airlines investigates pilot's use of 'Let's go Brandon' anti-Biden jibe

Southwest Airlines announced an internal investigation after a pilot was reported to have signed off a message to passengers by saying: "Let's go Brandon."

The apparent non-sequitur is in fact a rightwing meme, based on a NBC sportscaster's apparent mishearing of a chant of "Fuck Joe Biden" by a crowd at a Nascar circuit in Alabama at the start of October.

On a Southwest flight from Houston, Texas to Albuquerque, New Mexico on Friday morning, an Associated Press reporter heard the pilot end a message over the public address system with the phrase, prompting gasps from some passengers.

The reporter, Colleen Long, said she tried to ask the pilot about his comment but was "almost removed from [the] plane".

As discussion of the incident proliferated online, Southwest said in a statement it "takes pride in providing a welcoming, comfortable, safe and respectful environment for the millions of customers who fly with us each year.

"Southwest does not condone employees sharing their personal political opinions while on the job, serving our customers. And one employee's individual perspective should not be interpreted as the viewpoint of Southwest and its collective 54,000 employees.

"Southwest is conducting an internal investigation into the recently reported event."

Predictably popular among supporters of Donald Trump, the man Joe Biden soundly beat for the White House last year, "Let's go Brandon" swiftly reached the halls of Congress.

Among uses by House Republicans, the Florida representative Bill Posey ended a floor speech with a fist pump and the phrase while Jeff Duncan, from South Carolina, wore a "Let's Go Brandon" mask at the Capitol.

In the Senate, Ted Cruz of Texas posed with a sign at a World Series game while the press secretary for Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Senate minority leader, retweeted a photo of the phrase on a construction sign in Virginia.

Trump's fundraising committee now sells a $45 T-shirt featuring "Let's go Brandon" above an American flag. One message to supporters read: "#FJB or LET'S GO BRANDON? Either way, President Trump wants YOU to have our ICONIC new shirt."

Southwest said it would "address the situation directly with any employee involved while continuing to remind all employees that public expression of personal opinions while on duty is unacceptable.

"Southwest does not tolerate any behavior that encourages divisiveness as it does not reflect the Southwest hospitality and inclusiveness for which we are known and strive to provide each day on every flight."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

That explains why my brother in law posted the slogan on Facebook; didn't make much sense to me.
—Stephen Jay Gould