News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 07, 2020, 09:47:46 PM
You conceded but California takes weeks to count the votes every elections.

Votes can arrive until November 20th there.

That's not particularly relevant unless enough ballots arrive to flip the result.  My impression is absentee ballots in normal elections are rounding error.

grumbler

I'm going to amend my last:   The Presidential Transition Act of 1963 actually changes the meaning of the term "President-elect" by saying that 
Quote"The terms "President-elect" and "Vice-President-elect" as used in this Act shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful candidates for the office of the President and Vice President, respectively, as ascertained by the Administrator following the general elections held to determine the electors of the President and Vice-President in accordance with title 3, United States code, sections 1 and 2.

The GSA Administrator has not yet made such a determination (AFAICT), but it is clear that he can do so before the Electors meet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on November 07, 2020, 08:07:18 PM
Congratulations America on finally ending this national nightmare. 

Though one wonders what took you so long to decide that you don't want someone who is obviously incompetent, corrupt, morally reprehensible, and a habitual liar to be president  :P

Better Trump than Xi or Putin or any successful autocrat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Bad comparison, since unlike those two, Trump was chosen in free elections and still managed to garner significant support the second time around, despite his gross incompetence and lack of character.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I was comparing him to the leader of the person making the comment. :mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

People like McConnell or Graham still talking about voting fraud allegations will damage the legitimacy of the American republic for decades.

The Minsky Moment

Lindsay Graham released an affidavit tonight from an Erie country postal worker alleging ballots arriving at the post office Nov 4 were re-postmarked Nov 3. Even if true it would not significantly impact the result as these ballots are already being challenged as part of the general challenge to postmarked ballots arriving at the clerk's office after Election Day (and those aren't anywhere close to enough to reverse the result).

The affidavit is also somewhat less than compelling. It basically says he overheard a conversation between 2 other people. He did not witness any postmark manipulation himself.  He also mentions contacting Project Veritas (infamous for doctoring videos as part of fake exposes), and ends with a reference to "old allegations against me that have since been resolved"

If this is their best shot Biden can sleep easy tonight.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

It won't move the needle significantly, but it keeps feeding the GOP myth of widespread voter fraud and election irregularities which they will use as excuses to again try and make it harder for people how they don't want to vote to cast a ballot.

My sister is still posting "stories" and "proof" how the election was stolen and that justice will still prevail. I expect there's a few million Americans who hold similar beliefs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quotehttp://kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins
·
5h
Some news — Jared Kushner has approached President Trump about conceding the election, per two sources.

Solmyr

Razgovory

This election was rough on me.  I was so nervous that I had a psychotic episode.  After pulling a bunch of nails out of the wall and getting some sleep I think I'm okay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2020, 02:41:09 AM
It won't move the needle significantly, but it keeps feeding the GOP myth of widespread voter fraud and election irregularities which they will use as excuses to again try and make it harder for people how they don't want to vote to cast a ballot.

My sister is still posting "stories" and "proof" how the election was stolen and that justice will still prevail. I expect there's a few million Americans who hold similar beliefs.
I guess she doesn't know what election fraud is?

The Democrats won in SPITE of widespread election fraud.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

So apparently that Four Seasons mixup was actually an attempt to save face for Donald, because the hotel did not want him. https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1325169127355396101?s=19

celedhring

Quote from: Solmyr on November 08, 2020, 07:24:25 AM
So apparently that Four Seasons mixup was actually an attempt to save face for Donald, because the hotel did not want him. https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1325169127355396101?s=19

Doesn't add up, first time he tweeted about the presser he already referred to the landscaping company, not the hotel.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
21h
Big press conference today in Philadelphia at Four Seasons Total Landscaping — 11:30am!

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2020, 07:33:53 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 08, 2020, 07:24:25 AM

Doesn't add up, first time he tweeted about the presser he already referred to the landscaping company, not the hotel.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
21h
Big press conference today in Philadelphia at Four Seasons Total Landscaping — 11:30am!

According to https://projects.propublica.org/politwoops/user/realDonaldTrump he deleted a few tweets that day. ;)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk