And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2020, 07:25:46 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 07, 2020, 07:12:42 PM
The votes still being counted can't change the outcome of electoral college into Trumps favor though Yi.
And I will publicly apologize if you can show me where in the last 8 elections we've been calling them "presumptive"president elect.

And grumbler. How about that Michigan football team??

I'm seeing:

AZ Biden up 21,188 with 130,467 to count
GA Biden up 7,547 with unknown to count
NV Biden up 25,699 with 113,398 to count
NC Trump up
PA Biden up 37,298 with 78,792

Your apology is up to your conscience.  As is my opinion whether you're being a douche.

edit: I mean my opinion of you is up to my conscience, not yours. :nerd:
where are you getting your numbers from? I've been going off nbc and they aren't matching up to those and tried searching AP, CBS and CNN and didn't see those amounts either.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 07:34:22 PM
Of course there were - there were articles about the networks possibly calling the election before the polls had even closed in some states:
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/us/politics/04network.html

Here's a list of recent elections and when AP calls it:
2012: 11:38 pm, Tuesday
2008: 11 pm, Tuesday
2004: 11:19 am, Wednesday
2000: No call
1996: 9 pm, Tuesday

I don't think they then waited until it is mathematically impossible in all states to refer to the winner as President-elect. You're right that legally the call means nothing, but it is customary to start referring to the President-elect once they call a winner and customs/conventions matter. I don't think they should put that on hold because the current President is making spurious and baseless allegations of fraud. I think it's important to re-inforce the norms at this point.

Edit: I mean at the minute I think it's mathematically possible for Trump to flip California - do we wait until it's impossible for that to happen?

You're conflating two different things: networks calling elections and calling a candidate president elect.

Sheilbh

Incidentally, a Fox story:
QuoteWhile the president insists on Twitter that ballots have not been properly considered and argues that President-elect Joe Biden's victory is premature, Fox News has learned that under some conditions Trump would consider an appropriate transfer of power.
:lol: :blink:

Never a loser.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on November 07, 2020, 07:35:37 PM

where are you getting your numbers from? I've been going off nbc and they aren't matching up to those and tried searching AP, CBS and CNN and didn't see those amounts either.

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html#

Biscuit's scraper.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2020, 07:38:46 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 07, 2020, 07:35:37 PM

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html#

Biscuit's scraper.
Thanks, and that site shows Trump isn't meeting the % needed to take back the lead in Nevada, Arizona or Pennsylvania...

katmai

And I already know you love me Mutton so :blurgh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on November 07, 2020, 07:42:32 PM
Thanks, and that site shows Trump isn't meeting the % needed to take back the lead in Nevada, Arizona or Pennsylvania...

"The votes still being counted can't change the outcome of electoral college into Trumps favor though Yi. "

One of these things, is not like the other one,
Both of these things is not are not the same,
One of these things is not like the other one
And the Big Mexican is arguing in the alternative and better cut his losses.

Of course I love you you big galoot.  And you love me too which is why you have to take me seriously when I say you're being a douche.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2020, 07:37:14 PM
You're conflating two different things: networks calling elections and calling a candidate president elect.
I'm not confusing them. If we look at that clip from 2008 and I assume it's chronological that reporter's talking about "now President-elect Obama" before Obama's victory speech. Assuming that network called the election at 11pm, Obama's speech was (from what I can tell) at 12.15.

So either, somehow, it became mathematically impossible for McCain to win at some point in that hour (ie there were no longer enough uncounted votes to swing the election) or the reporter used "President-elect" after the call was made rather than waiting for that. I think it's the latter and that's been the norm in every previous election because normally once it gets called candidates concede (even though McCain could still wait for California and Hawaii to finish counting). I think it's better that the networks treat this like any other election so "President-elect" is appropriate because it is their assessment of objective reality, rather than make it conditional on a candidate conceding or as if it is unsure for several days while states finish their count (even if their results won't change).
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 07:37:24 PM
Incidentally, a Fox story:
QuoteWhile the president insists on Twitter that ballots have not been properly considered and argues that President-elect Joe Biden's victory is premature, Fox News has learned that under some conditions Trump would consider an appropriate transfer of power.
:lol: :blink:

Never a loser.
Did he specify to whom he would consider transferring power?

Monoriu

Congratulations America on finally ending this national nightmare. 

Though one wonders what took you so long to decide that you don't want someone who is obviously incompetent, corrupt, morally reprehensible, and a habitual liar to be president  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 07:50:13 PM
I'm not confusing them. If we look at that clip from 2008 and I assume it's chronological that reporter's talking about "now President-elect Obama" before Obama's victory speech. Assuming that network called the election at 11pm, Obama's speech was (from what I can tell) at 12.15.

So either, somehow, it became mathematically impossible for McCain to win at some point in that hour (ie there were no longer enough uncounted votes to swing the election) or the reporter used "President-elect" after the call was made rather than waiting for that. I think it's the latter and that's been the norm in every previous election because normally once it gets called candidates concede (even though McCain could still wait for California and Hawaii to finish counting). I think it's better that the networks treat this like any other election so "President-elect" is appropriate because it is their assessment of objective reality, rather than make it conditional on a candidate conceding or as if it is unsure for several days while states finish their count (even if their results won't change).

Now all we need is info on whether uncounted ballots in whatever election had the potential to flip the called result and I would be shown to be wrong.

Or maybe not wrong, but at the very least out of sync with normal practice.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2020, 08:07:29 PM
Now all we need is info on whether uncounted ballots in whatever election had the potential to flip the called result and I would be shown to be wrong.

Or maybe not wrong, but at the very least out of sync with normal practice.
Of course there were. I mean if you normally have so many votes counted between 11-12 election night that it's mathematically impossible for one or other candidate to be called it makes me wonder why the times elections are called are so variable. Or to put it another way can you think of any other election where it's been noted on the news when it's impossible for another x candidate to win?

The abnormality isn't that the networks are referring to a "President-elect" while it is still theoretically possible for the the result to be flipped, it's that one of the candidates isn't conceding even after its been called. I think that should be given short shrift.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 08:16:20 PM
Of course there were. I mean if you normally have so many votes counted between 11-12 election night that it's mathematically impossible for one or other candidate to be called it makes me wonder why the times elections are called are so variable. Or to put it another way can you think of any other election where it's been noted on the news when it's impossible for another x candidate to win?

The abnormality isn't that the networks are referring to a "President-elect" while it is still theoretically possible for the the result to be flipped, it's that one of the candidates isn't conceding even after its been called. I think that should be given short shrift.

I'm well aware there have been times when networks have called states with incomplete results.  I'm also aware of times calls have been wrong. 

I'm much less aware of a time when the entire election was called with this many uncounted ballots left.

I don't understand what your second and third sentence mean.  Please rephrase them if you want me to respond.

In things that matter, Biden is down to 18713 in AZ.

Tamas

Guys, Yi is just sour the other tribe won the contest, give him a break.