News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on November 05, 2020, 05:17:17 PM
I'm more upset that it's even this close. We're talking about a toddler versus an old man. This really shouldn't be that hard.

Both were shitty candidates.  I'm happy to have voted third party again this time. 

I don't think a close race is what should bug you.  What should bug you is how Trump increased his support among LGBT and minority voters.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2020, 06:18:39 PM
What should bug you is how Trump increased his support among LGBT and minority voters.

But lost support among woman voters. It seems like we came out ahead given how we got more votes than last time.

I suspect both of those trends to reverse slightly sans Trump but we will see how it goes. He appeals and repels people in a very specific way that is not easily transferable to Ted Cruz and company.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

What should bug you is how Trump increased his support among LGBT and minority voters.

Why should that bug you?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

I'm more upset that it's even this close. We're talking about a toddler versus an old man. This really shouldn't be that hard.

Both were shitty candidates.  I'm happy to have voted third party again this time. 

I don't think a close race is what should bug you.  What should bug you is how Trump increased his support among LGBT and minority voters.
still trying to play this game eh?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2020, 06:41:23 PM
Did I say it bugged me?

We all saw how Marty was getting super excited about Trump. His LGBT support in Poland was already significant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

Considering how OH went, I'm okay with you voting for Jo. :cheers:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

I've seen a lot of posts by gay men who are Trump supporters. I don't know if it is a local thing/the mutuals we share or what, but it definitely seems like a "I got mine and fuck everyone else" type of attitude in place. Also, most are slightly above average in terms of wealth for the area. People valuing a few dollars more then their own health, safety, and rights or the desire to unleash the hurt and pain they went through on others has always rubbed me the wrong way and left me baffled. Especially when the groups they are now cutting off are the very, very thing shield preventing them from being the primary target once again instead of just a secondary one for a moment. It isn't like Republicans have accepted gay and lesbian people, they've just downgraded them as targets and are still a prime target for people as close to power as the vice presidency. Just... baffling. It's like Irish and Italian Americans becoming the most Conservative and hateful groups and enforcers for the current status quo as soon as they vaguely were accepted by the ruling elite. It's like if they don't yell louder and fight harder for the old masters they'll be sent back with the "lesser" groups. They've been let inside the fence, but they'll never get into the manor house from the yard yet they'll be damned if anyone else gets over the fence or let in.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

katmai

Georgia now at Trump lead of 3,635

Atlanta metro is area left to still bring in votes apparently.

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2020, 07:02:25 PM

He only needs 57% of the remaining votes to pull ahead. Pretty nuts.

Josquius

Georgia looks close. Think it'll be the one to push Biden over the line.

QuoteI've seen a lot of posts by gay men who are Trump supporters. I don't know if it is a local thing/the mutuals we share or what, but it definitely seems like a "I got mine and fuck everyone else" type of attitude in place. Also, most are slightly above average in terms of wealth for the area. People valuing a few dollars more then their own health, safety, and rights or the desire to unleash the hurt and pain they went through on others has always rubbed me the wrong way and left me baffled....

Yeah, gay nazis seem disturbingly common these days.
In a way I guess it's a good thing. Shows how accepted being gay has become that they feel comfortable enough siding with the anti minority crowd.
But... Yup. The culture warriors have their gaze solidly on rolling a lot of things back. I don't think they'll ever reach a point where gays are in danger, trans people are their top priority. Still.... Really annoying some people can be such arse holes with the whole I got mine thing.
Back at the brexit vote time there were a significant number of Eastern Europeans voted brexit, figuring they're already in so it's time to pull up the draw bridge.

In a way this explains a lot of the working class losses to the far right. A lot of working people aren't actually left wing in any way... They're merely working class tribalists. They happen to be in the needy group so support help for the needy usually. Convince them they're merely temporarily embarrassed millionaires though...
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Yeah. The recycling of the old anti gay/lesbian talking points to now be about trans people is disturbing but entirely expected. Seeing so many gay and lesbian people now using the rhetoric used against them to attack and marginalize the next group down is pretty disheartening though. I hope the UK's special brand of TERF attitudes doesn't spread but is contained and, hopefully, eliminated soon. I'm not too hopeful about that though considering a lot of the LGB Alliance and TERF group funding seems to come from rightwing groups in the US.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2020, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2020, 07:02:25 PM

He only needs 57% of the remaining votes to pull ahead. Pretty nuts.

Yeah, sorry, I had a tough time creating new ballots on short request last night.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Were are you guys seeing how many votes need to be counted by each state?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017