News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Why would you take out 15% of the country out of your calculations?  :wacko:

Grinning_Colossus

Following my mostly-correct electoral college prediction in the prediction thread, I confidently make the following prediction about the SCOTUS:
Thomas steps down next week and is replaced by a 45 year old Trump nominee. Breyer dies in 2021 and McConnell refuses to hold nomination hearings. The next Republican packs the Court anyway.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 05, 2020, 02:49:26 AM
Following my mostly-correct electoral college prediction in the prediction thread, I confidently make the following prediction about the SCOTUS:
Thomas steps down next week and is replaced by a 45 year old Trump nominee. Breyer dies in 2021 and McConnell refuses to hold nomination hearings. The next Republican packs the Court anyway.

Why not every single Republican Judge in the entire judiciary step down and get replaced by 20 year olds or pack the court now? Just have 2,000 20 year old Supreme Court justices. Trump will make it happen tomorrow.

Anyway you predicted a Republican victory. I don't see how you have been proven correct or even mostly correct :P Though I hope you are right about the Pennsylvania thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

The fact most analysts seem pretty confident about Biden turning PA is the only thing that keeps me from flipping out given the thin margins elsewhere.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 05, 2020, 02:55:42 AM
The fact most analysts seem pretty confident about Biden turning PA is the only thing that keeps me from flipping out given the thin margins elsewhere.

Relax. Nothing is happening very fast anyway. Plenty of time to flip out later.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I've kinda accepted now that US internal politics will be a highly polarized mess for some time to come. I'm not sure what would be required to overcome that, but I'd expect it will either be a long, gradual process, or a very sudden, ugly one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

It wouldn't be enough to turn me fully Republican. But every four years I watch American news channels - and I kind of hate the media after just a few minutes :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2020, 03:04:45 AM

I've kinda accepted now that US internal politics will be a highly polarized mess for some time to come. I'm not sure what would be required to overcome that, but I'd expect it will either be a long, gradual process, or a very sudden, ugly one.

I say we all unite against the common enemy.

Um...hrm....China I guess.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 05, 2020, 03:05:49 AM
It wouldn't be enough to turn me fully Republican. But every four years I watch American news channels - and I kind of hate the media after just a few minutes :ph34r:

The news channels are garbage and have always been. I hate all of them. They are so insufferable.

Not sure what that has to do with being a Republican. They have their own equally shitty ones.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 05, 2020, 02:37:25 AM

For dishonest reasons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2020, 03:08:12 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 05, 2020, 02:37:25 AM

For dishonest reasons.

Are you talking about me and California? I phrased myself badly, as usual. I was sitting around and thinking that the entire popular vote difference can be explained by California. Horribly enough it actually seems quite even in the rest of the US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2020, 03:07:36 AM
The news channels are garbage and have always been. I hate all of them. They are so insufferable.

Not sure what that has to do with being a Republican. They have their own equally shitty ones.
Yeah but Fox has better production. And (for a foreigner) far better/funnier adverts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty much done worrying.  Arizona is either in the bag or almost there.  Then Nevada makes 270.  Either or both of Georgia and Pennsylvania would be gravy and get us closer to the blow out category.

I'm bummed Trump and Joni Ernst won in Iowa and I'm bummed we didn't flip the Senate, but I'm as sure as Joe Biden sounds that we'll win the White House.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2020, 03:30:21 AM

I'm pretty much done worrying.  Arizona is either in the bag or almost there. 

I can still worry when they put this on NYT: Jennifer Medina, in Phoenix 30m ago
In the latest results, Trump hit the percentage he needed to stay on track to potentially win Arizona, but it may not hold. The next Maricopa release is not expected until Thursday night.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk