News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

The Don has been staying at 40% of the country, as long as we have an electoral college there will be tight races.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 12:06:31 AM
The major repudiation of Trump was the dream and the dream died.

I mean, Biden may still probably win this but Trumpian itself will still have legs to stand on.
I think that was always unlikely - I think you'd need a humiliation of Biden at 400+ which was very difficult to imagine. Trumpism has legs because it's won once and it's doing relatively well tonight: that's a better record than Mitt Romney style Republicanism.

The other key point is it looks bad for the Senate and I think there's a strong argument that the defining political figure of 2010-20 is Mitch McConnell and it looks likely that'll continue (for now).
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2020, 12:03:55 AM
It looks like Trump is ahead in most battleground states.  So it may well rain in downtown Lo's Angeles after all.

What do you mean?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:19:53 AM.

The other key point is it looks bad for the Senate and I think there's a strong argument that the defining political figure of 2010-20 is Mitch McConnell and it looks likely that'll continue (for now).
Again waaaay too early to doom and gloom Senate, relax shelf

Sheilbh

Quote from: katmai on November 04, 2020, 12:29:51 AM

:lol: Fair.

In other Senate news - I am delighted with the name Senator Tommy Tuberville :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:30:56 AM

In other Senate news - I am delighted with the name Senator Tommy Tuberville :lol:

I think he changed his name. He used to be called Tatertown  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:30:56 AM

all told I think Montana, Arizona and Maine could all well end up flipping to Dems

viper37

Before covid, I predicted Trump will win.  So far, it looks a lot like 2016.  I thought covid would have changed things by a lot more than that.  Oh well.

Off to bed, see ya tomorrow, to cheer on President Trump :P

Seriously, if that piece of shit wins, what will be the impact on other countries' politics?  Will Macron's plan for a united Europe defense see the day?  Will the populists of Europe have a field day building on Trump's success to gain an even more larger share of the electorate?  Will the Canadian conservatives realign themselves even more to be the Canadian GOP?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:19:53 AM

Am I evil for wishing him dead before the end of the year? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

As expected:
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:54:02 AM
As expected:
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!
shocked, shocked I say!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on November 04, 2020, 12:46:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:19:53 AM

Am I evil for wishing him dead before the end of the year? :unsure:

Nope.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 12:54:02 AM
As expected:
QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

:lol:

Someone spell checked his Tweet, because he originally had it "Poles" :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

WaPo:

Quote7:02 a.m.

Trump expected to make statement soon about the election
By Colby Itkowitz

Trump announced he will be making a statement overnight about the election, calling it a "big WIN!"

He also tweeted baselessly that the Democrats were "trying to steal," an accusation he's been leveling on Twitter and in speeches for months. Trump and Republicans have tried to limit states counting mail-in ballots after Election Day.

"We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election," Trump wrote. "We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!"

Twitter flagged the president's tweet, warning: "Some or all of the content shared in this Tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process."

The White House has yet to provide any additional guidance on when Trump will speak.

My guess: He will declare victory because he's in the lead and machinations will continue to throw out as many votes as possible to validate his claim.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

NE2 called for Biden, the Arizona route seems to be open for now.