News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eddie Van Halen dies

Started by Josephus, October 06, 2020, 02:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Never a huge fan of the band, but he was a great player, and my high school years were certainly influenced by heavily does of Van Halen.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Always sad to see a great guitarist go away. :(

RIP

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

RIP

Eruption changed things, but I still like Spanish Fly best.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

crazy canuck

The heated arguments we used to have - Van Halen or Hendricks.

If there is an afterlife one can only hope they are jamming together now.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2020, 04:20:26 PM
The heated arguments we used to have - Van Halen or Hendricks.

If there is an afterlife one can only hope they are jamming together now.

They were heated because you beat up anyone who said Van Halen, right? :unsure:

I mean I'm much more likely to listen to some Van Halen than anything of Jimmi Hendricks, but I can recognize the skill when I hear it.

Just to try to bolster that opinion... Here's Rolling Stone's list of the 100 best guitarists of all time.  Eddie Van Halen comes in at a very respectable 8th place, but Hendricks slots in squarely at #1.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-153675/jimi-hendrix-7-37992/

But anyways - Fuck cancer.  RIP Eddie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Prince at #33? This subjective list made to get clicks seems to be flawed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fromtia

Some sort of mistake surely? We keep trump but give up Eddie Van Halen? I'd like to speak to the manager.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
Never a huge fan of the band, but he was a great player, and my high school years were certainly influenced by heavily does of Van Halen.  :(

Damn.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Not to change the focus of this thread, but I think Jimi Hendrix is overrated. He was great, but many others have come since who are greater. i mean, who cares what Rolling Stone thinks, it's been irrelevant since the 80s.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

On topic: RIP Eddie.

Off topic: Hendrix #1 He was doing things nobody else was at the time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".