News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eddie Van Halen dies

Started by Josephus, October 06, 2020, 02:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2020, 06:49:34 AM
Not to change the focus of this thread, but I think Jimi Hendrix is overrated. He was great, but many others have come since who are greater. i mean, who cares what Rolling Stone thinks, it's been irrelevant since the 80s.
There are guitar virtuosos whose playing I personally like better (including Eddie), but no way anyone was more influential than Jimi.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

RIP Eddie

Quote from: 11B4V on October 07, 2020, 08:20:17 AM
Off topic: Hendrix #1 He was doing things nobody else was at the time.

Yeah, we have Hendrix fatigue because we got no evolution. It's the same riffs, same melodies for 50 years but he's still the George Washington of Guitar.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2020, 08:38:09 AM
RIP Eddie

Yeah, we have Hendrix fatigue because we got no evolution. It's the same riffs, same melodies for 50 years but he's still the George Washington of Guitar.

Your post made me read up on Carver's Wiki. The sentence "He was often on the road promoting Tuskegee University, peanuts, and racial harmony" should be able to be said about more people IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on October 06, 2020, 08:46:28 PM
It's Jimi Hendrix. :sleep:

Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
Prince at #33? This subjective list made to get clicks seems to be flawed.

Yes, it is deeply flawed.  It is really just a popularity poll rather than a list of skill.  No Lenny Breau in the top 20 for example.

But Hendrix should top both. 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2020, 12:19:15 PM
Yes, it is deeply flawed.  It is really just a popularity poll rather than a list of skill. 

it's worse then that, because it completely mixes up styles and genres and skills that aren't commensurable.  For example look at 22-24 which has in succession Frank Zappa, Buddy Guy and Angus Young.  On what basis are they being compared?   Figuring out where to put the blues guys vs the rock guys is an insolvable problem, with odd results like Bo Diddley imitator Keith Richards being ranked well above Bo Diddle;  Robert Johnson at the back of the bus stuck between Jack White and Kurt Cobain.  Other than the odd choice of Les Paul - best known for design and manufacture, and a couple fusion guys, there don't seem to be any jazz musicians, so key pioneers like Eddie Durham and Charlie Christian that everyone stole from are missing (not to mention no Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Sonny Sharrock, etc.). Carlos Santana is in the top 20 (deserved) but John McLaughlin is 68 - odd given that they have played together as ostensible equals for years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

On topic: RIP Eddie.

OK. In 1966 he was the best.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

I shall listen to '1984' tonight in tribute to a great musician and fun band.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I listened to "Women and Children First" last night.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

On topic: RIP Eddie.

Yeah, it's like arguing that Shakespeare was over-rated because his writing is full of clichés.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!