Washington Redskins to retire controversial team name following review

Started by garbon, July 13, 2020, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2020, 01:51:17 AM
Pick a safe name like the Washington Hummingbirds or the Washington Rat-fuckers or the Washington Doppelgangers.  You know what nobody has ever done?  Name a football team after another football team.  They could be the Washington Detroit Lions.

That's my new favorite  :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 14, 2020, 02:08:00 AM
Yeah, some people don't seem to get that naming an athletic team after you is an homage.

"The Berlin Fighting Jews"
Que le grand cric me croque !

Maximus

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 13, 2020, 09:46:10 PM
It's an interesting history. It seems to come from the interaction of French, English and Choctaw in the Mississippi Valley/Mobile Valley. The Choctaw (and perhaps the Chickasaws as well) used to use "Red men" for themselves, as people of war (red being the color of war - hence Baton Rouge). The French used "Red Men" following Choctaw diplomatic usage in negotiations of all kinds, which in turn filtered in official correspondence back to Versailles. The label certainly stuck, because the French and the English in the Carolinas themselves had begun to refer to themselves as "white men" vs the  "black men" they enslaved. Whether or not the Choctaw used "Red Men" in response to that earlier French (or English) practice is unclear. The usage eventually made its way up the Mississippi - including in translation into English in Kentucky. By the end of the 18th century, the word is making strong headway in the new United States. How red "men" became red "skins" in the US thereafter accompanies Indian removal, re-entering French from translation of American texts.
Huh, I was taught it came from the practice of he Beothuks painting themselves with ochre.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on July 14, 2020, 09:58:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 14, 2020, 09:53:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2020, 07:49:54 AM
The Foreskins. Close to the original name, not an ethnic minority, and people have already been informally calling them that for years.

Hail to the Foreskins.

prejudiced against most American men born prior to 1990, jews, and muslims :contract:

FYPFY :)

beyond the joke, I thought it was still popular in NA to give babies they old chop?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on July 14, 2020, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 14, 2020, 09:58:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 14, 2020, 09:53:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 14, 2020, 07:49:54 AM
The Foreskins. Close to the original name, not an ethnic minority, and people have already been informally calling them that for years.

Hail to the Foreskins.

prejudiced against most American men born prior to 1990, jews, and muslims :contract:

FYPFY :)

beyond the joke, I thought it was still popular in NA to give babies they old chop?

I think it's 50/50 now. I dunno.

I stayed out of the decision when my boys were born, as I'm not a man and I don't know the implications. Their dad made the decision for them.

Edit: Depends on where you live in the US now, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_circumcision

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Odd that there aren't any between 30 and 50.

Also, the borders between the Dakotas and the West are fishy. I think the map is just showing regional numbers. Odd since they went to the trouble of drawing state lines.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Maximus on July 14, 2020, 02:44:59 PM
Huh, I was taught it came from the practice of he Beothuks painting themselves with ochre.

Yes - Beothuks were referred to as "Red Indians". But the cultural impact of the Beothuks, and of the Newfoundland plantation, on the English language was too remote to have a lasting impact. It's an interesting case of parallel developments.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Well better way late than never I suppose.

But now there is some huge abuse scandal coming out about the slurs organization. Well hopefully this latest embarrasing shitshow finally forces Snyder to sell the club.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

I guess Snyder is as big a douche as the dude who owned the Clippers and Marge Schott? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 17, 2020, 07:50:12 AM
I guess Snyder is as big a douche as the dude who owned the Clippers and Marge Schott? :hmm:

He is proof that sometimes people become billionaires despite themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
So Washington is now named: the Washington Football Team. :D

Hail to the Football Team!
Hail to DC!
The Football Team plays football!
Fight for old DC!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy