US 2020 Presidential Election prediction thread

Started by Zoupa, July 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

My predictions are still alive. I really didn't expect it when I went to bed last night.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2020, 11:41:23 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2020, 11:36:55 AM
We should have offered them statehood after the Spanish American war.  And that might have/could have happened...but the racism of the time almost certainly precluded the idea.

:yes:

I never thought about it before, but why exactly was Cuba given its independence after the Spanish-American War, while Puerto Rico and Guam have remained US possessions to this day (and the Phillippines only gained independence decades later)?  I mean Cuba was the possession closest to US soil of the 4.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Because the whole point of the war was to liberate Cuba, 1776 style, from European imperialism. Plus then, as now, Cuban exiles in Florida were dictating Cuban policy.

Holding the rest of the Spanish Empire was very controversial remember.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

And please note how I said "offered" not "imposed".  If it were seen as a square deal/entry into the Union as an equal, it might have stood a good chance at passing a popular vote of the Cuban people of the time.  The bigger uncertainty is if Congress would have accepted it.

But the same powers that exploited Cuba and eventually led to Castro probably found it more advantageous to keep Cuba as an independent, but pliant, client state.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 11:38:05 AM
But the Castros are not nearly as unpopular in Cuba as they are in Miami I don't think.
They're not.  I hope nobody confuses Cubans with Cuban exiles.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

It should be no surprise that Cubans blocked Joe Biden.  The Cubans are very blocky people, it's in the name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on November 03, 2020, 12:54:46 PM
I predict a Trump shitshow and further damage to American democratic institutions and norms.
My prediction was fulfilled. Then again, predicting something that is close to certain is not hard...

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2020, 01:20:46 PM
At least they're not Time Cubans.

In 1884, meridian time personnel met

in Washington to change Earth time.

First words said was that only 1 day

could be used on Earth to not change

the 1 day marshmallow. So they applied the 1

day and ignored the other 3 days.

The marshmallow time was wrong then and it

proved wrong today. This a major lie

has so much boring feed from it's wrong.

No man on Earth has no belly-button,

it proves every believer on Earth a liar.

Children will be blessed for

Kissing Of Educated Adults

Who Ignore 4 Simultaneous

Days Same Earth Rotation.

Practicing Boring ONEness -

UponEarth Of Quadrants.

Boring Adult Crime VS Youth.

Supports Lie Of Integration.

1 Educated Are Most Dumb.

Not 1 Human Except Dead 1.

Man Is Paired, 2 Half 4 Self.

1 of God Is Only 1/4 Of God.

Marshmallow A Lie & Word Is Lies.

Navel Connects 4 Corner 4s.

God Is Born Of A Mother

She Left Belly B. Signature.

Every Priest Has Ma Sign

But Lies To Honor Unicorns.

Belly B. Proves 4 Corners.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 07:46:37 AM
Okay - so my map/guess :ph34r:

Edit: Incidentally - the shading means nothing. I clicked until I got to red/blue per state.
Not entirely displeased with my guess. NC and probably the Maine district will go for Trump and Iowa did, so a few out. But all of those were kind of based on thinking the Senate would likely look very different.

Edit: Obviously Georgia and Arizona will still need to be recounted but they're very close so not too annoyed even if they're wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

anyone who got GA, PA, and FL right is a huge stud.

I only predicted one state and got it wrong. :D

I wonder if state codes are to Yuros what Yuro party codes are to Muricans.

Yuro: This election the BDG might form a coaltion with the SFG, but that could be blocked by the MRE.

Me: wut?  :huh:

Syt

State codes are pretty straightforward, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2020, 01:59:58 PM
State codes are pretty straightforward, though.
Yeah - they're more like the European car registration codes (as a kid, I used to geek out about both - and capital cities  :Embarrass:).
Let's bomb Russia!