News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 17, 2021, 02:00:35 PM
The article doesn't really explain things fully. Was the rock still commonly referred to as the nickname that included a racial slur, or was that just in the 1925 article?

I wondered the same thing, so I went to look for the explanation the Chancellor gave - turns out it was a common nickname given by the then prevalent number of KKK members in the community and campus. 

I am not sure why one would object to the removal of such an object.

@BB yes.  All paid for by private donations to the Chancellor's fund.

PDH

I would think that there had be vestiges of that name usage other than one 1925 article as it was at least somewhat known.  While a rock itself is likely not offensive (unless rolling downhill toward a defending group of spearmen), informal carrying on of that name could have meant a lingering symbol attached to the rock.  Renaming a symbol can work, but often it creates a duel of meanings played out in a far more aggressive manner.

Just a thought.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Let me offer a geologic defence of leaving the rock where it was.

The article calls it a "glacial erratic".  So during the last ice age the rock became detached from wherever it started and was carried by the ice hundreds or thousands of kilometres until it was ultimately deposited by the melting ice.  So it has geologic and historic significance - but only in the place it was deposited.  Otherwise it's just a big hunk of granite.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I doubt there is a lack of big-ass rocks in Wisconsin.  The university will survive this dangerous assault of "wokeness".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

It sends a message that the university will let KKK define what is good and what is bad. This is hardly unintentional.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThen Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the rock, and confess over it all the iniquities of the University of Wisconsin, and all their transgressions, all their sins, putting them on the head of the rock, and sending it away into the wilderness by means of someone with a giant crane. The rock shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a barren region; and the rock shall be set free in the wilderness
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2021, 02:19:29 PM
Let me offer a geologic defence of leaving the rock where it was.

The article calls it a "glacial erratic".  So during the last ice age the rock became detached from wherever it started and was carried by the ice hundreds or thousands of kilometres until it was ultimately deposited by the melting ice.  So it has geologic and historic significance - but only in the place it was deposited.  Otherwise it's just a big hunk of granite.

The article says it sat on the crest since 1925, which seems to imply that it was moved there at the time (though it doesn't explicitly say so), which would mean it had already moved from its original location. The article does mention it's being moved to what sounds like an appropriate site:

QuoteThe rock has been moved to university-owned land southeast of Madison near Lake Kegonsa. The area is within a glacial till landscape.

The part of Germany I grew up in was partially shaped by Ice Age glaciers, and while erratics are not entirely uncommon in the area, I doubt many remain in their original place.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Total aside. Glacial erratics are common in Sweden. Obviously moving one doesn't matter from any preservation POV. My guess though is that most are in the original locations, if you needed the space it was probably simpler to cut it up.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Addendum: some have Viking Age runic inscriptions. :) The rocks that is.

Syt

This site has some notable erratics (or Findlinge, because they were found randomly in the landscape) in Schleswig-Holstein. Based on geological analysis they're mostly from Southern and central Sweden, and overall of not impressive size.

https://strand-und-steine.de/gesteine/findlinge/ezfindlinge/schleswigholstein.htm

The biggest is the Düvelstein (devil's stone) at 180-200 tons, most underground, only 3-4 meters are above ground.

EDIT: we didn't have many rune stones in our area. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeby_stones
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quotethey're mostly from Southern and central Sweden, and overall of not impressive size.

You too? :weep:

The Brain