So.....how do I go about getting a more diverse team?

Started by Berkut, July 04, 2020, 06:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I've only been asked that by recruiters. Same with salary expectations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2020, 12:24:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 12, 2020, 12:15:26 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2020, 10:59:30 AM
Do people in the US say what they make now before they've heard an offer?

It's a very common question to be asked during the interview process. The best response is typically a vague range with maybe a little inflation rather than a direct amount.

Yeah, seems weird to give away that kind of information in a business negotiation. And you're not only giving away information about yourself, you're also giving away information about your current employer, which isn't really a classy thing to do.

Agreed on all fronts, though it should be noted that the more progressive employers are beginning to avoid that sort of question. One job I applied for recently made an explicit acknowledgement of their commitment to avoiding bias by expressly stating that they will not ask current/previous compensation. I thought that was pretty impressive.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on July 12, 2020, 12:15:26 PM

It's a very common question to be asked during the interview process. The best response is typically a vague range with maybe a little inflation rather than a direct amount.
You may be required to submit proof of the current salary before getting an offer.  Yes, obviously that's an abuse of potential employer's negotiating power, but that's what the situation is sometimes.

Berkut

WEll, to be fair, a lot of times it is just a short cut to avoid wasting everyones time.

I was interviewing someone last month, and she was freaking awesome. Great experience, lots of skills we desperately needed. My peer interviewed her, my boss interviewed her, then I interviewed her. At the end of my interview, the salary issue came up, and she said what she would like, and what she would need to consider the position.

That number was nearly double my own salary.

Kind of wish we had gotten that deal breaker out of the way a lot earlier.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

In the UK you are expected to tell them that before you even talk to anyone, or at the latest when the recruiter calls you.

merithyn

I always give a range of what I'll need with the least amount that I'll take at the 30% level of that range. When they ask what I make now, I defer to answer, for the reason that Berkut mentioned. I'm not giving anyone an opportunity to pay me at a lower range. All they need to know is what I'm willing to accept, not what my current salary is.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on July 13, 2020, 07:31:46 AM
WEll, to be fair, a lot of times it is just a short cut to avoid wasting everyones time.

I was interviewing someone last month, and she was freaking awesome. Great experience, lots of skills we desperately needed. My peer interviewed her, my boss interviewed her, then I interviewed her. At the end of my interview, the salary issue came up, and she said what she would like, and what she would need to consider the position.

How did what she made at her present job come up?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2020, 07:33:56 AM

In the UK you are expected to tell them that before you even talk to anyone, or at the latest when the recruiter calls you.

What do they say when the answer is "because of an NDA I cannot tell you"?

And a more general point: how often do you interview for a job that is exactly like the one you already have? A current job may or may not have anything at all to do with the job the person is interviewing for.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Why didn't your company publish as part of the job description the salary that the position would offer? If she had known from the beginning she wouldn't have even applied, saving everyone plenty of time. I never knew why the onus is always put on the potential employee to offer the initial number and then barter from that starting point.

Caliga

This is starting to become illegal in the United States, actually.  It is now illegal in Illinois, for example (a law banning the practice went into effect last year).  I think it might be illegal in California now too?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on July 13, 2020, 09:20:16 AM

Why didn't your company publish as part of the job description the salary that the position would offer? If she had known from the beginning she wouldn't have even applied, saving everyone plenty of time. I never knew why the onus is always put on the potential employee to offer the initial number and then barter from that starting point.

Got me, but that is very, very rarely done.

In this case, she was referred to us by someone else anyway, not in response to a specific job posting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Because they are the ones with less leverage and in a weaker position. So this is exploited by being vague with the salary they can expect and wanting to learn what they earn. I guess from a business point of view this is solid practice in squeezing every penny out of your new hires. Morally is questionable of course.

Iormlund

I addition making the salary public might cause problems with current employees who make less doing the same thing.

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on July 13, 2020, 09:34:51 AM

Got me, but that is very, very rarely done.

In this case, she was referred to us by someone else anyway, not in response to a specific job posting.

Ok, if it was not a job posting and a referal instead then I can see it how it proceeded that way, but maybe the subject should have been touched upon earlier in the process then.