News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars: Squadrons

Started by Syt, June 12, 2020, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

https://gamerjournalist.com/what-time-does-star-wars-squadrons-unlock/#:~:text=Star%20Wars%20Squadrons%20unlocks%20at,%2C%202020%20(Pre%2Dorder)

QuoteStar Wars Squadrons unlocks at midnight UTC on October 2, 2020, for all players who pre-purchase the title on Epic and Steam. Here's a breakdown of release times by time zone:

8 PM EST, October 1, 2020 (Pre-order)
5 PM PST, October 1, 2020 (Pre-order)
Midnight, October 2, 2020 (All Platforms)
For all other platforms, the game releases at midnight in your region. The times are confirmed by EA Star Wars and BioWare Global Community Manager Andrew Johnson on Twitter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

That does not appear to be correct.  I pre-ordered on Steam and am not in.

Ah that was helpful Habs.  Going to this Andrew Johnson's Twitter he apologized, said it changed, is now 0400 UTC for Americas.  Which would mean 10pm Mountain, midnight Eastern.

https://twitter.com/UNTDrew/status/1311828713898758144
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

10pm MDT, still locked.

It's okay, at this point I wouldn't have much time to play anyways.  But I did want to check it out.

10:10 and it wants to let me in, but need to download final patch or something.

Edit:

Bah: 10:30 downloaded patch, but now I need to update graphics drivers.

Tamas

Seems like there's some built in deadzone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDsMMh7IGQ&feature=emb_title

So maybe I am not THAT bad at this game then :P

Syt

Love some of the reviews on Steam.

"Clearly designed VR first and than shoddily adapted to 2D."
"It's great in 2D, but the VR feels rushed and badly implemented."
:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2020, 02:49:55 AM
Seems like there's some built in deadzone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDsMMh7IGQ&feature=emb_title

So maybe I am not THAT bad at this game then :P

What's a deadzone?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

An area around the center position of a joystick where movement is not registered. Usually defined so you don't accidentally move into one or the other reaction. The larger the deadzone the further you have to push the stick for movement to happen. Many games let players adjust the size of the zone to their liking.

I remember hating playing with analog joysticks in the 90s and early 00s - they were always drifting in one direction, even when centered. I wonder if setting deadzones would have helped.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Yeah, so at 10:30 I had to download new graphics drivers, then I get into the game.

I have no idea what my EA password is, so I have to go and reset that.

Finally get into the game.  It sure looks pretty.  I set up my pilots, then it dumps me right into the action.

Controls on my HOTAS are borked at first (up is down and down is up), so I try playing with a mouse.  Playing with a mouse and keyboard is hard.  First mission is very tutorial-esque, but even then I eventually die.

Then go into a game menu where I can try to re-map all my HOTAS controls.  But decide to go to bed instead.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 10:00:16 AM(up is down and down is up)

Isn't that the default for flight controls? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2020, 10:26:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 10:00:16 AM(up is down and down is up)

Yes - but I just meant that when I pull back on my joystick to go up, it went down instead.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2020, 10:26:03 AM

Yes - but I just meant that when I pull back on my joystick to go up, it went down instead.

So down was down  :P

Tamas

One thing took me a while to realise is that they deem 50% power to be the sweet spot for maneuvering it is even highlighted on the ships' instruments.

Don't really have patience for the story knowing its a filler and the real game is MP. Had a quick try at a quick match (has to be level 5 before you join the real mode). I actually wasn't too bad thanks for everyone being new and not knowing what they are doing. But just with other such games (like Elite) it feels like the X52 just isn't made for sudden turns. Feels like I am a sitting duck and not really making any proper evasive maneuvers.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on October 02, 2020, 12:55:40 PM
One thing took me a while to realise is that they deem 50% power to be the sweet spot for maneuvering it is even highlighted on the ships' instruments.

Don't really have patience for the story knowing its a filler and the real game is MP. Had a quick try at a quick match (has to be level 5 before you join the real mode). I actually wasn't too bad thanks for everyone being new and not knowing what they are doing. But just with other such games (like Elite) it feels like the X52 just isn't made for sudden turns. Feels like I am a sitting duck and not really making any proper evasive maneuvers.

You have to learn to "boost drift".  Go to max power to engines, build up your boost ability.  Press and hold your boost - you can now turn the orientation of your ship while still travelling in your original direction.  Release your boost and you now accelerate in your new direction.

You have to build up the boost so you can't use it constantly, but apparently you can use this to do a complete 180 degree turn very rapidly.

But remember this is from a guy who played for about 10 minutes.

But I don't think it's your controller.  Both Elite and this you aren't supposed to make turns on a dime.

Octavian

Playing this in PSVR. It's a blast. So far one of the best VR experiences for me.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee