News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars: Squadrons

Started by Syt, June 12, 2020, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2020, 10:06:02 AM
I've played the tutorial and did a bit of practice flying to get a feel for it.

Is it me, or does the combat feel slow compared to the original games? Actually, to me even the ship combat in the new Battlefront II feels smoother. Also, not a fan of the yaw in game (IIRC X-Wing and TIE-Fighter only had roll/pitch, not roll, pitch & yaw).

The mention of Iskalon from the 1980s Marvel comics made me grin, though.

For my HOTAS roll and yaw (IIRC) was the wrong way around had to customise it. That and a lot of other things.

Syt

No, having yaw in the game at all feels weird to my muscle memory. Besides, in the movies, whenever a ship turns it's moving more akin to a plane, rolling into the turn, so it also looks weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Additionally, I'm a tad underwhelmed by the graphics. It looks good, but not *that* overwhelmingly great. (yes I play on maxed settings)

Sorry if I come off as negative, but after an hour I feel quite underwhelmed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2020, 10:17:41 AM
No, having yaw in the game at all feels weird to my muscle memory. Besides, in the movies, whenever a ship turns it's moving more akin to a plane, rolling into the turn, so it also looks weird.

Do you have a joystick? Because that's what Iean: I had to switch yaw and roll around to make my ships turn like airplanes.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2020, 10:18:49 AM
Additionally, I'm a tad underwhelmed by the graphics. It looks good, but not *that* overwhelmingly great. (yes I play on maxed settings)

Sorry if I come off as negative, but after an hour I feel quite underwhelmed.

Agreed on the graphics, I guess they had to make it run on the bloody ps4.

Tamas

I wasn't that taken with it after an hour either in fact I was still trying to set up controls the way I like them. Once that's done and played the prologue I was starting to get hooked. Will see if it lasts.

My biggest issue at the moment is that most fleet battles feel very claustrophobic because of all the objects and terrain. These are very nice for death matches but with half a dozen capital ships added it feels like a mass brawl in an elevator.

Syt

I'm using a joystick, may have to switch up controls a bit. Still, game and flight feels like underwater. Maybe it's also something I can remedy with settings. Currently I feel like reinstalling TIE-Fighter or X-Wing Alliance again.

Re: graphics, I think I know what's bugging me - the detail level is good and everything, but the design seems to sit in a weird spot between trying to be realistic and being stylized, and for me it sits in a weird uncanny valley sort of thing in between.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

I hated the controls until I made moving my joystick left make me roll left like an airplane instead of turning left like a car :p plus inverted up and down. Started to click from there.

HVC

Fleet battle are confusing as hell.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2020, 10:17:41 AM

You have muscle memory from a game that came out 25+ years ago?

Honestly, I never played the X-Wing and Tie-fighter games.  I wanted to, just didn't have the right computer for it at the time.  By the time I did have a Windows computer I did play the hell out of Wing Commander 3 and 4.

But anyways, I bought this joystick to play Elite: Dangerous, and the controls are completely familiar to me after playing that game (including the yaw).

Played through the first two mission (hardly very far) - enjoying it so far.  Wish I had a night I could just geek out on it and play a lot though.  Early morning hockey this morning and tomorrow though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2020, 11:32:38 PM
You have muscle memory from a game that came out 25+ years ago?

I may have played them a lot at the time. -_-

I also still know instinctively how to execute all special moves in Super Street Fighter II. :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Getting a bit better at Fleet Battles.  Can't really figure out how not to make my bombing runs on capital ships not suicide runs, though. I am not sure but I think proton torpedos can be shot down which makes them really suboptimal with the amount of random (AI AAA guns and such) shooting going on. For the rest you need to get close and of course players worth a damn would prioritise you as a target.

Syt

Are you saying your squad mates aren't providing you with cover? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2020, 02:15:58 PM
Are you saying your squad mates aren't providing you with cover? :P

Well I don't really bother to communicate :P I mean it would help for sure but it is such a chaotic mess by the time they'd actually find me I'd already be deep in trouble

Tamas

Probably I am just falling out of touch with the meta as I only play about an hour a day, but I feel like this recent patch somehow made my HOTAS work worse with the game. I was fairly decent in Fleet Battles during the weekend, skipped a couple of days now I just seem unable to fight effectively.  It just feels sluggish, although they have introduced a global dead zone setting and I have it down at like 6%. Tried it with zero but then I lose all chance of ever keeping anyone in my crosshairs.