News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Name my boat

Started by Liep, May 30, 2020, 10:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

So I bought a boat and it needs a name. It's a 29 foot sailboat.

Currently I'm stuck on "Seaward" but it's only due to my lack of original thought and love of Arrested Development.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zoupa

Can't go wrong with Incan Torpedo Boat.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Boaty McBoatface is a classic
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I've been thinking about taking up sailing and getting a boat.

I really, really want to name my theoretical boat "Annie's Boobs". With a little picture of the monkey between the words.

It will offend people who don't get the reference, and amuse those who do....

Tell me about your boat!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:25:28 AM
Can't go wrong with Incan Torpedo Boat.

I'm not sure I want to go more narrow with the references. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

I nominate Nice Boat.

Liep

Quote from: Berkut on May 30, 2020, 10:26:55 AM
Tell me about your boat!

2001 Jeanneau 29.2 with a relatively new engine and sails. Not super fast, but comfortable and pretty easy to sail. Turns out it's pretty good timing as I now have a place to vacation when I can't travel abroad this summer.

Josquius

"More money than sense"
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Current name is Vera which is fine for now.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Richard Hakluyt

Very nice, maybe leave it at Vera for now and change the name after a summer of sailing.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Nice boat.    :)

Now, that said....

My god man, you have hardly met her.  Get to know her, find out her foibles both good and bad.  Run her tight into the wind, race with a 3/4 run, power her around.  This is not a one night stand, this is SERIOUS STUFF.

(and she might be a Vera after all)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

You know the saying about the happiest days of a boat owner, right?  :P