UK extends visa rights to 3 million Hong Kongers

Started by Sheilbh, May 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: The Brain on June 13, 2020, 06:32:30 PM
Lord Green? Is he a pimp or a rapper?

He is a Lord.  I am sure he is an honourable and distinguished person.   :bowler:

Eddie Teach

Too bad his honorable, distinguished ancestors weren't separated from their heads.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 13, 2020, 07:04:21 PM
Too bad his honorable, distinguished ancestors weren't separated from their heads.
He's a life peer, by Cameron. It was fairly controversial at the time because Migration Watch's use of statistics has been inaccurate, lots of sort of tendentious stats to whip up fury.

His bio also doesn't mention that he's currently a director of the British Syrian Society which is basically a PR exercise for the Assad regime.

So quite - honourable and distinguished.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Not sure keeping the nomenclature makes it any better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

An update now the law has passed:
QuoteChina is breaking Hong Kong treaty with UK, says Boris Johnson
PM denounces new security law and promises bespoke visa for 2.9 million Hongkongers
Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor
Wed 1 Jul 2020 14.32 BST
Last modified on Wed 1 Jul 2020 14.54 BST

Boris Johnson denounced China's imposition of a security law on Hong Kong as a "clear and serious" violation of its treaty with Britain, vowing to introduce a bespoke five-year visa for as many as 2.9 million Hong Kong citizens with British national (overseas) status.

Speaking at prime minister's questions on Wednesday he said the law introduced by the Chinese government constituted a clear and serious breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration, signed in 1984 and aimed at smoothing the transition when the territory was handed back to China in 1997.

The UK believes Beijing's move violates Hong Kong's autonomy and is in direct conflict with the territory's Basic Law, its mini-constitution. The law also threatens the freedoms and rights protected by the joint declaration.

The prime minister said: "We have made clear that if China continued down this path we would introduce a new route to those with British national (overseas) status to enter the UK granting them limited leave to remain with the ability to live and work in the UK and thereafter to apply for citizenship, and that is precisely what we will do now."

The foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, promised the UK would honour its commitment to the people of Hong Kong. "We will grant BN(O)s five years' limited leave to remain, with the right to work or study. After these five years, they will be able to apply for settled status.

"After further 12 months with settled status, they will be able to apply for citizenship.
 This is a special, bespoke, set of arrangements developed for the unique circumstances we face," Raab told MPs.

He added: "All those with BN(O) status will be eligible, as will their family dependants who are usually resident in Hong Kong. The Home Office will put in place a simple, streamlined, application process. There will be no quota on numbers."

Describing the Chinese moves as "a grave and deeply disturbing step", he warned that China would erode trust "in its willingness to keep its word and live up to its promises".

But Raab set out no specific plans to sanction China either collectively or by punishing individual officials through new legislation due to be introduced by the Foreign Office this month after considerable delay. He said the legislation would be published before the recess and it would include the first designations, but did not specify if Chinese officials would be included.

Raab instead pointed to a resolution passed by the UN Human Rights Council supported by 27 other countries condemning China, saying it was a foretaste of the alliance he was seeking to build.

He said he was hopeful that other countries in south-east Asia would also offer asylum to Hong Kong citizens wanting to leave.

The shadow foreign secretary, Lisa Nandy, welcomed the citizenship offer but pressed Raab to urge UK businesses in Hong Kong such as Standard Chartered not to be complicit in the repression. She also urged the government to ensure that the BN(O) offer did not become available only to the wealthy. BN(O) status is only available to those born before 1997, omitting many younger protesters.

Nandy also called for an inquiry into the role of the Chinese mobile phone technology firm Huawei in the UK's 5G network and in nuclear power. She said she feared the Treasury still regarded Chinese investment as "a central plank of the UK recovery and the government approach remains deeply confused".

Raab said it was a sobering day for Hong Kong, and pointed to signs that protesters were being arrested or threatened with arrest under the new legislation.

He then detailed his analysis of how the legislation breached both the Basic Law and the joint declaration.

He pointed out: "The imposition of this legislation by the government in Beijing, rather than it being left to Hong Kong's own institutions, was in direct conflict with article 23 of China's own Basic Law for Hong Kong ... which affirms that Hong Kong should bring forward national security legislation on its own."

The Basic Law, he said, "only allows Beijing to directly impose laws in a very limited number of cases, such as for the purposes of defence and foreign affairs, or in exceptional circumstances in which the National People's Congress declares a state of war or a state of emergency".

"None of those exceptions apply here.
 Nor has the National People's Congress sought to justify this law on any such basis."

He added that the legislation "contains a slew of measures that directly threaten the freedoms and rights protected by the joint declaration", including the "potentially wide-ranging ability of the mainland authorities to take jurisdiction over certain cases, without any independent oversight, and to try those cases in the Chinese courts".

Raab said the measures "represent a flagrant assault on freedom of speech and freedom of assembly". He highlighted extraterritorial clauses in the law that implied words spoken in the UK might be cause for arrest in Hong Kong.

The laws gave Hong Kong's chief executive, rather than the chief justice, the power to appoint judges to hear national security cases – "a move that clearly risks undermining the independence of Hong Kong's judiciary".

He also condemned the establishment of a new Office for Safeguarding National Security in Hong Kong run by the mainland authorities.

The office has wide-ranging powers directly intruding on the responsibility of the Hong Kong authorities to maintain public order.

He said "China has broken its promise to the people of Hong Kong under its own laws. 
China has breached its international obligations to the United Kingdom under the joint declaration.
"

Taking a restrained tone that may frustrate some backbenchers, he stressed: "We want a positive relationship with China. We recognise its growth, its stature and the powerful role it can play."

He added: "It is precisely because we respect China as a leading member of the international community that we expect the Chinese government to meet its international obligations, and live up to its international responsibilities."

Hong Kong's autonomy was guaranteed under the "one country, two systems" agreement enshrined in the 1984 joint declaration signed by the then Chinese premier, Zhao Ziyang, and British prime minister, Margaret Thatcher.

The Foreign Office said: "There are 349,881 holders of BN(O) passports and the government estimates there are around 2.9m BN(O)s currently in Hong Kong. The scheme is for eligible BN(O) status holders and their immediate family dependants."

I feel like the detail about immediate family dependants is new and positive which is good because it will hopefully help some of the young "rioters" out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

What is meant with "dependent" here? - the way the word usually means the one with BNO would have to be the main breadwinner.
What if its a Hong Konger who is a house wife to a working husband from elsewhere?
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I have said it before and I will say it again.  It is best for everybody for the rioters to leave.  The long-term solution to Hong Kong's political problems is large scale population movement.  Those who don't like the political system, can't afford living in Hong Kong, can't compete with the Mainland workers and consumers etc leave.  A new generation of rich, productive and obedient Mainlanders move in. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on July 01, 2020, 07:59:31 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again.  It is best for everybody for the rioters to leave.  The long-term solution to Hong Kong's political problems is large scale population movement.  Those who don't like the political system, can't afford living in Hong Kong, can't compete with the Mainland workers and consumers etc leave.  A new generation of rich, productive and obedient Mainlanders move in.

This should improve your social obedience score no end.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2020, 08:27:39 PM

This should improve your social obedience score no end.

I come to languish to say what I can't say in real life but what I really want to say  :)

Valmy

We'll see how obedient those mainlanders are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2020, 09:34:26 PM

It is about expectations.  The majority of Hong Kongers see their living standards decline in the past two decades.  It is the opposite for Mainlanders.  A Mainlander doesn't have access to Google, Facebook, Youtube etc.  They have to bribe a doctor before they get treated in a public hospital.  In HK, they have free access to the internet, and don't have to bribe doctors or civil servants.  They will see coming to HK as an improvement.  The HK government maintaining the "no preferential treatment for HKers" policy is beneficial to Mainlanders.  They have a stake in keeping the status quo.  It is the HKers who want change. 

Sheilbh

The shift in opinion on this in the last 30 years is incredible:

Edit: And Australia is considering setting up an assylum scheme too, sounds like the cabinet will take a decision soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on July 01, 2020, 09:44:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2020, 09:34:26 PM

It is about expectations.  The majority of Hong Kongers see their living standards decline in the past two decades.  It is the opposite for Mainlanders.  A Mainlander doesn't have access to Google, Facebook, Youtube etc.  They have to bribe a doctor before they get treated in a public hospital.  In HK, they have free access to the internet, and don't have to bribe doctors or civil servants.  They will see coming to HK as an improvement.  The HK government maintaining the "no preferential treatment for HKers" policy is beneficial to Mainlanders.  They have a stake in keeping the status quo.  It is the HKers who want change. 

They will see HK as an improvement.... Which is day by day being made less of one.
I wonder how long the unfiltered Internet will last.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2020, 04:06:57 AM
Hong Kong's success is, to a large extent, attributable to crazy policies on the Mainland like the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution etc.  Those policies made the Mainlanders lose their brains.  So HKers were the only ones left with them.  Once the crazy policies were removed and the Mainlanders got their brains back, there was nothing really that special about HK brains.

No that's not quite right.  Hong Kong had until very recently as -- Singapore still has -- a key niche in international trade and finance that e.g. Shanghai can't fill despite its quality infrastructure and work force.  Investors will always prefer a location that reliably respects the rule of law.  Hong Kong did, the PRC doesn't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson