News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Rockband Since 1981?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2020, 10:32:18 AM
The eternal category debate...

Metal is a state within the state of rock
and then we get into neo experimental norwegian black metal of type III of which there are approximately 50 fans worldwide :P

Yeah, I know.   But if we count metal as a subgenre of rock, than rock is a subgenre of rock'n'roll which is a subgenre of blues.

I prefer to see metal as an evolution of the style leading to a different type of music alltogether.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
Who would you say is the best Rock Band to put out a new album since 1981?
If metal counts, then Iron Maiden.

If not, then AC/DC.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2020, 11:13:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
Who would you say is the best Rock Band to put out a new album since 1981?
If metal counts, then Iron Maiden.

If not, then AC/DC.

Metal is a kind of rock, so it counts
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Obviously Metallica. If metals doesn't count then Nirvana.

Malthus

Best middle of the road rock band?

Clearly, the correct answer is the Butthole Surfers.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on May 22, 2020, 01:04:01 PM

About Nirvana though... they released 3 studio albums.  The first didn't sell all that much, the second was huge, and by the third sold well, but not nearly as much as Nevermind.  They were hugely influential, but "best band"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2020, 02:40:59 PM

About Nirvana though... they released 3 studio albums.  The first didn't sell all that much, the second was huge, and by the third sold well, but not nearly as much as Nevermind.  They were hugely influential, but "best band"?

I think probably best band if tragedy had not struck.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 22, 2020, 03:35:05 PM

She has a name you know.

Barrister

I dunno.  In Utero sounded an awful lot like Nevermind: they had probably gotten about as much as they could have out of their loud-soft-loud sound.  I think their fame actually grew because of Cobaine's suicide, much as it had for Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix.

The counterpoint to this of course is Foo Fighters.  But would an ongoing Nirvana have turned into something like Foo Fighters, which is a more traditional rock n roll band?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2020, 03:37:16 PM

She has a name you know.

Exactly what I was thinking.  :cheers:

saskganesh

Discharge was hugely influential, changing punk and metal, but few have heard about them.

Operation Ivy was a revelation, but they only had one indy album. But again, extremely influential.

Nirvana was influential AND successful. If Nirvana sounds today like nothing special, that's because ten thousand bands over the past three decades decided to sound like them.

I haven't kept up with modern music seriously since about 1997-2000, so you may disqualify me. Rock and Roll is no longer the killer app: it's just another genre in a very crowded cultural field. # Shakes fists at clouds.

I'll plug Black Mountain though. They consciously draw on Zep, Floyd and Hawkwind to make their own transcendent, heavy, psychedelic sound.
humans were created in their own image