Grey Fox

I have never heard of Shinedown.

U2 is the right answer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on May 21, 2020, 07:36:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2020, 07:18:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 21, 2020, 06:05:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2020, 03:26:51 AMLongevity included perhaps Foo Fighters?

They were the first ones to come to my mind, actually.

Weird chart, I haven't even heard of most of the bands on it, yet the ones I know are world famous. American particularity?
Yeah, it's the U.S. rock chart. It's measured by what plays on US stations. So, most of the bands on it are American. Those that aren't are British or Canadian.

I assume if I looked at the Spanish charts they'd all be Spanish or Latin American acts. No?

But there's some rather big disparity in those charts, it seems that it's either a massive global band (Van Halen, Aerosmith, Metallica amongst the classics, Linkin Park or Foo Fighters amongst the more recent ones) or bands that, sincerely, I've never even heard of, and checking the international performance of the two top ones (Shinedown and Three Days Grace, never heard of either before) it seems that their massive impact in the US and Canada doesn't really track internationally, they have gold and platinum records in both the US and Canada, but barely anything outside of them.

Well, I'm just spit balling here and a little tipsy, but the rock scene internationally, and especially in Europe has remained much stronger than in the Anglosphere, is that not right?

I mean, I love Shinedown, but as Eddie indicated, it may simply be a big fish in a small pond situation where Shinedown and Three Days Grace effortlessly crushes the 21st century competition in the US while still finding it extremely difficult to crack into the European market against strong competition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Eddie Teach

That video has only 1.3 million views, which is basically nothing for one released in YouTube era.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
Who would you say is the best Rock Band to put out a new album since 1981?
I wouldn't count Metallica as a rock band in the 80s.  That was Metal, thrash metal until the Black Album which was only heavy metal, and then some rock albums with covers, than some hit&miss, mostly miss trying to redo their 80s sound.  But, rock?  Nope.

Now, if we exclude Metallica, I'll nominate Bon Jovi.  Personally, I preferred Def Leppard sound, but it is undeniable to me that the Bon Jovi sound & look defined the 80s.  I know it had started before that, but it marked the peak of that style, imho.  And the band is still touring nowadays, with moderate success.  You can hear Bon Jovi's songs as soundtracks of movies from the 80s & later, but not that many "hairband" did it.  GNR has had You could be mine in T2, but I don't think any other appeared in any movie I watched.

It ain't my favorite band, but it's the one that defines the 80s for me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

viper37

Quote from: Liep on May 20, 2020, 11:13:37 PM
We're #8! We're #8! :yeah:

Surprising though, I think I've only heard 2 Volbeat songs but maybe it's because they all sound the same to me. :(
:mellow: Lola Montez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOIDN-akrY
Devil's Bleeding crown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nb7DD7vdQ0
Evelyn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDTMzSMfXk&list=PLW-e786IaZ12fdNDDfVzqBtQ-a-EyIs9m&index=203&t=0s
How is this the same?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2020, 07:29:50 AM
Best Mainstream rock band is pretty damning for the true metalhead crowd so they might go for Metallica actually. :P
Yeah, well, I would have a tough time nominate the best metal band since '81.So many good bands out there right now...

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Metal is a subgenre of rock. All metal bands are rock bands, though not all rock bands are metal bands.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on May 21, 2020, 10:15:17 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
Who would you say is the best Rock Band to put out a new album since 1981?
I wouldn't count Metallica as a rock band in the 80s.  That was Metal, thrash metal until the Black Album which was only heavy metal, and then some rock albums with covers, than some hit&miss, mostly miss trying to redo their 80s sound.  But, rock?  Nope.

Now, if we exclude Metallica, I'll nominate Bon Jovi.  Personally, I preferred Def Leppard sound, but it is undeniable to me that the Bon Jovi sound & look defined the 80s.  I know it had started before that, but it marked the peak of that style, imho.  And the band is still touring nowadays, with moderate success.  You can hear Bon Jovi's songs as soundtracks of movies from the 80s & later, but not that many "hairband" did it.  GNR has had You could be mine in T2, but I don't think any other appeared in any movie I watched.

It ain't my favorite band, but it's the one that defines the 80s for me.

The eternal category debate...

Metal is a state within the state of rock (no deep state chillax everybody!), see the sometimes blurry limit between Hard rock and Heavy Metal.
Hell, even Bonjovi either was claimed to be metal or even said in the very beginning of the '80s. Later on, he would say Cannibal Corpse gives a bad image of metal.  :P
I think of that, because in a record store I saw Bonjovi just on the left of Cannibal Corpse (alphabetic order from up to bottom then switch to another column).

Mind you, I obviously know what you mean, Metallica's Load cannot be considered as a Thrash Metal album, not even Heavy Metal.

PS: Eddie beat me to it.