Do you pay a subscription for any websites?

Started by Barrister, April 23, 2020, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

National Geographic paper, it gives me access to all the website contents.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Camerus

I'm pretty cheap, but I signed up to the New York Times for $4 a month Canadian. However, I might cancel out at some point. Not sure if it's worth the cost versus just what I can get from free websites.

KRonn

I have one for a Boston paper. It used to be free but then it went to subscription. I wanted something local so went with  paying for it. It's cheap though. I also have a subscription to a local multi-town paper to see local news, an actual delivered news paper.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2020, 02:28:47 PM
What I found interesting was how US newspaper subs seem cheaper than German language ones. NYT was $14 IIRC. German paper Die Zeit or Austrian paper Der Standard are both 20-22 EUR.

I know magazine subs are generally cheaper in US vs say here in UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

I only have a newspaper subscription, I get the weekend edition in print plus full digital access.

Zanza

I pay for Google Drive to backup my photos.

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 23, 2020, 03:11:45 PM
I refuse to pay for any subscription.

and that's why good journalism is dead.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Have WaPo and WSJ access through work. I skip the NYT.

Personally, I sub to The Athletic and The Atlantic.

My wife also gets the weekend edition of the WaPo but she said our sub expired a while back, yet we still receive the weekend papers.  :ph34r:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2020, 06:25:26 AM
Have WaPo and WSJ access through work. I skip the NYT.

Personally, I sub to The Athletic and The Atlantic.

My wife also gets the weekend edition of the WaPo but she said our sub expired a while back, yet we still receive the weekend papers.  :ph34r:

How do you keep them apart?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on April 24, 2020, 05:50:10 AM

If we're including this then also a VPN and a backup service.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on April 24, 2020, 06:42:55 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 24, 2020, 05:50:10 AM

If we're including this then also a VPN and a backup service.

Then we can also include which podcasters or youtubers we support on Patreon?  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

We have a dead trees subscription to the Space Coast edition of Florida Today; which gives us access to their online content.  It's not really in depth; but it is the only good source for local news I've found.

I'm a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) as well as a member of the IEEE Communication Society - which gives me access to a number of on line publications and white paper.  The general magazine (The Spectrum) is like the bizarro world version of a news magazine: everything is getting better, technology will solve all our problems, Harvard's college of engineering doesn't actually suck (or at least not as much as you might think it does), and soon we'll all have those exoskeleton suits from alien.  I don't think the comm soc publications would be of interest to anyone else, but I find them interesting to see some of the far out ideas coming from academia and research labs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock