News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you pay a subscription for any websites?

Started by Barrister, April 23, 2020, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 01:03:09 PM
New York Times. I also got subs to FT and Bloomberg through work, but I wouldn't sub to them on my own.

I've been entertaining The Athletic for some time, might go for it once there's some actual sport.

I just checked - supposedly they were going to start covering La Liga as of this month!

Not sure what kind of coverage there would be there (in particular since it is an english-language website), but I think it's coverage of the Premier League is top notch).
As a fan of a non-top 6 side I like their coverage a lot.

Plus some very good "other"/generalist football writers like Michael Cox and Rapha Honigstein.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
New York Times. I also got subs to FT and Bloomberg through work, but I wouldn't sub to them on my own.

I've been entertaining The Athletic for some time, might go for it once there's some actual sport.

I just checked - supposedly they were going to start covering La Liga as of this month!

Not sure what kind of coverage there would be there (in particular since it is an english-language website), but I think it's coverage of the Premier League is top notch).

I don't need coverage of La Liga, there's plenty of that over here  :P

I'm looking for good, non click-baity, coverage of yank sports. Grantland used to scratch that itch, but The Ringer isn't quite there.

It's not really the place for just national-level, day-to-day scores and whatnot.  If you're looking for that I think just ESPN would be your best bet.

But if you want super-indepth coverage of specific teams it's wonderful.

I'll take the free trial once there's actual sports going and see, I guess. I'm interested in basketball, MLS, and kinda the NFL, but the only yank teams I support are the Giants and the Knicks, and I'm not sure I want to read detailed coverage of them  :lol:

Habbaku

Just The Economist for print publications. It's definitely worth the money, and their book review section has ended up costing me more than the subscription.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

The Athletic. The Globe and Mail. Foreign Affairs. Prog.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

fromtia

The Economist and Jacobin. Both lapsed though.   ;)
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

I used to be subbed to NYT, Wired, and New Yorker. However, I cancelled them because I didn't peruse them enough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Rex Francorum

I don't pay any subscription. All the medias I consult are "free" (Radio-Canada, La Presse, Le Soleil).
To rent

DGuller

WaPo and NYT for me.  I also used to subscribe to Medium, as I found a lot of interesting articles there for a while, but eventually canceled as the quality of articles got to be unacceptably low.  The main reason to pay for access is so that I don't have to filter out nonsense myself.

Syt

What I found interesting was how US newspaper subs seem cheaper than German language ones. NYT was $14 IIRC. German paper Die Zeit or Austrian paper Der Standard are both 20-22 EUR.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

No.
I can't even bring myself to pay for digital books.
I buy digital games these days, but try not to.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

For a lot of them though, I can "get by" on free articles per month / using private mode.  I probably use about 3 different devices regularly (work computer, home computer, phone), so that's three times the free articles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 01:32:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 01:29:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 01:25:29 PM

I don't need coverage of La Liga, there's plenty of that over here  :P

I'm looking for good, non click-baity, coverage of yank sports. Grantland used to scratch that itch, but The Ringer isn't quite there.

It's not really the place for just national-level, day-to-day scores and whatnot.  If you're looking for that I think just ESPN would be your best bet.

But if you want super-indepth coverage of specific teams it's wonderful.

I'll take the free trial once there's actual sports going and see, I guess. I'm interested in basketball, MLS, and kinda the NFL, but the only yank teams I support are the Giants and the Knicks, and I'm not sure I want to read detailed coverage of them  :lol:

At The Ringer they have an ongoing rib on the Knicks, even from contributors who are admitedly Knicks fans. Nowadays they're doing a series on the drafts, reviewing and redrafting them, and they have a permanent section called "How the Knicks fucked up".  :lol:

Monoriu