I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Tamas

I think my credentials as a proponent of lockdowns are beyond question, but at some point we will have to roll the ball down the hill and hope the vaccination level will keep it slow and manageable. The time might not be here just yet (seeing the Indian variant and all) but we got to be close.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 01, 2021, 05:19:07 AM
I think my credentials as a proponent of lockdowns are beyond question, but at some point we will have to roll the ball down the hill and hope the vaccination level will keep it slow and manageable. The time might not be here just yet (seeing the Indian variant and all) but we got to be close.

Certainly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2021, 05:18:46 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 01, 2021, 05:15:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2021, 05:10:32 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 01, 2021, 04:55:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2021, 04:12:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 03:33:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2021, 03:27:31 AM
I think what it does is make mockery of the restrictions on meeting in groups. That feels like a gathering of more than 30.
How? It doesn't look like they're all one group to me. It looks like lots of groups - of families, friends etc - on the same beach.

And the rule has never been that we have individual responsibility to make sure that us and the groups around us don't, in aggregate, mean 6+ or 30+ because that's impossible. Pub gardens or beaches or parks aren't, to my understanding, limited to a cap of 30 people.

When you are all that close, disingenuous to talk about being split up groups.

Looks like the concentration of people you could see in the high street, or in department stores. Having them mostly stationary on a beach seems preferable, if anything.

Besides, no amount of policing will get people to stay indoors this week.

Not sure how that relates to what I said.

You seemed to imply there shouldn't be more than 30 people in a given space, including a beach.

The government has guidelines on how many people can be in a group outdoors. I think it seems odd to then suggest this isn't an obvious breach of guidelines because people are sitting on their own groups back to back with other groups.

But isn't the rule you need to keep 2 meters from other groups (of up to 30)? Which is something people will typically already do on a beach, even before Covid.

Grey Fox

I'm sceptic of all Beach photos showing they are crowded. Angles & lenses matter. When taken from ground level, they rarely paint an accurate picture of what is actually happening.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2021, 05:55:32 AM
I'm sceptic of all Beach photos showing they are crowded. Angles & lenses matter. When taken from ground level, they rarely paint an accurate picture of what is actually happening.

Yeah exactly. Also these whiny, moralistic Daily Mail takes are both cringe and counterproductive. You could personally always be more cautious, triple-masking while under 5 layers of canvas while outdoors, what, don't you want to to stop covid?

Personal behavior for instance here was only one aspect of the response to covid. Collective action like border controls, test & trace, etc were really what managed to curtail social spread.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 03:06:59 AMBut the fact that it was getting national news/shaming people outside shows how we are still not talking enough about how this is spread by aerosols and how important ventilation is (not hand-washing etc) :bleeding:

It behaves like a highly contagious airborne/aerosol virus at this point. Kinda like measles. The clusters we're seeing here are all indoors, highly random depending on whimsical air currents and time the infected individual spent in the indoor environment. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Went to the city centre yesterday.
It was weird.
And still can't just walk into somewhere to eat which is sad.
But shops open as normal, nice.
Lots more shutter gaps than before hand though....
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 03:06:59 AM
:lol: I was actually in Bournemouth and it was heaving.

It was 25 in Bournemouth - perfect weather :w00t:

And the beaches, the square, the gardens were all very busy. But - crucially - all outside.

Did you enjoy the traffic jams on the way home?  :P

Or if you went on the train, shelf how was the SWT service and level of crowding, I ask as I'm gonna start using them next week.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I went to Seaham on Saturday.
As soon as we got there the fog closed in and nothing could be seen.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2021, 07:56:48 AM
I went to Seaham on Saturday.
As soon as we got there the fog closed in and nothing could be seen.

Did you See ham?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

There was a woman who moved here named Ruth Funk from New York City who (like many, many New Yorkers) to retire.  She had been an artist in Greenwich Village back in the Bohemian days, before there were even Beatniks.  She grew bored in her retirement and found there weren't many art stores in costal Florida back in those days (the 1970s); but there were a lot of fabric stores so she switched media and became a fashion designer.  She designed jackets like this one:

and met with some critical success.  Near the end of her life she donated about 80 pieces to the local university (Florida Institute of Technology) and they founded a textile museum (Ruth Funk Textile Center.)  Last year that became a victim of covid and the university is planning to repurpose the museum as an Esport arena.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I went to an extended family gathering for Memorial Day.  12 people there, one vaccine hesitant, not yet vaccinated.

Not bad for rural Iowa.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2021, 05:18:46 AM
The government has guidelines on how many people can be in a group outdoors. I think it seems odd to then suggest this isn't an obvious breach of guidelines because people are sitting on their own groups back to back with other groups.

They aren't. Most likely they're reasonably far away from each other.

https://www.boredpanda.com/different-perspective-telephoto-lens-vs-wide-angle-philip-davali-olafur-steinar-ry/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

garbon

Thank you for showing me something that was already disseminated and discussed on Languish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

It's a bad example anyhow because on the left they don't appear to be standing that close AND it looks photoshopped.