I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Jacob

If I had my choice, I think my preference would be the J&J vaccine. I'd also prefer not to have a Chinese or Russian vaccine for reasons that are probably political more than anything else.

Bottom line, however, is that I'll take whatever is offered when it's my turn... which looks to be May, according to the current (and much improved) schedule.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 02:04:09 PM
If I had my choice, I think my preference would be the J&J vaccine. I'd also prefer not to have a Chinese or Russian vaccine for reasons that are probably political more than anything else.

Bottom line, however, is that I'll take whatever is offered when it's my turn... which looks to be May, according to the current (and much improved) schedule.

Aren't the mRNA vaccines supposed to be the gold standard (even if they have a higher chance or getting a reaction after injection)?

But not like either of us will get a choice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 19, 2021, 02:08:24 PMAren't the mRNA vaccines supposed to be the gold standard (even if they have a higher chance or getting a reaction after injection)?

But not like either of us will get a choice.
For what it's worth the Scottish study of over 1 million people (mainly elderly) who'd received the vaccine in the real world actually showed the best results were with the AZ vaccine, especially among the over 80s. But they messed up their clinical trials data and have had numerous PR issues since, so they don't get a positive perception :lol: :(

If I had a choice I'd probably also go for the J&J because it's single shot - and I don't have an issue with needles but it would be nice to have once and you're done thing. I'd take anything that was approved as soon as I got the chance because my view is generally the best vaccine is the one that I can get :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

This think isn't really over yet, I've seen blue-lighting ambulances 3 out of the 5 times I've cycled the 0.75 mile alongside the local A-road (A338 Salisbury to Bm'th) in the last week or so.

Also the small town cemetery I passed today had flower evidence for 2-4 recent funerals.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I got shot one of Moderna vaccine. I would have liked to get J&J also for the one shot, but I'm fine with whatever is available. I do know people now who have gotten the J&J vaccine, such as my cousin's wife who is a teacher. The state is pushing for teachers to get vaccinated so schools can open.

Iormlund

I'd also prefer not to have a Chinese or Russian vaccine for reasons that are probably political more than anything else.

I have no reason to believe Chinese or Russian scientists are worse than those in the West.

However I have ample experience in safety-critical applications, and lack of transparency or wide-spread corruption are not exactly the best indicators for top-notch quality control.
Often times individual companies have to provide this credibility (eg. you trust Mercedes or Audi to properly audit their manufacturing base in México). That's very hard to pull off when the consumer has never heard about Sinopharm or Sinovac.

The Russians have already started the review process with EMA, which is somewhat reassuring. As for quality control, I read they were looking to build capacity in the EU, which in my view would put them on par with AZ, J&J etc.

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on March 21, 2021, 05:51:50 AM
I'd also prefer not to have a Chinese or Russian vaccine for reasons that are probably political more than anything else.

I have no reason to believe Chinese or Russian scientists are worse than those in the West.

I have very good reason to believe they are not.

I believe that an open, transparent, and liberal society is better at fostering the kind of curiousity, intellectual stimulation, education, and desire to break through accepted dogma that is critical to doing actual science.

To the extent that China is able to even keep up is, IMO, largely driven by their radically different standards around simple stealing knowledge they cannot create themselves, and their being very content to outsource their science education to the US and Canada.

Russian and Chinese quality control, I would not fucking trust for a second. Russia especially. I have no doubt that the decision to release any Russian vaccine goes through the desk of one V. Putin, and his decision has little to do with any actual evaluation of its efficacy or safety, and any report of the same is based on his review. If the numbers for its utility and safety are aligned with its ACTUAL utility and safety, that is a matter of blind luck then anything else.

I would not take a Russian vaccine until there was some evidence from outside of Russia that it works and was safe. Anything else, and I would assume that my knowledge of its safety and utility amounts to "Because Vladimir said so". Pass.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2021, 07:40:30 AM
I would not take a Russian vaccine until there was some evidence from outside of Russia that it works and was safe. Anything else, and I would assume that my knowledge of its safety and utility amounts to "Because Vladimir said so". Pass.
Their trial data has been published in peer-reviewed Western medical journals. There's no reason not to think the Sputnik vaccine is safe and effective. And it still needs to be approved by our own regulators before it would be offered to us - in Europe I think they've applied for the approval from the EMA.

Plus it's like AstraZeneca the big question is supply chain because it's not being manufactured in one or two big centres in Russia but around the world. So I don't think it'd be relying on Russian manufacturers either (although they also need to be approved and batches are tested). I think they're looking at factories in Germany and Italy as well as other locations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

While I am largely ok with the Russian vaccine, as I understand the Western peer review has been the review of data provided by tests made in Russia. And they started using the stuff before clinical trials finished. Meaning, there had to be considerable political pressure/concern not to find anything wrong at that stage, considering it was already in use. I still think it's ok (as you know I am miffed at my father not accepting it) but I can totally understand reservations considering which country produced it under what circumstances.

The Chinese vaccines I have zero trust in. The Russians at least published their trial data for others to review. The Chinese have refused to do so / haven't actually completed all trials. The only reason to hide such a thing is if you have something to hide.

Grey Fox

If Chineses & Russians vaccines were the only available I would assume that a Covid-19 vaccine didn't exist yet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I'm pretty exhausted. Except shops (and recently reopened museums) pretty much everything has been closed since November.

The first lockdown, where we worked from home for 3 months was easy enough. Being an introvert, I was ok with spending more time by myself.

This time it's 5 months home office going on 6, with no real end in sight (except for a one week work trip to Switzerland that was all work and no free time). I'm talking to friends, of course, but except for shopping for groceries I barely step outside and spend my days between work computer, couch, and private computer. Not being able to plan my working hours doesn't really help with calls often being scheduled on short notice - I might learn at noon that I will be on a call at 2. At least my Fridays remain free.

I've been dieting and working out a bit and lost some weight. I try to stick with it, but it ain't easy. Having a nerve issue that causes a near-permanent itch under my left shoulder blade that gets exacerbated by workout doesn't help.

The last two or three weeks I've been feeling myself slipping into depression again. I'm conscious of it and work against it, but I really look forward to 2 weeks off in April where I don't have to look at any work related stuff.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2021, 01:13:56 PM
I'm pretty exhausted. Except shops (and recently reopened museums) pretty much everything has been closed since November.

The first lockdown, where we worked from home for 3 months was easy enough. Being an introvert, I was ok with spending more time by myself.

This time it's 5 months home office going on 6, with no real end in sight (except for a one week work trip to Switzerland that was all work and no free time). I'm talking to friends, of course, but except for shopping for groceries I barely step outside and spend my days between work computer, couch, and private computer. Not being able to plan my working hours doesn't really help with calls often being scheduled on short notice - I might learn at noon that I will be on a call at 2. At least my Fridays remain free.

I've been dieting and working out a bit and lost some weight. I try to stick with it, but it ain't easy. Having a nerve issue that causes a near-permanent itch under my left shoulder blade that gets exacerbated by workout doesn't help.

The last two or three weeks I've been feeling myself slipping into depression again. I'm conscious of it and work against it, but I really look forward to 2 weeks off in April where I don't have to look at any work related stuff.

:hug:

Sorry to hear that. I've been seeing this around me more and more lately, it's starting to really get to some people.

But the longest stretch of this is certainly behind us now, and the dark season, too.

I've been doing the workout from home as well, every work day. Me and a friend are keeping tabs on each other to make sure we actually do it. That helps a lot, I would have dropped the ball long ago otherwise. Those workouts, and a morning and mid-day stroll, really help me from sinking to a place I don't want to be.

Sheilbh

I know a lot of the feeling there - except in relation to dieting or working out which I have not done through lockout with somewhat inevitable results :ph34r:

And I do wonder if there's been an element of depression in me going through lockdown - especially during this lockdown because winter doesn't help. As someone who is fundamentally quite lazy and happy to just veg out in front of the TV a lot of the time I'm not sure if my mood of no motivation and sort of apathy is just me with no plans or some form of lockdown depression. I'm not sure. I find the change of the seasons very helpful though which makes me think it might have been a bit without me realising.

Separately (though related to the lack of dieting) my favourite local restaurant (Xinjiang Chinese :mmm:) has, after a year, re-opened for takeaway. This is dangerous news :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Syt, lots of people have similar feelings - depression, loneliness, routine so messed up. Hang in there, many of us are in similar condition. I have a couple of older cousins who have barely left the house. They get food delivered by a service which has been a popular service in this shutdown.

I think I'm feeling ok. Working from home has been fine with me. I do get out as I pretty much can go to the places I used to - grocery store, hardware stores, coffee shop and even the mall closest to me has been open for a while. But I haven't seen some older relatives for a while nor have there been any family gatherings, so I do miss those and seeing those people.

Syt

Thanks guys - I've suffered from depression in the past (last time I used a serotonin absorption blocker to help get through it).

I've been feeling better the last few days, and it's only this and next week (which is shortened due to Easter Monday) before a bit of a work break at least, which is something I greatly look forward to. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.