49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 09, 2021, 01:54:49 PM
Just realized that today it's been a year since I've last been on a plane.

Christ, you probably avoided being stranded by the skin of your teeth then. The lockdown anniversary (yay!) is in 5 days.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2021, 02:32:46 PM

Christ, you probably avoided being stranded by the skin of your teeth then. The lockdown anniversary (yay!) is in 5 days.

Yeah, we joked that if we had scheduled the trip for just a few days later we'd have been stranded in Norway.  :lol:

Jacob

My 96 year old grandpa - in Denmark - was "vaccine hesitant" but the family prevailed upon him and he got his vaccine last week.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on March 09, 2021, 02:36:07 PM
Yeah, we joked that if we had scheduled the trip for just a few days later we'd have been stranded in Norway.  :lol:

My brother was in Patagonia when everything closed down. It took them a while to get back to Germany.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2021, 02:32:46 PM

We got back from Aruba a week or two before the borders started to close.  It was good timing.
PDH!

ulmont

March 7-8, a one day work trip to Las Vegas from New Orleans.  I probably spread asymptomatic covid across three time zones.

Jacob

We cancelled a trip to China in Feb-Mar last year.

celedhring

I was supposed to travel to Madrid that March... to interview the staff at a hospital  :lol:

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2021, 09:41:27 AM
I was supposed to travel to Madrid that March... to interview the staff at a hospital  :lol:

:lol:

crazy canuck

We cancelled our trip to Scotland - we were going to visit our son who was spending a term there (he also had to come back) and spend most of the time with some Canadian friends in their family home in the Orkneys.  We are definitely looking forward to giving it another go, probably next year (except our son will be somewhere else and so will not have to put up with spending a couple of days with us  :D).

Friends from Australia had spent a few years planning their grand year long walkabout of Canada (and a few select parts of the US).   We were going to spend a couple of weeks with them on a cruise and tour of Alaska.  But they had to cancel all their plans.  Really hoping they get a redo on that when all is clear.

Jacob

I reckon travel and hospitality is going to be in for a boom once things are deemed safe.

Iormlund

Yeah. Though I'm still worried about mutations. We've failed completely to screen travelers for the past year. I don't think that's going to change.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2021, 12:37:44 PM
I reckon travel and hospitality is going to be in for a boom once things are deemed safe.
YES. I cannot wait to get back in pubs, restaurants and holidays :lol:

QuoteYeah. Though I'm still worried about mutations. We've failed completely to screen travelers for the past year. I don't think that's going to change.
Yeah - we're still titting about. No serious controls or screening or quarantine :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Re. mutations and such - I think this now will just be a new way to die we'll learn to live with, and if you are over 40 when you get a serious case of the flu you'll be wondering if this is going to land you in the hospital, the same way how over-80s might think about the old type of flu. Maybe through enough mutations it will eventually become mild enough to just be that, another version of the usual flu.

Hopefully it will also mean that it will be socially unacceptable to "soldier on" in the office when you have a serious cold/flu and you are spraying virus/bacteria around you. I'd be fine with that.

Eddie Teach

That'd be great for salaried office workers. Still leaves a lot of people choosing between going to work sick and staying home broke.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?