49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
So now I know a couple of people who have lost relatives. A neighbor's uncle and a co-worker's relative. I think those are the first Covid deaths I've heard about from people close to me.
Sorry bud.

So far my cousin's wife's aunt has died from it, and the stepfather of one of my friends (who incidentally was a 'COVID IS FAKE NEWS' person, right up till the very end).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2021, 08:48:13 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 12, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
So now I know a couple of people who have lost relatives. A neighbor's uncle and a co-worker's relative. I think those are the first Covid deaths I've heard about from people close to me.
Sorry bud.

So far my cousin's wife's aunt has died from it, and the stepfather of one of my friends (who incidentally was a 'COVID IS FAKE NEWS' person, right up till the very end).
Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Duque de Bragança

Curfew advanced to 18.00 hours from today on, still ending at 06.00 the following day. Previously, it started at 20.00.

Back to exemption certificates, due to the change.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 16, 2021, 08:00:39 AM
Curfew advanced to 18.00 hours from today on, still ending at 06.00 the following day. Previously, it started at 20.00.

Back to exemption certificates, due to the change.

Why doesn't the UK have a curfew?

Maybe we 'like' a daily death toll three or four times that of France? :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Curfew here is at 22h at the moment, used to be 23h. Some regions are implementing (or trying to implement) a curfew at 20h, and the possibility of it being at 18h has also been flouted.

Syt

I have returned, hale and hearty!

On Sunday we drove to Switzerland, with several border crossings (you generally drive from Vienna via Linz and Munich to avoid the Alpine roads, drive is about 7 hours without breaks, and takes longer through the mountains; our rental car was a BMW 530d; the 4 wheel drive came in handy during the snowfalls this week; we saw about 70cm of snow in a day):
Austria => Germany => Austria => Switzerland

Germany had mandatory online registration, unless just transiting, plus mandatory negative PCR test. We were just waved through. (They pulled over a lot of Romanians, though.)

Going back to Austria (you cross into Bregenz/Vorarlberg before entering Switzerland), police asked us the purpose of our trip, we explained it was business, showed them the company letter to that effect, and we could continue.

On the Swiss border the guards asked us if we were importing tobacco or alcohol, our purpose of the journey, and then waved us through, without any check of papers or contents of the car.

While we were in Switzerland we basically spent time only in our respective hotel rooms and in the office. We ordered breakfast and dinner to our rooms (we went to meet colleagues in the hotel restaurant on Monday and it was crazy crowded  and no one seemed to take any precautions whatsoever).

We did our next PCR test on Thursday. Meanwhile, Austria also added mandatory online registration with mandatory quarantine, unless you fall under any exception (which we do). So we were curious about the journey back.

Switzerland => Austria: no checks, no guards.
Austria => Germany: nothing, not even a checkpoint.
Germany => Austria: there was a queue, but we were just waved through.

Yay for "tough" controls? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 16, 2021, 10:05:24 AM
Curfew here is at 22h at the moment, used to be 23h. Some regions are implementing (or trying to implement) a curfew at 20h, and the possibility of it being at 18h has also been flouted.

It's impossible to enforce a 18h curfew in this country. Most people leave work at 19h.

Duque de Bragança

More and more rumors of an incoming lockdown in France, as in March-April of last year.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 25, 2021, 05:25:57 AM
More and more rumors of an incoming lockdown in France, as in March-April of last year.
This doesn't surprise me. I've been a little worried about France since I saw comments by the health minister that there are hundreds of infections of the new UK variant every day, but there was no sign that they needed a stricter lockdown (especially in schools).

I think looking at a lot of Europe from here it basically reminds me of this time last year. I just don't feel enough countries have taken the risks of this new variant seriously enough and tried to get ahead of it and fully lockdown before they've got hundreds of new community infections daily.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2021, 05:34:14 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 25, 2021, 05:25:57 AM
This doesn't surprise me. I've been a little worried about France since I saw comments by the health minister that there are hundreds of infections of the new UK variant every day, but there was no sign that they needed a stricter lockdown (especially in schools).

I think looking at a lot of Europe from here it basically reminds me of this time last year. I just don't feel enough countries have taken the risks of this new variant seriously enough and tried to get ahead of it and fully lockdown before they've got hundreds of new community infections daily.

Indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Incidentally - and the same happened in the last lockdown - one of the saddest things about lockdowns is the rise in domestic violence. I do some pro bono work with a domestic violence charity (basically to help get restraining orders so if an abuser turns up you can call the police). Last lockdown we all got an email from them for help because they were drowning in cases and people asking for help - and I've just received the same email again :(
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2020, 05:08:57 PM
I get the first Modern a shot tomorrow. Ill keep you all posted for any side effects.

Second Moderna shot basically a kick in the ass. Out of 15 officers receiving the second shot 10 have had varying degrees of side effects, 1 had none, 4 are unknown at this time.

Common side effects to all
Bad headache
Fever
Chills with uncontrollable shaking.

Onset 8-12 after injection lasting for Up to 24 hours or so.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

So in my region we're now in a lockdown in almost everything but name. From wednesday and for at least 3 weeks, all bars and restaurants will have to close except for take away orders and deliveries, gyms have to close, all shops except those considered essential have to close by 18h, no socializing with those outside your home, all cultural venues to fully close, most sporting events will be cancelled as well (excepting professional sport), physical lessons in university cancelled, etc. Except primary and secondary schools remaining open, not much else will be happening.

Syt

I noticed that the sausage stand near me which serves excellent food offers take away and delivery during the pandemic. Since it's been a while since I had a proper sausage from a Würstlstand I partook in the offer yesterday for lunch. It was glorious.

(Though the proper experience is to have it at the stand, with a beer, in silence, or chatting with whoever else is there.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

In other culinary lockdown news, Five Guys Burger opened yesterday in Vienna, in the most touristy part of town. Couldn't have picked a better time. :D

I may order some over the weekend, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould