I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

The Larch

My two grandmas passed away very close from each other two years ago, and in a way it is a relief that they didn't live up to the covid crisis, as they would surely be scared senseless and all the family would be extremely stressed about it.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on December 18, 2020, 06:27:40 AM
Managed a video call with my just-turned-99 grandma.  :cry:

It's not easy as I haven't been able to convince my parents to get smartphones for themselves. But my brother-in-law setup a hotspot for a laptop on his mobile, plus a speaker so she could hear me ok. It was great but also gut-wrenching. Can't wait to hop on a plane once this mess subsidies.

I have one grandmother left - she's 90.  She really valued her independence but her growing dementia meant she had to be moved into a nursing home over the winter (before she was in an assisted-living place where she still maintained her own little apartment).  We were going to visit her last summer but of course Covid made that impossible.

I've been told she has good days and bad days (and the bad days are pretty bad), so I hope I can see her at least one more time.  She lives in Regina which is a 7-8 hour drive (and I have no other reason to visit Regina) so I don't get to see her often.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 18, 2020, 10:49:41 AM:(

My grandpa (her husband) died back in 1993. I have always considered it a big shame because I was too young (13 when he died) to really appreciate him, and I feel like I have missed out on a lot of quality time, so I "have the feels".
Yeah my paternal grandparents died before I was born so I never knew them.

Having said that all of my grandparents were apparently quite "difficult" at the most generous. Can confirm that's definitely true on my Mum's side. We tended to be closer to great aunts and uncles - I speak to my great uncle on the phone (he doesn't do facetiming etc) but it's very tough. I don't know why (British emotional issues probably) but he always feels he's being an imposition if he's on the phone and you must have something better to be getting on with, even if you assure him that the reason you phoned was to speak with him :(

Alternately he's got a very exotic other life and is sick to fuck of me nattering on :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Here's hoping you get to see your grandma soon, Tamas. :hug:

In First World issues: I asked my cleaning company to do my apartment today, a last time before Christmas. Normally they come weekly, but it's been patchy this year due to lockdown, me being at home a lot etc.

So I left my apartment and ... had no idea what to do. Normally I would just grab a book go to the café on the corner and while away a few hours. I didn't really want to go shopping, but nothing else is open. So I just went for a walk. Nowhere specific. Put on my headphones with an audio book and kept walking. I made 15 km (almost 10 miles) in 2.5 hours today according to Google maps (I took the subway back :P ). :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

I get the first Modern a shot tomorrow. Ill keep you all posted for any side effects.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I'm more interested in the brain control chip.

Josquius

I'm confused. Which one is the Bill Gates mind control chip one and which is the one that turns you into a monkey?
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2020, 06:36:28 PM
I'm confused. Which one is the Bill Gates mind control chip one and which is the one that turns you into a monkey?

All of them. Don't you watch OANN...
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Is it possible to return to monke?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2020, 05:08:57 PM
I get the first Modern a shot tomorrow. Ill keep you all posted for any side effects.
What put you to the front of the line?

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 28, 2020, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2020, 05:08:57 PM
What put you to the front of the line?

First Responder US Govmint.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Barrister on December 18, 2020, 10:57:55 AM

It's not easy as I haven't been able to convince my parents to get smartphones for themselves. But my brother-in-law setup a hotspot for a laptop on his mobile, plus a speaker so she could hear me ok. It was great but also gut-wrenching. Can't wait to hop on a plane once this mess subsidies.

I have one grandmother left - she's 90.  She really valued her independence but her growing dementia meant she had to be moved into a nursing home over the winter (before she was in an assisted-living place where she still maintained her own little apartment).  We were going to visit her last summer but of course Covid made that impossible.

I've been told she has good days and bad days (and the bad days are pretty bad), so I hope I can see her at least one more time.  She lives in Regina which is a 7-8 hour drive (and I have no other reason to visit Regina) so I don't get to see her often.
It's so sad that many families with elder relatives have been unable to see each other or especially get together which is so meaningful for people, especially elders. I have elder relatives and they take many precautions but have been able to spend a few minutes seeing the grand kids, but there haven't been any Holiday family meals or get togethers.

I hope you get to see your  grandmother soon. Hopefully the vaccine will make that happen sooner than later.

KRonn

Very nice!  :hug:

KRonn

My health care company is starting to get vaccines and are going by the CDC guidelines in vaccinating people. It'll be the front line health care workers first, then those of us in support jobs but I assume that'll be in February at the soonest, unless for those in support who go into the hospitals.