I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Tamas

Good point Sheilbh, I am guessing I would tell my manager that I can't really work but that I would try and keep email flows going, letting them know if I couldn't even do that.

My company has just now announced new policies re. WFH, they will come into effect from next year officially, but we are asked to start keeping to them already. They are about people having trouble separating working and private hours, and the seemingly ever escalating number of online meetings. So we are introducing daily time periods where meetings are forbidden unless absolutely necessary, and we are supposed to be exact with timeboxing them.

Makes sense overall. I always try to keep it to emails and text chat if that's viable but often it is easier to have a call. But that's been increasingly harder as even technical people started to have their calendars filled up, and managerial people have had nightmarish calendars for a while now. I am not sure if removing several hours in a day where I can talk to them will help that, but it is a good idea to try and address it.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2020, 05:04:59 AM
Does anyone else find it weird being ill when you're WFH all the time? Like I've had a couple of things in the last few months and I sort of feel like I should still try and work in a way, but I know I'd probably call in sick and not go into the office.
Yeah, very weird, I had what felt like a cold a couple of days ago as well.  Given that I didn't do any Covidiot stuff and never eased up the distancing stuff, I was puzzled as to how I could get it.  Now I'm wondering whether it was just a bad allergy with post-nasal drip giving me symptoms.  I also wonder if some colds could be sticking with you permanently, waiting for your immune system to slacken to flare up.

Barrister

Yeah I had a cold back in September (runny nose, sneezing, negative Covid test).  I did everything you're supposed to do - social distance, wear a mask, etc. so I was like "how the hell did I catch a cold"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

QuoteDoes anyone else find it weird being ill when you're WFH all the time? Like I've had a couple of things in the last few months and I sort of feel like I should still try and work in a way, but I know I'd probably call in sick and not go into the office.

Definitely.
When sick in the regular work world though doesn't everyone work from home very lazily?
Its been years since I had an actuall full-on can't work sick day.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

As a shut-in, I'm not quite sure how I'd get sick. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2020, 11:28:50 AM
Current status?

Have you got sick at all in you shut in phase?
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2020, 11:44:25 AM
Current status?

I think at issue here is our own definitions of sick and how those might have been warped by the lockdown/coronavirus lens.

My own view is runny noses and occasional periods of coughs are normal for Autumn and Winter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Maybe - though I am also fundamentally of a weak constitution and collapse at the merest sign of illness   :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2020, 11:44:25 AM
Current status?

No, just a few allergies but nothing else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

It felt like I had a cold for a week or so a couple of months back but maybe it was some kind of allergies.

merithyn

I don't think that it's specifically because of the COVID spike - though I know it doesn't help - but I have matching cold sores on my top and bottom lips.  :( That's forever how my body reacts to stress, and right now, things are at a crazy, all-time stressful moment.

Also, trying to calm my anxious son down who is worried that the latest lockdown in Portland is going to break him right as he's getting ready to move into his own place again while trying to explain to his sister why getting on a plane to Portland with her boyfriend just after Christmas isn't the wisest move at the moment... I'm so worn out over the whole COVID thing.

EDIT: Oh, and Oregon is on a two week "freeze" of social stuff, while Portland one-upped that and froze stuff down for four weeks.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2020, 12:58:57 PM
Maybe - though I am also fundamentally of a weak constitution and collapse at the merest sign of illness   :Embarrass:

Be careful how you use the term "constitution" on Languish.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

What is your amending formula, we might be able to fix you.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 13, 2020, 06:41:42 PM

What is your amending formula, we might be able to fix you.

Meri strikes me as a 7-50 type gal. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I'm exactly the same, but with work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.