49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2020, 11:46:23 AM
The sister of one of our good friends died of COVID.  She had been active and healthy.  She was in her early 50s and living in the NE of the US.  My friend was trying to figure out a way to go down and see her but was not able to get there in time because of how quickly the virus took her.

Damn, CC I'm sorry, that very sad.

And a good reminder how all of us should remember how this virus could take almost anyone of a mature age.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

My best friend's cousin, 35 years of age with two teenage kids, was last month diagnosed with leukemia and started treatments.  Last week they caught covid.  Last night, they died.

This is a shitty, shitty disease and a pox on all those who do not follow the rules.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: PDH on November 09, 2020, 04:02:48 PM
My best friend's cousin, 35 years of age with two teenage kids, was last month diagnosed with leukemia and started treatments.  Last week they caught covid.  Last night, they died.

This is a shitty, shitty disease and a pox on all those who do not follow the rules.

Sad to hear that PDH.

Also it's a perfect example of why we should all follow the rules and social distance / cut down out mobility and social interactions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

New restrictions imposed in Alberta for a 2 week period.

-no team sports (aka NO HOCKEY)
-restaurants/bars to close by 11
-ask no social gatherings in homes
-businesses asked to reduce numbers of employees at work

Premier suggests its our last chance to avoid even more restrictive conditions
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Woke up to emergency alert text with a link to Governor's  YouTube video where he didn't announce  or enact any new measures, basically just reinforce that hey this virus is serious.  :frusty:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

We've hit the huge infection rates we knew would come this fall/winter. More people we know are going to get it, and that means more people we know are going to die from it. Suddenly, it's more real for a lot of people out there.

What makes me angry is how many people need to see that before they start acting responsibly.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on November 12, 2020, 06:37:33 PM
We've hit the huge infection rates we knew would come this fall/winter. More people we know are going to get it, and that means more people we know are going to die from it. Suddenly, it's more real for a lot of people out there.

What makes me angry is how many people need to see that before they start acting responsibly.
Congressman Don Young ( age 87) announced he has COVID, after winning re election yesterday to his 25th term might not live to see the end of it.

Syt

I'm on day 3 of a low grade fever (37.5-38°C). Not much in terms of other symptoms. Slightly runny nose, fatigue, but no cough (bit of phlegm every now and then)sense of smell/taste is not affected.

I called the central phone number, but they say it's very unlikely to be Covid so they won't send a test team to me. Vienna is starting to set up mobile check stations where people with cold/flu symptoms can have themselves checked out, esp. since I've been in home office for two weeks now with very limited contact. They first do a quick antibody test, and if it's positive they do a full swab. They give appointments three days in advance, so I got one for Monday afternoon.

I looked at getting the test done at a private lab, but they all seem very insistent to not come to them if you have symptoms.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Syt

Thanks. It's probably not Covid. I've been working from home for the past two weeks, and only stepped out for shopping (where I mask up), and went for a longer walk once, keeping distance from people.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Mom tested negative for Covid antibodies this week. Given that her and dad are the only persons I have regular contact with I guess I can assume I would test the same  :hmm:

katmai

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2020, 03:28:36 AM
Thanks. It's probably not Covid. I've been working from home for the past two weeks, and only stepped out for shopping (where I mask up), and went for a longer walk once, keeping distance from people.
I figured, but still wishing best. I hate having colds and am biggest baby (shut up Brain) when suffering through them.

Sheilbh

Getting another covid test after a couple of days of a weird cough <_<

No other symptoms though - and I've no idea where I picked it up as I've barely left the flat in the last fortnight.

QuoteThanks. It's probably not Covid. I've been working from home for the past two weeks, and only stepped out for shopping (where I mask up), and went for a longer walk once, keeping distance from people.
Yeah - get well soon.

Does anyone else find it weird being ill when you're WFH all the time? Like I've had a couple of things in the last few months and I sort of feel like I should still try and work in a way, but I know I'd probably call in sick and not go into the office.
Let's bomb Russia!