49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on September 29, 2020, 03:26:15 AM
One of the first things I did when lockout restrictions started to get lifted back in spring here was getting a haircut and a proper beard trim, and since then I haven't had any problem in getting one every couple of months or so. How come do you guys take so long to get it cut?

I am growing it out.

My son had 4 haircut in the same time period.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on September 29, 2020, 07:21:40 AM
The lockdown helped me make the decision to transition from a balding man to a bald man.  Some may say though that the transition happened a lot earlier than that.

Not there yet, but I did try the buzz look as a preview.

After that I've trimmed it every couple months (one cm at the top going shorter as you go down). It's kind of tricky without help, but it seems to be working out.

Tonitrus

With the help of Youtube, I taught myself to cut my own hair 3-4 years ago.  Admittedly, my employer-mandated haircut rules make it pretty easy...but I don't wimp out and go with the easy buzzcut either.

It's a bit nerve-wracking the first time...you gotta be ready to commit to a full reset (i.e. that buzzcut) and start over...but then it gets easier and easier.

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on September 29, 2020, 04:25:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2020, 04:22:25 AM
These are the ones. We used to meet weekly to play live. Now, we still play remotely via Tabletopia, but it's just more people on screens.

Paranoid much? I mean, we've been having our gaming sessions back in schedule since june or so already.

My gaming group still doesn't meet in person, and we've had far fewer cases than you guys. Online works, and why potentially expose ourselves/others needlessly? Yeah, we prefer to meet in person, but there will be time enough for that later.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2020, 06:18:01 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 29, 2020, 04:50:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2020, 04:44:42 AMI've only met up with friends twice since this all began.

That sounds a bit crazy to me. Aren't you getting some kind of cabin fever?

It has been quite tedious. However, for a while, many things I liked to do outside the home (travel, restaurants, bars, museums, theatres, cinemas) were closed. And while they have now re-opened, I mostly tend to think is this activity something I'm willing to take a chance getting sick doing taking into account my African-American heritage and hypertension. And thus far, no activity has seemed appealing enough to want to risk it.

Same. Other than to go grocery shopping or walking the dog, I rarely leave the apartment. I did go to dinner with a friend earlier this week. It's my third time in a restaurant since March, I think.

Taking the risk to fly to Illinois this summer felt so wrong that I'm still trying to pay it forward by exposing myself - and therefore others - as little as I can.

Grey Fox

5.5 millions out of the ~8 millions Quebec resident are in social lockdown. No visiting friends & family inside or outside, no restaurant, movies or anything art related.

Government is trying to get the cops to give more tickets (1500$) than warnings.

Barrister

Good news!  Alberta is not cancelling Halloween!  Instead they've come out with a whole bunch of suggestions for how to do it safely.

https://www.alberta.ca/halloween-during-covid19.aspx
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 12:45:30 PM
Good news!  Alberta is not cancelling Halloween!  Instead they've come out with a whole bunch of suggestions for how to do it safely.

I have to ask, BB. Is this really good news? Like, are you planning to take your boys around?

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2020, 12:53:20 PM

I have to ask, BB. Is this really good news? Like, are you planning to take your boys around?

I imagine so, yes.  Halloween is like the 2nd biggest day in the kid calendar.

The steps suggested make sense (stay within your cohort groups, hand out candy outside, give candy bags rather than bulk candy)

Dr Hinshaw, our Chief Medical Officer of Health, pointed out that because trick or treating happens outside it's safer than a lot of other holidays.  Besides, she said, her own kids would never forgive her if she cancelled Halloween.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2020, 01:03:16 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2020, 12:53:20 PM

I imagine so, yes.  Halloween is like the 2nd biggest day in the kid calendar.

The steps suggested make sense (stay within your cohort groups, hand out candy outside, give candy bags rather than bulk candy)

Dr Hinshaw, our Chief Medical Officer of Health, pointed out that because trick or treating happens outside it's safer than a lot of other holidays.  Besides, she said, her own kids would never forgive her if she cancelled Halloween.

Hopes and prayers that no one regrets this decision.

Valmy

We are taking our kids around. Everybody is going to leave their candy in bowls six feet outside their homes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2020, 01:21:40 PM
Hopes and prayers that no one regrets this decision.

Sending them back to school, and sending them back to hockey, are probably much bigger risks because those are ongoing, and not just one day for an hour or two.

Edmonton's number are fairly stable, there have been zero cases in the kids neighbourhood school which has been open for one month now.

Mrs B and I aren't Covid-deniers.  We wear masks, we wash our hands, we social distance.  But a vaccine likely won't be available and distributed till next summer.  We can't just be in lockdown till then.  We'll accept some increased level of risk where appropriate.

Grey Fox

We're on semi lockdown until the 28 of October. So far Halloween is happening. It's bigger than Christmas for my children, so we will be giving out candy and trick or treating.

Eddie Teach

Sounds like you don't spend enough on presents.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn