49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

merithyn

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2020, 06:29:34 AM
So looks like my Malta holiday is off. Was originally gonna go end of May, but with all going on then, decided to postpone till October.
Now my travel agent calls and says Alitalia (I was flying though Rome) cancelled all flights to Canada for 2020.
I could find other flights but they have me flying all over the world (Toronto-Newark-Paris-Malta) etc. I don't really want to do that. Plus, it's partially a relief.
The problem with Canada right now for travellers is that no country is white listed, and when we get back we'll have to self-isolate for 14 days. Which is why lots of airlines aren't bothering with Canada anymore, since so few people are travelling.
I guess I'll reschedule for next year.

Will you be able to do something in Canada at least? Go camping/glamping/hiking?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

Things out here seem to be spiraling out of control. Perfect time to schedule the plant shutdown (and thus mandatory vacation).  :glare:

merithyn

Quote from: Iormlund on August 04, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
Things out here seem to be spiraling out of control. Perfect time to schedule the plant shutdown (and thus mandatory vacation).  :glare:

Paid? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Iormlund

Yes, of course. Unpaid vacations are not really a thing here, except for the likes of Celed (self employed workers).

Regarding the outbreak, I just found the figures for every city health area. Basically I live at the very center of the current epidemic.  :ph34r:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on August 04, 2020, 12:14:07 PM
Yes, of course. Unpaid vacations are not really a thing here, except for the likes of Celed (self employed workers).
Yeah. I've had unpaid leave once. When you qualify as a lawyer it's common that you'll be offered qualification leave by your firm and where I am that was that I take two weeks (paid) holiday but can then add an additional three weeks of unpaid leave onto the end of it.

Needless to say they earn that unpaid leave back :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on August 04, 2020, 04:35:21 AM
Covid is surging in my brother's town.

Him and his wife actually got tested two days ago and came out negative, but we're supposed to have a family celebration this weekend (my birthday) and I don't know what to do.

Tough one, yeah.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 12:17:48 PM
Yeah. I've had unpaid leave once. When you qualify as a lawyer it's common that you'll be offered qualification leave by your firm and where I am that was that I take two weeks (paid) holiday but can then add an additional three weeks of unpaid leave onto the end of it.

Is "gardening leave" still a thing?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 04, 2020, 12:46:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 12:17:48 PM

Is "gardening leave" still a thing?  :P
Yes - the dream :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Had my first experience with a hoaxer.  Was picking up dinner at the Regal Beagle and this crusty old fart drives up and asks me why I'm wearing a mask.  I say because of Covid, and he says "there ain't no virus."

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2020, 07:08:37 PM
Had my first experience with a hoaxer.  Was picking up dinner at the Regal Beagle and this crusty old fart drives up and asks me why I'm wearing a mask.  I say because of Covid, and he says "there ain't no virus."
Was he convincing?

Josquius

Damn tooting there ain't no virus. It's very real.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Nobody has ever seen the virus  :P

Syt

Our office updated the Covid guidelines. People in the office "should" keep a distance of 2 meters at all times (up from 1.50 m), and it's "highly recommended" to wear masks and disposable gloves in all communal areas (hallways, meeting rooms, restrooms, kitchen) and during face to face meetings.

Of course nobody follows it, but I guess the company is covered. :mellow:

I mean, the rule that only one person should be in the kitchen at any time lasted for a hot minute at best.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Do they provide masks and gloves?