49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Tamas

The Brain

How high does the stone scale go? I'm asking for a katmai.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2020, 10:51:47 PM
Austria uses metric of course, but has a minor quirk. When ordering cold cuts at the deli counter in a supermarket you will not order in grams but dekagrams instead, or deka for short, i.e. instead of 60 grams of prosciutto you'd ask for 6 deka of it.

Heh, never seen dekagrams used everyday life before.

When I was a kid, some grocers still used the Spanish pound.

Josquius

As said I've never used pounds for anything. I have no concept of them.
Oddly however I always grew up using, and still do use, quarters. Which is a quarter pound though never thought of that way.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Austria uses metric of course, but has a minor quirk. When ordering cold cuts at the deli counter in a supermarket you will not order in grams but dekagrams instead, or deka for short, i.e. instead of 60 grams of prosciutto you'd ask for 6 deka of it.

Heh, in Italy they use "etto" also for cold cuts, which is 100 grams.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on May 22, 2020, 04:43:14 AM

We still use ons (ounce) and pond (pound), but they have been recalibrated for the metric system. A pond used to be rougly 480 grams and was changed to 500 grams. Ons, like the ounce, used to be a 16th of a pond (~30 grams), but is now one decagram.

Sheilbh

No idea about quarters. Also obvs I use imperial for human heights. So thinking about it, it's basically imperial = human size measurements, distance and things that are measured in pints and metric = everything else.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on May 22, 2020, 04:55:23 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 22, 2020, 04:43:14 AM

We still use ons (ounce) and pond (pound), but they have been recalibrated for the metric system. A pond used to be rougly 480 grams and was changed to 500 grams. Ons, like the ounce, used to be a 16th of a pond (~30 grams), but is now one decagram.

In Germany we still used Pfund, i.e. 500 g. Mostly when buying groceries (apples, ground beef, potatoes ...). Austrians looked at me weird when I described the default 500g bag of coffee beans as "a pound". :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2020, 04:07:59 AM
Always looking out for me.  :hug:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

53. 53 stones is a rock.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

In a addition to the pound, the hundredweight ("Zentner") is used in Germany to indicate 100 pound (i.e. 50kg).

Inches are used to measure tires and screen sizes here.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2020, 05:24:36 AM

53. 53 stones is a rock.

katmai = 30 rock?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Are pounds and inches the same everywhere?

I know there's multiple different tonnes but at the lower end is it all the same?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 05:49:52 AM
Are pounds and inches the same everywhere?

I know there's multiple different tonnes but at the lower end is it all the same?

The pound is slightly different everywhere. But I'm not sure if the countries that still kinda use it (besides US/UK) have standardized it.

Spanish pound was 460 grs, for example.

Sheilbh

Interesting - apparently UK and US measurements are the same for ounces and pounds and then start diverging. So a pound is 453g here and there :hmm:

This would be useful if US cookbooks didn't use cups as the measurement which can present challenges :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!